PDA

View Full Version : Food Based Magic

Warchon
2018-09-03, 08:48 AM
So I'm going into a campaign where the DM allows--in fact, WANTS--casters to create their own spells. Based on that, I'm looking at a wizard who was pushed into study despite wanting to just cook good food for people.
My concept is that his very early spells will be almost entirely focused on food, but will later be adapted for combat. This gives rise to the possibility of entire spell lines, though of course I only anticipate getting to design two spells per level after level 1 (The number of spells a wizard gets without having to steal somebody else's work).
I'm looking for critique of a few spells and am NOT experienced at all with balancing spells.

Safe Handling (0th) - Abjuration, Self
Protects ones hands from minor cuts and burns for 1 minute per caster level. This spell provides the caster's choice of DR 1/magic, or Resistance 1 to fire, cold, or acid damage, but only their hands are protected.

Identify Spices (0th) - Divination, Touch
Provides the caster with the name of a sample of plant matter. If the sample contains more than one type of plant, a random one will be identified. The caster is aware of this partial failure.

Harvest Berries (0th) - Transmutation, Close
Harvest up to 2d4 berries from an appropriate bush. The berries are always removed gently and expertly without bruising, and the choicest berries are removed first. If the caster holds a container, the berries will be placed there. They are otherwise deposited at his feet.

Harvest Berries (1st) - Transmutation, Close
Applies an uncomfortable amount of pressure to the eyes of a nearby target, causing discomfort and effectively blinding the creature for 1d4+1 rounds. Fortitude Negates.

Harvest Berries (2nd) - Transmutation, Close
Attempt to Harvest the eyes of a nearby creature. On a failed saving throw, the target loses 1d2 eyes. Whether or not they make the save, the target suffers 1d6+1/caster level damage (max +10) and is nauseated for one round. This spell otherwise functions as its 0th level counterpart. (This is functionally reflavored blindness/deafness. I added the damage and nausea to partially make up for the 50% chance to retain vision after a failed throw and the loss of versatility for not being able to deafen.)

Fortify Meal (1st) - Transmutation, Close
At the time of casting, choose one: Health (CON), Energy (STR) or Alertness (DEX). This spell fortifies one meal (plus one more meal per two caster levels) with the chosen attribute. Anyone who consumes this meal gains a +1 Satiety bonus to the chosen attribute AS LONG AS they have eaten a similarly fortified meal every day for at least two weeks. The bonus need not be the same from one day to the next, so long as this spell affected the previous meals.
Only one Satiety bonus may be active at a time on any character.
Characters who do not require food for any reason, such as through class features, racial features, or a Ring of Satiety, cannot benefit from this spell.

Tastes Like Chicken (2nd) Conjuration, Medium, Immediate Action
This spell may be cast in reaction to any form of speech, including the casting of spell with a verbal component. The target's mouth instantly fills with a delicious taste, forcing a Concentration check at a penalty of -5 to not stumble over their words. Use the caster's spell save DC as the DC for the Concentration check.
Any target who succeeds on a Check caused by this spell is immune to its effects for 24 hours afterwards--they don't have to make another save. There is no escaping the flavour.
(Using the concentration check instead of a save seems fair. The penalty should keep it on par with saves at low levels, but since skills scale so much faster you're not likely to get to use a 2nd level spell slot to waste somebody's 9th level. )

Maelynn
2018-09-03, 11:21 AM
As soon as you're able to cast 5th-level spells, your DM should allow you to find and use a Manual of Doughlem.

Also, at the risk of misunderstanding your concept (not sure how far the DM wants you to go with creating spells, does he really mean 'from scratch'?), my first thought would be adaptations of existing spells:

Ray of Frosting - just like Ray of Frost, but remove the frost type.

Cloud of Skewers - just like Cloud of Daggers, but with skewers. Possibly change slashing damage into piercing damage.

Sugar Spray - just like Color Spray, but with colourful sugar instead. The blinding effect can still stand because the sugar crystals act like sand in your eyes.

Ray of Food Poisoning - just like Ray of Sickness, except the target specifically feels very nauseated and on a failed save, in addition to becoming poisoned they will vomit and lose their turn.

