PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Path of War, Boosts with Unchained Action Economy

dascarletm
2018-09-02, 11:21 PM
I'm working on world-building a new game, and the players and I decided on making a world where the PC classes were the PoW ones exclusively. Personally I like the unchained action economy, and I wanted to include it in this game. However, I'm running into a problem with deciding on how many acts this all costs. I'm also adding PF2s reaction system in.
Full-Round Maneuvers - 3 actions
Standard Action Strikes - 2 actions
Counters - reaction
Switching stances - Free (1/round)
Boosts - I don't know.

I'm half tempted to make boosts cost 1 action, but the problem is that any boost that gives you a move action is worthless. If I were to just make them free, but 1/round it would almost defeat the purpose of using the unchained action economy altogether.

I'd like to know the playgrounds thoughts and suggestions.

Jurai
2018-09-02, 11:29 PM
Make boosts like that work like switching stances, possibly even costing your stance change for the turn.

Thealtruistorc
2018-09-03, 02:16 AM
Given that swift actions and immediate actions consume the same action, I would make boosts and stance changes reactions. That way, you can employ them with full action attacks while still putting a cost on them.

Ignimortis
2018-09-03, 09:57 AM
Same action as stance switching. Personally I'm a fan of houseruling Swift and Immediate actions as independent of each other, and I haven't found this to unbalance PoW classes too much. Since all of your players will be running initiators, this might just be a better fit. You either change a stance or employ a boost.

VladtheLad
2018-09-07, 03:31 AM
I'm working on world-building a new game, and the players and I decided on making a world where the PC classes were the PoW ones exclusively. Personally I like the unchained action economy, and I wanted to include it in this game. However, I'm running into a problem with deciding on how many acts this all costs. I'm also adding PF2s reaction system in.
Full-Round Maneuvers - 3 actions
Standard Action Strikes - 2 actions
Counters - reaction
Switching stances - Free (1/round)
Boosts - I don't know.

I'm half tempted to make boosts cost 1 action, but the problem is that any boost that gives you a move action is worthless. If I were to just make them free, but 1/round it would almost defeat the purpose of using the unchained action economy altogether.

I'd like to know the playgrounds thoughts and suggestions.

This has more to do with the fact that unchained economy kinda nerfs swift actions.

I would suggest granting 3 actions+ a swift action per round.
Nice conversion otherwise.

upho
2018-09-08, 05:20 AM
Given that swift actions and immediate actions consume the same action, I would make boosts and stance changes reactions. That way, you can employ them with full action attacks while still putting a cost on them.I also think this seems to be the most logical and sound solution.

@ dascarletm: I think you also have to solve the potentially much more difficult problem of abilities increasing AoOs/round. Combat Reflexes and the various class features, magic items, maneuvers and stances granting similar benefits - or relying on those benefits - are a pretty major thing for many PoW build types and classes. If you use the Unchained rules for Combat Reflexes instead of the much weaker PF2 equivalent, your action economy changes will have very little impact on combatants who primarily fight via AoOs, increasing the relative superiority of their combat style even further. And should you instead use PF2 style rules, for example changing Combat Reflexes and similar so they only allow for replacing the standard 3 "acts" per turn with additional AoOs, those abilities will instead become practically useless in a vast majority of cases.

Off the top of my head, a possible part of the solution to this problem would be to simply use the Unchained rules but decrease the number of "free" AoOs these abilities may grant to say half initiator modifier (minimum 1). Not sure if this would be balanced though, and I have no idea what to do with things like fortuitous weapons. How did you plan to get around this issue?