PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Archer

goken04
2007-09-14, 07:11 PM
I'm considering making a cleric archer for an upcoming campaign. Besides Zen Archery, PBS, and Precise Shot, any feat suggestions? Domains? Multiclass/PrCs? Any particularly helpful spells? I'm not sure what all my DM will allow, so any suggestions are welcomed, though races should probably be limited to core!

de-trick
2007-09-14, 07:15 PM
im guessing elf for the dex

Flawless
2007-09-14, 07:15 PM
If you can get it: elven domain. Gets you PBS. If you're not an elf, but your deity has comp. longbow as his/her favoured weapon, war domain gets you proficiency and weapon focus.

Just Alex
2007-09-14, 07:17 PM
I can't remember, does Silver Flame have the War domain? Their favored weapon is long bow if it is. That helps if you don't want to take level dips.

Flawless
2007-09-14, 07:19 PM

If he wants to use zen archery, dex won't help. Elf do get free proficiency with bows, though. Aasimar on the other hand gives +2 wis and cha as well as all martial proficiencies and some other minor bonuses. It's LA +1, so not really an option, if you want maximum casting ability.

goken04
2007-09-14, 07:21 PM
If he wants to use zen archery, dex won't help.

Not sure if I want to use ZA yet, because I haven't rolled my stats yet. We'll see.

goat
2007-09-14, 07:26 PM
Sometimes it can be better using it anyway. Your stat boosting items will buff your casting AND your archery rather than needing different things for each, and your high dex roll can go into another stat you'd like high.

Reel On, Love
2007-09-14, 07:40 PM
The Holy Warrior reserve feat from the Complete Champion is like delicious cake for cleric-archers. Keep your highest-level domain slot full of a War domain spell (which you take for the proficiency anyway), get the level of the slot in damage.

Machete
2007-09-14, 07:42 PM
Like Charisma for Turning and Feats that burn turning for special effects.

Goat makes a good point.

Flawless
2007-09-14, 07:42 PM
And you can just wear full-plate, if your dex is low. It's better anyways. Even str is better, if you're using a composite bow. Human seems to be your best choice. An extra feat for proficiency and some nice and tasty skill points. And, you're no frickin' elf.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-09-14, 09:52 PM
well the best god for archer is either the elven god of hatred of drow, also theres a guy with exactly the same domains but less of a strict clergy.

Elf for the free feat and Dex bonus.

War for pro. and Weapon Focus free.
not to minchen the awesome spells that are granted by the domain.

also if your DM allows it pump up your Dex like no other, and then get the feat Spell Casting Prodiegy, from FR, if you play the none nerfed version then you can bump up bonus spells at +2 Wis Mod, and so does your DC for spells, which really helps if you dont have that high of a wis score.

hoped this helped.

kpenguin
2007-09-14, 10:36 PM
If he wants to use zen archery, dex won't help.

It will. Good Dex allows you to nab the archery feats.

Draz74
2007-09-14, 11:58 PM
I prefer to go Elf and bump up both my Dexterity and my Wisdom. More MAD, yes, but better Dex-based skills, Reflex saves, etc., plus free bow proficiency regardless of religion.

There was an Elf Cleric-archer build that was popular a while back. Elf was one of its Domains, but I forget what the other was. Something else that granted a common archery-related feat. In that build, it was considered a toss-up whether it was worth a feat to get Zen Archery. It largely did depend on how good you rolled your stats. (If your Wisdom is only a couple points better than your Dex, you're better off using your feat elsewhere, even though the feat would boost your attack bonus by +2 or so.)

EDIT: Plus, as the astute observer before me notes, you need high Dex for Manyshot and similar things. Heh. Oh, and there are advantages to having high enough Dex that you can get decent AC without wearing heavy armor.

Oh, and one decent feat to get instead of Zen Archery could be Improved Buckler Defense, so you can wear and use a shield without sacrificing any archery power at all.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-09-15, 04:05 AM

With Zen Archery, your Dex is replaced by Wis for the sake of archery.

HOWEVER, if you do want to rely on agility, Divine Agility (Spell Compendium) could provide a useful boost. Pity it's enhancement, and one round / level, but then again that doesn't even matter to you if you're going the cheesy route and just using Divine Metamagic Persistent.

I can't remember, does Silver Flame have the War domain?

Certain sects do. He didn't say he was playing Eberron, though. Or that he worshipped the Silver Flame.