OracleofWuffing
2018-09-03, 12:03 PM
There's this browser game called Kingdom of Loathing, and its two "Magic" classes are Pastamancer (http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Pastamancer) and Sauceror (http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Sauceror). I don't want to push the game on you, but if you'll check the links there, you'll at least see two whole lists of skills/spells for cooking-themed classes. Stuff like tying up your enemies with noodles, a cannelloni-themed cannon, turning enemies' souls into sauce, and enveloping yourself in hot sauce to damage oncoming attacks. You don't need to understand how to play that game, but I think that'll help inspire a few options for you.

aimlessPolymath
2018-09-03, 12:05 PM
For Fortify Meal:
Generally, all stat bonuses should be multiples of 2. This provides consistency between characters of the same stat bonus in terms of gaining an effect. Compare this with Create Magic Tattoo, a similar 2nd level spell.

Harvest Berries provides no-save nausea, which is a very strong condition.

rferries
2018-09-03, 02:16 PM
There's this browser game called Kingdom of Loathing, and its two "Magic" classes are Pastamancer (http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Pastamancer) and Sauceror (http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Sauceror). I don't want to push the game on you, but if you'll check the links there, you'll at least see two whole lists of skills/spells for cooking-themed classes. Stuff like tying up your enemies with noodles, a cannelloni-themed cannon, turning enemies' souls into sauce, and enveloping yourself in hot sauce to damage oncoming attacks. You don't need to understand how to play that game, but I think that'll help inspire a few options for you.

This was my first thought too! :)

Grognerd
2018-09-03, 02:58 PM
The movie The Tale of Desperaeux has some food magic. There is a semi-autonomous food golem/food familiar, and the entire movie revolves around what is essentially a food-based realm spell that connects the enjoyment of soup with the health of the land.

Warchon
2018-09-03, 05:15 PM
To answer a few questions!

Took me a bit to understand the Manual of Doughlem! I had to say it out loud.

Yes, completely from scratch. I think I'll enjoy the challenge of trying to come up with any effects at all that aren't already in game.

I want to to more than just food puns and refluffing. Obviously I'll use existing spells as a guide for how strong stuff should be though...and I do like the idea of the food poisoning ray.

I've played KoL in the past and I endorse your endorsements of it...I quit ten years ago or so when the massive overhaul happened...didn't feel like learning the whole game over from scratch but I know it's still fantastic.
I may well crib notes from Pastamancer and Sauceror, but I still want to be more on -this- side of the line that they're on -that- side of. (Combat magic that's adapted from kitchen magic, as opposed to combat magic that is food themed.)

Regarding Fortify Meal, I wanted to get it on the 1st level list, so he can cook for the party on day one, but worried that a full +2 to an ability is too strong, even with the two-week caveat. Should I consider making it a Save bonus instead?
The scaling bonus a la Magic Tattoo might be a good idea to keep it relevant at higher levels, and a Cooking DC is a nice idea thematically.

For Harvest Berries, would this seem balanced as a 2nd level spell if I changed the Nauseated out for one round Sickened? Maybe halve the damage on successful save as well?

Thanks for all the feedback, I've locked this character concept in and I will be playing the foodmage!

jqavins
2018-09-04, 04:11 PM
I would eliminate the two week requirement on Fortify Meal; if the spell is too powerful on day one without that then it's too powerful on day 15 also, and adding a waiting period with cumbersome bookkeeping is no way to fix that. Always remember Grod's Law (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?10688-Grod_The_Giant): "You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use."

Harvest Berries shouldn't be the same name for three different spells. I suggest something like Harvest Berries, Harvest Eye Berries, and Greater Harvest Eye Berries.

For Identify Spices, I would add that, with mixtures, additional castings on the same sample will always give a new components, until all have been identified if the caster really wants to use that many slots.

There could be other spells that actually help with the cooking, like conjuring spices. A knife shapenning spell. A duplicate of the existing Purify Food and Drink would be so perfectly in character that your DM ought to allow it despite it not being made from scratch. (No pun intended.) An instant read thermometer would be a good magic item.

How about an attack spell based on spaghetti whips? ("This'll teach you to laugh at 'flogging with a wet noodle'!") Or hard tack as projectiles.

Some spells could be made from cooking failures, too. I know from personal experience that the smell of rice burned in the microwave will drive an entire family out of their home!

I've locked this character concept in and I will be playing the foodmage!Really? You're going with "foodmage"? How about "Gastromancer"? or "Feast Master"?

