PDA

View Full Version : The Generalist

RelentlessImp
2007-09-14, 06:26 PM
The Generalist is an odd person; they can never seen to settle on pursuing a single profession. However, they seem to always know enough to get themselves out of trouble, and usually wind up back in trouble shortly thereafter. They have picked up, somewhere, the ability to understand arcane spells enough to cast them, though they never can delve into the deeper secrets; they can pick locks and disable the toughest of traps, but aren't particularly agile; and they can hold their own in a fight. The Generalist can be a dangerous opponent on any front, but their failings are myriad.

Hitdie: d6
BAB: Medium
Skills: 6+INT bonus (x4 at first level)
Saves: Fort poor, Ref poor, Will good

The Generalists class skills (and key abilities for each) are: Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills taken seperately) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

The Generalist
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Trapfinding|2|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3||3|0|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3||3|1|-|-|-|-|-

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4||3|2|0|-|-|-|-

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Evasion|3|3|1|-|-|-|-

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5||3|3|2|-|-|-|-

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5||3|3|2|0|-|-|-

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+6||3|3|3|1|-|-|-

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+6||3|3|3|2|-|-|-

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+7||3|3|3|2|0|-|-

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+3|
+7||3|3|3|3|1|-|-

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8||3|3|3|3|2|-|-

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8||3|3|3|3|2|0|-

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+4|
+9||4|3|3|3|3|1|-

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+9||4|4|3|3|3|2|-

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10||4|4|4|3|3|2|0

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10||4|4|4|4|3|3|1

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11||4|4|4|4|4|3|2

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11||4|4|4|4|4|4|3

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12||4|4|4|4|4|4|4[/table]

Spellcasting: The Generalist casts spells drawn from the Sorcerer/Wizard list, and begins play knowing all 0-level spells. At each level up, they may choose one spell to learn, up to the highest spell level they know. Like a Wizard, the Generalist must keep a spellbook and prepare their spells ahead of time. Intelligence determines the power of a Generalist's spells, and the Generalist suffers spell failure caused by armor.

In addition, Generalists may learn spells from other Wizards' or Generalists' spellbooks or from scrolls, in the same manner and for the same costs as a Wizard.

Also, Generalists may research their own spells in the same manner as a Wizard.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The Generalist begins with proficiency in all simple and martial weapons, but no armor or shield proficiencies.

Evasion: As the Rogue skill.

Trapfinding: As the Rogue skill.

Creator's Note: This is primarily because I miss the F/M/T multiclass from 2E; I think I've balanced it out, somewhat, but critiques are welcome.

The Neoclassic
2007-09-14, 08:30 PM
I think they are slightly overpowered (comparing to a bard); I'd down the spells to 5th level, and possibly skill points to 4. My rationale is that evasion is pretty darn useful and sorcerer/wizard spells are overall more powerful than bard spells. (deal much more damage). Alternatively, you could give them cleric spells which are slightly less powerful (not as much direct damage, which is somewhat but not totally balanced out by their access to healing). Otherwise, looks pretty good; fun idea.

Edea
2007-09-14, 08:50 PM
What casting stat does the Generalist use? I'm guessing Intelligence, since you're comparing its spellbook use to that of a Wizard. Can they learn spells from the spellbooks/scrolls of other wizards/generalists? Can they research their own spells? Weapon/armor proficiencies?

Basically it looks like it swaps a rogue's sneak attack for 6th level Sor/Wiz spells, and transposes the Reflex and Will saves (skill list is so similar it competes well with a rogue, and the rest of the class is close to identical).

Do you have the Dungeonscape supplement? There's a class there you might be interested in looking at.

Tengu
2007-09-14, 09:06 PM
"I am... the red mage!"

Well, what are the proficiencies of this class? Does it suffer ASF from armor? Maybe from armor heavier than light?

Being overpowered when compared to the bard is not much of a big deal, since bards are rather low-tier.

RelentlessImp
2007-09-14, 09:28 PM
Questions answered, have edited original posts.

As I said in the sidenote above, I miss the ability to be a Fighter/Mage/Thief that can (somewhat) compete with full classes. The Duskblade is gishy enough to fill the Fighter/Mage roles, but very few base classes can function as a Fighter/Thief, or even three classes as one; which, understandably, would be very hard to balance in 3.5.

Also, I may pick up the Dungeonscapes supplement, what class is it, exactly? Will have to go look.

Edea
2007-09-14, 09:34 PM
Factotum; pretty much wants to do everything at once yet never really excels at any of them. However, it runs on a point mechanic, and there's a feat on the Wizards site which definitely kicks the class up a notch.