PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Thinking of running a Spheres of Power/Might only game. What's the best AP for that?

digiman619
2018-09-03, 03:04 PM
As the title suggests, I am thinking of GMing a Roll20 Spheres game and am wondering what AP would work best with the Spheres treatment.

stack
2018-09-03, 05:41 PM
Anything that relies on particular spell effects will be harder. Haven't gotten past the first book in most (PBP!) So I can't give examples. Wrath of the Righteous would be problematic as written since mythic and spheres would be a bunch of work one way or another. Given my feelings on mythic, I would suggest cutting mythic if you went that way.

Ssalarn
2018-09-03, 07:34 PM
War for the Crown lends itself really well to an all Spheres game, as does Kingmaker. Ironfang Invasion also meshes pretty well overall.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-09-03, 09:28 PM
APs like Curse of the Crimson Throne, Kingmaker, Mask of the Living God, etc that don’t go Mythic don’t really present any difficulty aside from having to convert the enemies afaik.

Personally, I leave monsters with innate casting alone (except for applying SoM templates from the bestiary!) when converting to Spheres, so usually it’s just humanoids and the like that even need it.

VladtheLad
2018-09-05, 04:28 PM
War for the Crown lends itself really well to an all Spheres game, as does Kingmaker. Ironfang Invasion also meshes pretty well overall.

Interesting. Why is that?
Is it because its easier to convert the npc's to spheres system or what?

legomaster00156
2018-09-06, 08:15 AM
Interesting. Why is that?
Is it because its easier to convert the npc's to spheres system or what?
Yes, since many of the NPC's are only given social stat blocks. Furthermore, the need for any specific spell to solve a problem is extremely rare.

Hunter Noventa
2018-09-06, 10:15 AM
Some non-specific advice, but you'll want to make sure to go over any magical loot included to make sure its still worthwhile. No one will object to a +1 Longsword, but a Wand of Fireballs is noticeably less useful, since no one has it on their spell list, as SoM has no spell lists.

QuadraticGish
2018-09-09, 09:09 AM
Some non-specific advice, but you'll want to make sure to go over any magical loot included to make sure its still worthwhile. No one will object to a +1 Longsword, but a Wand of Fireballs is noticeably less useful, since no one has it on their spell list, as SoM has no spell lists.

While some Pathfinder magic items (swords, potions, armor, etc.) are usable by virtually any creature, some items (scrolls, wands, and staves) can only be used by magic-users who meet their prerequisites. Specifically, the core Pathfinder system requires the caster to use magic of their same source (arcane or divine), and to have the spell on their spell list. However, while GMs may add distinctions such as the arcane/divine divide to the SoP system through casting traditions, concepts such as spell lists don’t exist in the SoP system.

Instead, when using the SoP system and determining if a creature may activate a spell completion item such as a scroll, the creature must possess the base sphere associated with that item, and their caster level must be at least equal to the caster level of the item. If their caster level is lower than the caster level of the spell-completion item, they suffer a chance of failure, as detailed in the description of scrolls from the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook.

In order to activate a spell trigger item such as a wand, the caster must possess the base sphere associated with that item. When converting a pre-existing magic item to the SoP system, or when determining which base sphere an SoP caster must possess in order to activate a spell trigger or spell completion magic item from the core Pathfinder magic system, see the conversion chart listed on the Rituals (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/rituals) page. As always, the GM is the final arbiter of what magic falls under which sphere.

In addition, as far as I'm aware UMD still functions normally.

Serafina
2018-09-10, 01:22 AM
If anything in the plot, or any NPCs, relies on a specific spell - well, keep in mind that Spheres of Power has rules for Rituals (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/rituals) and for Spellcrafting (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/spellcrafting), and that if necessary, the Spell Dabbler (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/general-feats#toc53) feat even allows those effects to be used in combat time.
You'll want to cut down on player use, but for that it's enough to communicate that Rituals are in very limited supply, so it's less a path to ultimate versatility and more a way to pick up a few nifty tricks over the course of the campaign (and of course, you can't necessarily learn every ritual)

Hunter Noventa
2018-09-10, 08:15 AM
While some Pathfinder magic items (swords, potions, armor, etc.) are usable by virtually any creature, some items (scrolls, wands, and staves) can only be used by magic-users who meet their prerequisites. Specifically, the core Pathfinder system requires the caster to use magic of their same source (arcane or divine), and to have the spell on their spell list. However, while GMs may add distinctions such as the arcane/divine divide to the SoP system through casting traditions, concepts such as spell lists don’t exist in the SoP system.

Instead, when using the SoP system and determining if a creature may activate a spell completion item such as a scroll, the creature must possess the base sphere associated with that item, and their caster level must be at least equal to the caster level of the item. If their caster level is lower than the caster level of the spell-completion item, they suffer a chance of failure, as detailed in the description of scrolls from the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook.

In order to activate a spell trigger item such as a wand, the caster must possess the base sphere associated with that item. When converting a pre-existing magic item to the SoP system, or when determining which base sphere an SoP caster must possess in order to activate a spell trigger or spell completion magic item from the core Pathfinder magic system, see the conversion chart listed on the Rituals (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/rituals) page. As always, the GM is the final arbiter of what magic falls under which sphere.

In addition, as far as I'm aware UMD still functions normally.

Ah, I think our DM might have missed that blurb. I'll have to inform him of that fact.