Warchon
2018-09-04, 04:42 PM
Hey there. I mentioned in the original post that I'm new to this, so I hadn't heard of Grod's law, but it sounds like a good idea to keep in mind!
All of the names for things at this point are more placeholder than not, but I'm not making a new class, just new spells...so any nickname like Gastromancer or Spellcook is gonna show up through roleplay or not at all--as a level one character who didn't want power to begin with, starting play with an impressive sounding self-applied title just doesn't fit. Though I'm a fan of sneaky puns that fly under the radar, so when I name the character himself, something cheeky is likely to happen.
A spell to sharpen blades is a -fantastic- idea here. There is no way I'm NOT incorporating that--thank you!
Purify Food and Drink is a good idea. I already intend to ask for Heat Metal as an arcane spell, and Grease is getting into the spellbook one way or the other.

jqavins
2018-09-05, 07:30 AM
Sorry if any of that seemed argumentative.
Hey there. I mentioned in the original post that I'm new to this, so I hadn't heard of Grod's law, but it sounds like a good idea to keep in mind!Grod is a frequent poster around here, and the law is in his sig.

All of the names for things at this point are more placeholder than not, but I'm not making a new class, just new spells...so any nickname like Gastromancer or Spellcook is gonna show up through roleplay or not at all--as a level one character who didn't want power to begin with, starting play with an impressive sounding self-applied title just doesn't fit.Excellent point. And really, at that point I was kidding around. (I was reminded of a moment from Journey Quest (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB600313D4723E21F) where the incompetent wizard throws a spell at an orc which just squirts milk in his face; a moment the orc leader refers to him totally straight faced as "the lactomancer".)

But I was serious about the Harvest Berries stuff; you will ultimately need three different names.

Though I'm a fan of sneaky puns that fly under the radar, so when I name the character himself, something cheeky is likely to happen.Or something cheesy? (Get it? Get it? See what I did there?)

A spell to sharpen blades is a -fantastic- idea here. There is no way I'm NOT incorporating that--thank you!You're very welcome. An old idea to me. A character of mine in a long ago campaign (recently restarted; YEAH!) commissioned a scabbard that cleans, polishes, and sharpens his sword to a perfect edge every time it's drawn.

Quertus
2018-09-06, 09:10 PM
As something of a grognard, I must suggest a revival of the Cola Simulacrum. Simply place a silver piece into the... mouth?... of this giant boxy red golem, and it will magically produce a refreshing, chilled beverage. Not sure what spells you would need in order to create the thing, but, if you can figure that out, recreate this ancient relic of a bygone era. :smallwink:

Darth Ultron
2018-09-06, 09:49 PM
Safe Handling (0th) - Abjuration, Self
Protects ones hands from minor cuts and burns for 1 minute per caster level. This spell provides the caster's choice of DR 1/magic, or Resistance 1 to fire, cold, or acid damage, but only their hands are protected.

A minute is way to short a duration. To cook a meal, even more so in Ye Old Tymes, can take a l-o-n-g time. Making the duration an hour would be better. And DR1 and resistance 1 are just fine. And, you want to make it full body protection (if you have ever cooked..you know you can hurt more then your hands).

Identify Spices (0th) - Divination, Touch
Provides the caster with the name of a sample of plant matter. If the sample contains more than one type of plant, a random one will be identified. The caster is aware of this partial failure.

Identify Ingredients would be better, and let it last a minute and identify a whole table worth of stuff.

Harvest Berries (0th) - Transmutation, Close
Harvest up to 2d4 berries from an appropriate bush. The berries are always removed gently and expertly without bruising, and the choicest berries are removed first. If the caster holds a container, the berries will be placed there. They are otherwise deposited at his feet.

Harvest Berries (1st) - Transmutation, Close
Applies an uncomfortable amount of pressure to the eyes of a nearby target, causing discomfort and effectively blinding the creature for 1d4+1 rounds. Fortitude Negates.

Harvest Berries (2nd) - Transmutation, Close
Attempt to Harvest the eyes of a nearby creature. On a failed saving throw, the target loses 1d2 eyes. Whether or not they make the save, the target suffers 1d6+1/caster level damage (max +10) and is nauseated for one round. This spell otherwise functions as its 0th level counterpart. (This is functionally reflavored blindness/deafness. I added the damage and nausea to partially make up for the 50% chance to retain vision after a failed throw and the loss of versatility for not being able to deafen.)

