PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Trickster Melee Weapon Choices

Expected
2018-09-02, 04:08 PM
Hello, everyone! I appreciate the useful feedback that I've received in my other threads. I'm now playing a Dex-based Wood Elf Arcane Trickster 1 but I'm not sure about which melee weapon I should use. I intend to get Elven Accuracy at level 4 for 18 Dex, ASI at level 8 for 20 Dex, and Sentinel at level 10 for Mirror Image + Sentinel Sneak Attack. I'm going to take Find Familiar (Owl) for constant tri-vantage until I can use Mage Hand Legerdemain's bonus action. I would also like to take Booming Blade and use it to boost dps (my increased crit chance makes this very appealing as I can roll BB's damage dice twice).

I've seen the detailed analysis of two-handed light weapons vs rapier and know that by choosing the latter, I may be decreasing my DPR. Now, seeing as I will be in the frontlines (I purposely started with 16 Con because of this), I need more AC than light armor and possibly Dual Wielding can provide me. I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to dip 1 level of Fighter at level 2 for Fighting Style (Defense) for +1 AC and shield proficiency +2AC. I know that rapier and shield is a popular combination, but I'd like to use a dagger and a shield for the option to throw it to apply Sneak Attack on my held action (due to Haste at higher levels) since I won't be able to move. Is this viable? and if so, is it optimal? Also, do Sentinel and Hold Action impede each other? If so, is Sentinel worth taking?

Exocist
2018-09-02, 04:46 PM
I've seen the detailed analysis of two-handed light weapons vs rapier and know that by choosing the latter, I may be decreasing my DPR. Now, seeing as I will be in the frontlines (I purposely started with 16 Con because of this), I need more AC than light armor and possibly Dual Wielding can provide me. I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to dip 1 level of Fighter at level 2 for Fighting Style (Defense) for +1 AC and shield proficiency +2AC. I know that rapier and shield is a popular combination, but I'd like to use a dagger and a shield for the option to throw it to apply Sneak Attack on my held action (due to Haste at higher levels) since I won't be able to move. Is this viable? and if so, is it optimal? Also, do Sentinel and Hold Action impede each other? If so, is Sentinel worth taking?

Fighter 1 is never a bad option (some might say take Fighter 2-3 even). In general, rogue’s higher level features aren’t great, so all you’re delaying is sneak attack (ATs also delay their casting progression slightly, so you won’t be able to haste or mirror image until a bit later). A 1drop for +3 AC or a 2 drop for action surge (double sneak attacks in the same vein as haste) is definitely worth it. 3 drop is iffy but could pay off.

Without fighter I prefer two weapons over rapier until you get to level 5 or so. The extra chance to sneak attack is worth -1 damage. Once you have extra damage from BB (and constant Elven Accuracy triggers from find familiar) you should be using action to Cast a Spell, so rapier is better.

However, once you get haste, you are using action to attack again, so two weapons becomes worth it again. You’re not using two hands anyway (as a straight rogue). Alternately, just carry both.

Sentinel and Ready do interfere BUT you are only reading when haste grants the extra action. You don’t have many 3rd level slots and don’t get haste until 14th in any case. Sentinel is still a good investment, not only in the levels leading up to 14 but even after that because you only need to invest a 2nd level (rather than a 3rd level) slot to “activate” the second sneak attack.

Expected
2018-09-02, 08:28 PM
Interesting. So I should use a rapier and shield then? If I still wanted to attack from range, could I theoretically drop my rapier and pull out a dagger and throw it? Is this possible during a held action?

Exocist
2018-09-02, 11:00 PM
Interesting. So I should use a rapier and shield then? If I still wanted to attack from range, could I theoretically drop my rapier and pull out a dagger and throw it? Is this possible during a held action?

I would suggest fighter (or hexblade) 1, rapier and shield.

You could drop the rapier to pull a dagger and throw but then you’d be disarmed until you next turn and some DMs might not let you use object interaction to pick up a dropped object