PDA

View Full Version : Lightfoot or stout halfling for arcane trickster?

Dalebert
2018-09-03, 10:06 PM
That ability is competing with me preferring the stout halfling's con bonus more than a cha bonus and knowing that poison is common and it sucks.

How good is the ability to hide behind a larger creature for a rogue? In my experience with a lightfoot, people don't stay still. is there a way to exploit the ability to make it more useful, like contrive situations where you'll have something? I've thought of my riding dog but I have a feeling it's going to die a lot with 5 hp.

mormon_soldier
2018-09-03, 10:15 PM
If you're using your bonus action to 'hide' every round, it's pretty good. Even if your teammate moves, you're still stealthed.

Banana3lf
2018-09-04, 12:05 AM
Lightfoot all the way. You wont regret it the first time you hide behind the tank and then pop out with sneak attack dmg

Expected
2018-09-04, 04:35 AM
Lightfoot all the way. You wont regret it the first time you hide behind the tank and then pop out with sneak attack dmg

This. The ability to hide anytime, anywhere as long as a larger ally is nearby is incredible.

Quoxis
2018-09-04, 04:44 AM
An arcane trickster dropping a stinking cloud in combat to dive out of and hide back in (heavily obscured), possibly poisoning anyone who dares follow them, would be a niche use for the stout, you‘d need to be lvl 14 to learn the spell though.

Dalebert
2018-09-04, 07:49 AM
I see now. My usual tactic with a rogue is to attack THEN hide, but in a pinch I'll just reverse that order and still get advantage. Okay, you fine folks have convinced me. I guess I'll be a charming little sickly fellow.

Keravath
2018-09-04, 08:59 AM
Application of the hiding rules can be a bit DM dependent so you might want to check and see how they will be applied.

For example, hiding behind the tank engaged in melee might be allowed but in many cases as soon as the tank moves and you are clearly visible, you won't be hidden anymore.

Similarly, if you want to execute a melee attack, hiding puts you at least 10' away behind your tank. Stepping out and closing the 5' range to the target so you can melee attack might lose your hidden status depending on the DM since you are visible as you close the range. Many DMs might allow this for ranged attacks where you essentially just pop out and fire but for melee when you have to close range to attack, the DM might rule that you lose your hidden status by moving when visible and thus advantage on the attack.

PHB P177

"In combat, most creatures stay alert for signs of danger all around, so if you come out of hiding and approach a creature, it usually sees you. However, under certain circumstances, the Dungeon Master might allow you to stay hidden as you approach a creature that is distracted, allowing you to gain advantage on an attack before you are seen."

So ... how hiding is applied is very much a DM call.

Dalebert
2018-09-04, 09:31 AM
I assume that changing positions reveals me. I will be primarily ranged, prolly crossbow expert eventually.

Expected
2018-09-04, 10:23 AM
I assume that changing positions reveals me. I will be primarily ranged, prolly crossbow expert eventually.

In that case, you won't have to worry about it as much as a melee Rogue.

Dalebert
2018-09-04, 09:26 PM
Seems like crossbow expert just makes the most sense for exploiting this ability, not to mention that I will prolly be fairly squishy and don't fancy wading into melee a lot. With xbow expert, I will have the option to just shoot twice in cases when I would have sneak attack versus one attack with advantage in those cases when I wouldn't get it otherwise.

Now for the next question. I will almost certainly dip a level of wizard at some point for a little more magical flexibility and attunement options and I might just maybe possibly potentially perhaps dip two levels. If so, what archetype of wizard would you try to sell me on? The most front-loaded and not scaling-dependent seem to be divination and evocation.

GoodmanDL
2018-09-04, 09:52 PM
Seems like crossbow expert just makes the most sense for exploiting this ability, not to mention that I will prolly be fairly squishy and don't fancy wading into melee a lot. With xbow expert, I will have the option to just shoot twice in cases when I would have sneak attack versus one attack with advantage in those cases when I wouldn't get it otherwise.

Now for the next question. I will almost certainly dip a level of wizard at some point for a little more magical flexibility and attunement options and I might just maybe possibly potentially perhaps dip two levels. If so, what archetype of wizard would you try to sell me on? The most front-loaded and not scaling-dependent seem to be divination and evocation.

If you are a Sharpshooter, it's hide behind fighter to get Stealth & shot with advantage aND no cover penalty. Diviner's portent ability will give you a few times where you know you'll hit.

Expected
2018-09-05, 06:20 AM
It is a feat investment, but Skulker does not reveal your location if you are hiding and miss with a ranged attack.