Well....um...harvest plant would be much better for the first spell....no reason to limit it to berries. Just make it one pound of plant material.

Blinding harvest berries? Um, not really a ''cooking spell", but if you really want this...how about just go for ''Pepper Spray".

Harvest eyes? I guess if you want a re-flavored blindness?

Fortify Meal (1st) - Transmutation, Close
At the time of casting, choose one: Health (CON), Energy (STR) or Alertness (DEX). This spell fortifies one meal (plus one more meal per two caster levels) with the chosen attribute. Anyone who consumes this meal gains a +1 Satiety bonus to the chosen attribute AS LONG AS they have eaten a similarly fortified meal every day for at least two weeks. The bonus need not be the same from one day to the next, so long as this spell affected the previous meals.
Only one Satiety bonus may be active at a time on any character.
Characters who do not require food for any reason, such as through class features, racial features, or a Ring of Satiety, cannot benefit from this spell.

A +1 to an ability with a huge restriction? Um, you could just cast the list of ability spells?

Tastes Like Chicken (2nd) Conjuration, Medium, Immediate Action
This spell may be cast in reaction to any form of speech, including the casting of spell with a verbal component. The target's mouth instantly fills with a delicious taste, forcing a Concentration check at a penalty of -5 to not stumble over their words. Use the caster's spell save DC as the DC for the Concentration check.
Any target who succeeds on a Check caused by this spell is immune to its effects for 24 hours afterwards--they don't have to make another save. There is no escaping the flavour.
(Using the concentration check instead of a save seems fair. The penalty should keep it on par with saves at low levels, but since skills scale so much faster you're not likely to get to use a 2nd level spell slot to waste somebody's 9th level. )

Flavor to stop spellcasting? This spell should have a normal DC based off the caster...not the target.

jqavins
2018-09-07, 07:25 AM
It's possible you're missing part of the point. These are a combination of cooking spells and adventuring spells (combat or otherwise) that are adaptations of cooking spells.
A minute is way to short a duration. To cook a meal, even more so in Ye Old Tymes, can take a l-o-n-g time. Making the duration an hour would be better. And DR1 and resistance 1 are just fine. And, you want to make it full body protection (if you have ever cooked..you know you can hurt more then your hands).I agree that full body coverage for an hour with both DR and resistance would be better, but would be overpowered for a cantrip?

Identify Ingredients would be better, and let it last a minute and identify a whole table worth of stuff.Again, cantrip.

Well....um...harvest plant would be much better for the first spell....no reason to limit it to berries. Just make it one pound of plant material.Agreed.

Blinding harvest berries? Um, not really a ''cooking spell"... Harvest eyes? I guess if you want a re-flavored blindness?They're adapted cooing spell. Eyes resemble berries, so they're ways of expanding on a cooking cantrip to make a couple of combat spells.

A +1 to an ability with a huge restriction? Um, you could just cast the list of ability spells?The regular buff spells are higher level. And again there's the "adapted from cooking" theme. But I do agree that this one needs a lot of work.

Flavor to stop spellcasting? This spell should have a normal DC based off the caster...not the target.Basically, but in theme.

To Warchon:

A couple more ideas.

Let the knife sharpening be a cantrip. Make a 1st level version which both sharpens and throws any knife- or skewer-like item to constitute a range attack, a la Magic Missile.
Heat Metal is good for the pots and pans. Heating liquids and solid food directly would also be good cooking spells, e.g. Boil Water or Cook Meat and Vegetables. Those, in turn, could be adapted into combat spells Boil Blood and Cook Flesh.
Pluck Bird would be a good cooking spell. I don't see any combat adaptation off the top of my head.

Quertus
2018-09-07, 07:46 AM
So, my thoughts for spells... Hmmm...

Wall of Bread (2nd) - conjuration. This close range spell blocks a single 5' square with a thin wall of bread that is destroyed with any attack (Hardness 0, 1 HP). The bread, which can be of any normal type, from slats of French bread to a giant slice of white / wheat / pumpernickel / cinnamon / sour dough / whatever, is permanent.

