PDA

View Full Version : Bardbarian feedback.

Jackaccount
2018-09-03, 09:23 PM
Hey, I was trying to make a (somewhat) functional bardbarian and this is what I came up with.

Level 6 college of swords bard.
Level 14 ancestral guardian barbarian.

Thoughts?

CTurbo
2018-09-03, 10:47 PM
My first thought is, what is this character going to look like from level 1, and how are you going to level it up?

Looking at what it's going to look like at level 20 is kinda pointless. Yes it will be a very good level 20 character.

What are your planned stat distribution? Race? Is this going to be a Dex build?

Jackaccount
2018-09-03, 11:26 PM
I'd probably level it up as a plain bard in the beginning, only adding on barbarian after level 6.

As for the rest I have no idea, I was mostly just looking for abilities that didn't conflict too much.

McSkrag
2018-09-03, 11:51 PM
I'd probably level it up as a plain bard in the beginning, only adding on barbarian after level 6.

As for the rest I have no idea, I was mostly just looking for abilities that didn't conflict too much.

The primary issue is that Barbarians are all about raging. But they can't concentrate on or cast spells while they are raging. So it's much harder to make a Barbarian multiclass with a caster class.

Maybe a better question for you is what kind of character do you want to play?

CTurbo
2018-09-03, 11:52 PM
Well it sounds like a fun idea, but Bards want high Cha and if you pump Cha early, you're not really going to have very good stats for a Barb, or be a poor Bard early.

I'd start Barbarian and stat for it but stick a 14 in Cha. Probabaly got Half-Elf so you can start 16 Str, 14 Dex, 14 Con, 14 Cha, 10 Wis, 8 Int. Use Medium Armor and pump Str early and Cha late.

Banana3lf
2018-09-03, 11:57 PM
I had a bardbarian once. Sadly he died at lvl 12 because of lack of spell progression. But they are a lot of fun to play.
Any barbarian subclass will be good. Frenzy is possibly the most fun. Lore bard compensates well for utilty outside of combat. Even with exhaustion-not that it is a big deal anyways. Cutting words is just plain the best. Id do 6 lvls like youre saying. Getting magical secrets from lore could help with buff spells that are not concentrstion for raging. But eventually youll want to get lvl 9 and keep it right there for 5th lvl spells. Barbarian? Lvl 9 for brutal crit...I mean why not? And fighter for two if you wanted to action surge to get in as much as possible before raging. Or doing a pretty sweet combo.
But as you level up keep in mind loosing spell progression is going to hurt and loosing the tankness of being a barbarian will too. So if you only go a couple levels in barbarian maybe take tough or resiliant to compensate. Or the other way around maybe just go to where you want in bard first and the go straight barbarian after that.
Either way it can be done.

Jackaccount
2018-09-04, 08:55 PM
The main reason I went with the college of swords over lore is that their bonues aren't spellcasting related. Which in this build should probably be utility.