PDA

View Full Version : 20K GP for magic items, what should I buy?

Mr Beer
2018-09-03, 06:14 PM
PC: Level 17 Human Wizard Abjurer

Budget: 20,000 gp, of which 5,000 gp must be spent of consumables (so 15K max for a single item)

Pricing methodology: Sane Magic Items (see link below)

Already owns: Robes of the Archmagi, Staff of the Magi

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?424243-Sane-Magic-Item-Prices

I think flight is a must so I picked up Broom of Flying. Ioun Stone of Regeneration looks pretty sweet but there goes my final Attunement slot. What says the Playground?

MaxWilson
2018-09-03, 08:04 PM
Buying 200 Hessian mercenaries would be a good investment, if your DM allows it. Minions are very strong in 5E, particularly if you can support them with things like Inspiring leader.

More seriously... looking over the lists of items, Silver Horn of Valhalla stands out as a good deal, especially for a squishy archmage in need of occcasional emergency bodyguards. And it doesn't take attunement or concentration, IIRC, so yay!

I'm shocked that the Ioun Stone of Regeneration is so cheap but maybe it's because it can be targeted and destroyed in combat. Still I can see the appeal, but you can't can't afford Broom of Flying and Ioun Stone of Regeneration and Horn of Valhalla in your budget, so... maybe just use your last 3000 gp to pick up an Eversmoking Bottle (for no-concentration heavy obscurement) and a Wand of the War Mage instead.

BTW I'd recommend Winged Boots over Boots of Flying, because... hands-free control, and less danger of it being destroyed or stolen. But it depends on your DM's playstyle.