Transfer Kitchen Accident (2nd) - ????? (Chronomancer). This spell is a boon, both in the kitchen, and in combat. Should an accident befall the kitchen, the Wizard simply casts this Chronomancer spell to undo the effects. These effects can be released at a later date, safely outside the kitchen. In combat, kitchen fires might be released as a Flaming Sphere; noxious creations are released as a Stinking Cloud, a cloud of smoke from a burnt roast could have an effect similar to Fog Cloud, and injuries could be released with effects similar to Burning Hands, Magic Missile, Launch Bolt, or other similar effect. The Transfer Kitchen Accident Spell is ineffective against any accident more devastating than a second level spell. Note: casting this spell causes the Wizard to take a point of damage, which cannot healed while the accident is being held. Further, while the Wizard is "holding the accident", the spell slot is in use, and no new spell can be memorized in its place. The accident may be held indefinitely.

Waiter's Balance (1st) - Transmutation? This spell allows the character touched to balance 4 items, plus 1 item per 5 caster levels, on their outstretched arms. The character may engage in normal activities with no risk of spilling. Events that would cause a caster to make a Concentration check require the recipient's choice of Balance or Concentration, at the same DC, to maintain the items' precarious balance; failure results in the items falling off. A maximum of one item may be retrieved or stowed per round as a free action. The effects last 1 hour per level. EDIT: really, I think that this should be a 0th level spell, and that retrieving or stowing should be a move equivalent action that can be taken part of a normal move... except that then the spell does nothing but allow a free draw before BAB +1.

Know Dietary Requirements (1st) - Divination. Harmless, Will negates. This spell does it all. If the saving throw is failed, it allows the caster to understand what the creature's diet consists of / what it would find edible vs inedible, what it would find poisonous, what (if anything) it is allergic to, and even any current deficiencies in its diet. This allows the caster to safely prepare the optimal healthy (if not necessarily tasty) meal for the subject.

Warchon
2018-09-07, 08:05 AM
jqavins and Quertus, you two are on point!

I might well have to take that Collegiate Mage feat suggested in the other thread -just- to keep up with the number of ideas I now want to work with.

Quertus
2018-09-07, 08:23 AM
Seconds on spells:

Descale (2nd?) - Transmutation, Necromancy? This spell allows the caster to remove the scales from fish, lizards, or other scaly animals. In the kitchen, it lasts for one hour per level, allowing the caster to remove the scales from one dead animal of Tiny size or smaller each round as a full-round action. For larger animals, double the time required for each size increase (normal doubling, not WotC doubling). In combat (or against particularly difficult cousine), the spell may be expended to strip off harder scales, reducing the natural armor bonus of any scaly creature (or corpse) by 5, plus 1 per caster level (minimum 0) on a failed reflex save. (EDIT: note that this AC reducing application of the spell will work on any scales, not just those of Animals) These scales have been physically removed, and must grow back normally. The focus for this spell is a paring knife, which must be strongly presented when activating the effects of the spell.

Deep Fry (0th) - Evocation, Conjuration, Transmutation. This spell makes a single serving of food quite tasty, if less healthy. It will, as appropriate, batter, coat in oil, and flash heat the target. In combat, a single target in close range takes 1d3 fire damage, and may, at the caster's option, be covered in a thin greasy and/or crunchy layer of food product. The material components are a tinder twig or open flame, and optional components include a drop of grease and a bread crumb.

Flash Fry (2nd) - much like Deep Fry (above), except that it is designed to instantly fry up an entire creature. Living creatures subjected to this spell take 1d6 fire damage per caster level (maximum of 10d6?), Reflex for half. If an optional component of a fruit is added, the fruit will appear in the target's mouth if the target is dead at the conclusion of the spell. Note: the fruit is not consumed if the target is not dead at the end of the spell. EDIT: the fruit will appear in the mouth of an undead even if it is not reduced to 0 HP, and will do so even if they made their saving throw and have evasion (although it is blocked by SR). For creatures with multiple mouths, multiple fruit may be used; if not, the fruit will appear in the chosen mouth, or a mouth chosen at random if no mouth is chosen. The results of attemping to use a fruit on a creature with no mouth are undefined.

Quertus
2018-09-07, 08:58 AM
A third helping of spells:

Ice Chest (3rd) - Evocation, Transmutation, Necromancy. This spell causes the contents of an enclosed box to remain fresh. The contents of a box containing 25 cubic feat of space will remain fresh for 1 day per caster level. Larger spaces can be enchanted; the duration drops proportionally to the size of the box. The material component is a chip of ice.

Canning (1st) - Evocation, Transmutation, Necromancy. This spell preserves (and cooks?) dead plant (and animal?) matter that has been placed in up to one glass jar per caster level. The effects are instantaneous; the contents remain preserved (indefinitely? for a year and a day?).

