PDA

View Full Version : City Slicker

Drazhar
2018-09-02, 01:12 PM
So I'm trying to come up with a character that will be at home in a city setting. Rogues are a given, but what character ideas do you have or have played before in a city campaign.

Kadesh
2018-09-02, 01:42 PM
Eladrin Fey Warlock with Mask of Many Faces conning people out of money, before using their Winter Form Teleport to scare those pursuing them, and then alter appearance when in the shadow.

Goliath Gladiator Barbaria looking for employ after being freed, but his drinking and gamboing cost him all his money. Taken as a child, all he knows is the City and a desire to achieve aristocracy and recognition, but who knows what might happen if he is given the chance once he has achieved that to reunite with his people? When he rages, the ghosts of those from his tribe appear although he has no knowledge of who they are.

Dwarf Monk Urchin pickpocket, acting as the artful dodger to a Fagin-like character. However, fagin was a former ascetic at a temple, and teaches the lads and gorls under him martial arts as a way to keep them save and as a means to keep others within the slums safe against the predations of more dangerous organized crime, the city guard, and potentially invading armies. The martial arts is known as 'The Key', and unlocks the power of the soul, causing those who master the arts to use their ways, some being able to have preternatural skill with the daggers, others able to shoot beams of light, and yet others unnatural resilience.

Nifft
2018-09-02, 03:36 PM
So I'm trying to come up with a character that will be at home in a city setting. Rogues are a given, but what character ideas do you have or have played before in a city campaign.

Open Hand Monk - the ultimate mundane bouncer.

Lore Bard - "cities are where the books live!"

Knowledge Cleric or GOO Warlock - mind-reading is more useful in a target-rich environment.

Vengeance Paladin - "I'm Batman."

Expected
2018-09-02, 04:30 PM

The Criminal/Urchin background would be perfect. You could also take the Urchin's background feature City Dweller (moving twice the speed in a city you are familiar with).

Rixitichil
2018-09-02, 04:38 PM
Sorcerer with Subtle spell and a selection of illusions and enchantments.
Enchanter Wizard

Crgaston
2018-09-02, 08:54 PM
An Urchin or Urban Bounty Hunter background Gloomstalker who is at home in the alleys, basements, sewers and nighttime rooftops.

A Courtier background Mastermind or Inquisitive Rogue, or a Glamour Bard for a mor social character.

Laserlight
2018-09-02, 10:03 PM
Sherlock Gnomes, with Insight, Investigation, Perception. My build was Knowledge cleric 1/wizard, but if I were doing it again I might go lore bard and ask the DM to let me use INT or WIS instead of CHA.

I had a barbarian half orc, Gok, who made kites and similar toys. Gave most of them away, but he liked to go sit on the city wall and fly kites between missions of cleaving demons.

Finback
2018-09-03, 02:46 AM
I'm surprised they haven't made a suitable Ranger subclass for the urban. Aside from any spells, it'd be easy enough - you're just reinterpreting tracking as being able to follow a crowd, ability to find shortcuts/parkour your way around town, and you can easily reflavour beast companions (wolf = loyal hound, hawk as dire pigeon..)

(note to self, try to make spell list)