Not on the Menu (2nd) - Enchantment, Transmutation. So long as the target touched takes no offensive actions, creatures must make a Will save to attack them. This spell changes the odor and taste of the recipient into something generally unpalatable. Creatures with bite or absorption attacks must make a second save to use those attack forms on the target. The spell lasts for 10 minutes per caster level, or until the recipient takes an offensive action.

Cleanup (1st) - ?????. After the cooking is done, there's still the mess to clean up. This close-range 5' radius burst cleans up all small food-related messes. Dishes in the area are cleaned, stains are removed from clothing, etc, etc. Two particularly interesting uses for this spell: one, it removed blood stains (and blood); two, it completely counters the Grease spell.

Advanced Cleanup (2nd) - as cleanup, except that it affects a 20' radius burst, and will remove large messes, like corpses. Mindless undead get a fortitude saving throw to resist being disintegrated by this spell (EDIT: intelligent undead are unaffected this spell). Be careful not to use it near any food, as that, too, will be removed!

jqavins
2018-09-07, 09:59 AM
Some suggested edits:

Know Dietary Requirements (1st) - Divination. Harmless, Will negates. This spell does it all. If the saving throw is failed, it allows the caster to understand what the creature's diet consists of / what it would find edible vs inedible, what it would find poisonous, what (if anything) it is allergic to, and even any current deficiencies in its diet. This allows the caster to safely prepare the optimal healthy (if not necessarily tasty) meal for the subject.Starting at CL 3, the caster learns of any religious or personal dietary restrictions (e.g. Kashrut). Starting at CL 5 the caster learns of the subject's personal likes and dislikes (e.g. the subject hates mushrooms).

NOTE: This is a good spell to be employed in a ring or amulet.

Descale (2nd?) -
The focus for this spell is a paring knife...or scaling tool.

Advanced Cleanup (2nd) -
Be careful not to use it near any food, as that, too, will be removed!Applies only to open or loose food. Food in sealed containers, from saddle bags and pouches to Bags of Holding, from wrapped in paper to canned on in an Ice Chest will be left neatly sealed and orderly.

Incidentally, both cleanup spells can be just as useful before starting to cook as after. And speaking of preparing a space rather than after-cleaning, perhaps it should include a sanitizing feature.

Quertus
2018-09-07, 11:14 AM
Some suggested edits:

Totally spot on! :smallbiggrin:

Well, the sanitization may be a bit much, as it likely had no mechanical effect, and is incomprehensible to the characters. But, still, yes, it's best to specify it, just in case someone charges them with a gangrene knife or something.

jqavins
2018-09-07, 12:23 PM
Totally spot on! :smallbiggrin:

Well, the sanitization may be a bit much, as it likely had no mechanical effect, and is incomprehensible to the characters. But, still, yes, it's best to specify it, just in case someone charges them with a gangrene knife or something.Yes, I was thinking of cleaning and sanitizing wounds.

How about a spell to seal up cavities that hold stuffing and do it without stitches? I sometimes take thick cut pork chops, for instance, and slit them open to stuff, then lace the slit up; it'd be really cool to magically put the cut edge back together instead. And chicken cordon bleu is supposed to be rolled so well that the ham and cheese inside are completely contained and squirt just a little when pierced; that's really hard, but such a spell would make it easy. It would be awesome to do the same with a whole (cleaned) fish, or a turduckin! And, that spell can be adapted into a healing spell.

Warchon
2018-09-07, 05:24 PM
Yes, I was thinking of cleaning and sanitizing wounds.

How about a spell to seal up cavities that hold stuffing and do it without stitches? I sometimes take thick cut pork chops, for instance, and slit them open to stuff, then lace the slit up; it'd be really cool to magically put the cut edge back together instead. And chicken cordon bleu is supposed to be rolled so well that the ham and cheese inside are completely contained and squirt just a little when pierced; that's really hard, but such a spell would make it easy. It would be awesome to do the same with a whole (cleaned) fish, or a turduckin! And, that spell can be adapted into a healing spell.

DM might balk at the idea of giving a wizard healing spells without using up a feat, and I wouldn't blame him. But given the flavor of the spell--how about the wound is covered over, which stops bleeding effects, but rather than healing, it provides temporary hit points equivalent to a healing spell of the same level, capped by the amount of damage you've taken? So if you're down by 9 hitpoints but already have 2 temporary hp (from whatever source) I can grant you up to 7 more temp hp with the spell?
That should see you through the combat (minutes/level seems reasonable) but you still need to find a proper cleric.

jqavins
2018-09-07, 09:06 PM
DM might balk at the idea of giving a wizard healing spells without using up a feat, and I wouldn't blame him. But given the flavor of the spell--how about the wound is covered over, which stops bleeding effects, but rather than healing, it provides temporary hit points equivalent to a healing spell of the same level, capped by the amount of damage you've taken? So if you're down by 9 hitpoints but already have 2 temporary hp (from whatever source) I can grant you up to 7 more temp hp with the spell?Are you asking me if it's OK? It's your character, and it's between you and your DM. I just spitball suggestions; do with them as you will.

Warchon
2018-09-07, 09:33 PM
Are you asking me if it's OK? It's your character, and it's between you and your DM. I just spitball suggestions; do with them as you will.

More like I'm asking if it seems both balanced and logical. I did say I'm new to making stuff from scratch. :)

jqavins
2018-09-08, 05:29 PM
More like I'm asking if it seems both balanced and logical. I did say I'm new to making stuff from scratch. :)
In that case... Sure, seems fine.

Bohandas
2018-09-24, 03:47 PM
I had a Happy Meal-based lower level version of Heroes' Feast that I posted on the old WotC forum, when I get back from the long weekend I'm on and have access to the computer with my saved hread archive again I'll try to look it up.

jqavins
2018-09-24, 04:23 PM
If another copy of a standard spell may be considered, Goodberry (2nd level druid) seems appropriate. Or it could be modified into something similar.

Nifft
2018-09-24, 05:24 PM
Eatchanter.

Gastronomer.

Victualianist.

Goaty14
2018-09-24, 06:44 PM
Needs a spell that that emulates a wall of X, except you cook up some nice gumbo, toss it into the earth, the earth eats it, and obeys your will because you're such a good cook. :smallcool:

jqavins
2018-09-25, 07:30 AM
Wall of Noodles.

But I shall refrain from further all-out silliness. (Well, I'll try.)

rferries
2018-09-26, 05:56 PM
Using 3.5 mechanics...

Cannibalise, Greater
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Druid 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: See text
Range: See text
Target: See text
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: See text.

Delicious long pork...

This spell allows you to duplicate the effects of any Conjuration (Healing) spell of 7th level or lower, ignoring all expensive material components and XP costs.

Material Component
A willing or helpless creature of your type, which you slay and partially (or completely) ingest while casting the spell.

Conjure Cake, Greater
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Brd 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One 10-ft-radius cake.
Duration: One hour/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

"Let them eat cake."

You conjure up a tremendous cake, typically plain sponge frosted with white buttercream and glazed strawberries (though you are free to customise it as you see fit). A creature that partakes of the cake heals hit points and ability damage as though it had rested for a night.

The cake feeds a maximum of 10 creatures/level. Any remaining cake vanishes when the spell ends.

Gingerbread House
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M, F; see text
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: 20-ft.-square structure
Duration: 24 hours (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

"Come in, little children."

This spell functions exactly as secure shelter, save that the conjured hut is fashioned from gingerbread. The hut provides shelter and food (in the form of the structure itself) for one creature/level for one day, then vanishes.

jqavins
2018-09-27, 07:09 AM
Conjure Cake, Greater...
The cake vanishes after it is fully consumed.Am I missing something? If it's fully consumed, what vanishes?

Nifft
2018-09-27, 07:32 AM
Am I missing something? If it's fully consumed, what vanishes?

The cake.

You see, the cake was not a truth.

rferries
2018-09-27, 08:25 AM
Am I missing something? If it's fully consumed, what vanishes?

Whoops, my bad. Edited.

The cake.

You see, the cake was not a truth.

The cake is NOT a lie!

lylsyly
2018-09-27, 01:09 PM
Fun read, and a fun idea.

Have a thread (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?557176-Pages-from-the-Royal-Chef-s-Cookbook). Not my work but pretty good stuff.

jqavins
2018-09-28, 07:13 AM
Whoops, my bad. Edited.
It just shows that I'm paying attention. Which is, of course, why you put it in there in the first place. It was a test. Yeah, that's it, it was a test.