PDA

View Full Version : Cool and interesting spell wordings

haplot
2018-09-03, 10:38 PM
Just curious as to whether anyone has any anecidotes (spelling?) about wordings when using say the wish spell or using the imprisionment spell or something similar.

How has your DM twisted it or how have they missed out on twisting it?

Have fun folks!

Expected
2018-09-04, 04:38 AM
It would be interesting if when a caster casts a spell, they can chant in Latin or say a phrase relevant to the spell. I liked how when you cast a spell in Final Fantasy Tactics, the character would say a phrase and then the spell name. You can find them if you search for it on a search engine. Do you mean something like that?

Quoxis
2018-09-04, 06:49 AM
It would be interesting if when a caster casts a spell, they can chant in Latin or say a phrase relevant to the spell. I liked how when you cast a spell in Final Fantasy Tactics, the character would say a phrase and then the spell name. You can find them if you search for it on a search engine. Do you mean something like that?

I think what’s meant was spell-lawyering - there are spells that require specifications by the caster about their effects (wish) or triggers (magic mouth), and the question is about how to abuse it/find loopholes in the phrasing („i wish X was dead“ -> time travel into the future where X has died of natural causes/the sun explodes, X and everyone else are dead/X now reacts to the name „Dead“...)

haplot
2018-09-04, 10:55 AM
Aye, I was talking rules lawyering. I just couldn't think of the words when I typed.

Sorry for the confusion.

Laserlight
2018-09-04, 11:12 AM
Aye, I was talking rules lawyering. I just couldn't think of the words when I typed.

Sorry for the confusion.

Your Wish for "Wish wording issues" had wording issues.

Not exactly a Wish, but...in the first DnD game I ever played (at a convention), the DM had a God of Oaths. If you swore to a lie in the name of the God of Oaths, you ceased to exist.

I, being a jerk teenager, tried to steal from the party and got caught, and the party was lining up to Make an Example of me, and pieces of me. I hastily said "By the God of Oaths, I swear that the sun is not shining!" *pop* that was the end of me. I gather from the DM's reaction that was the first time anyone had used it to escape certain doom.

Fast forward a couple of hours, the party botches the quest and ends up captives in Hell. One smart guy says "I swear by the God of Oaths that I don't exist!" Poof, he disappears.
I leaned over to the DM and said "But now his statement is true."
The DM grinned evilly, as one does.
"You are now keeping your oath, and pop back into existence. And now you're breaking it, so you don't exist. And then you exist again, and so on. The bad news is that no one remembers you for more than an instant, so when the commando angel team breaks in to rescue the party, they don't think to take you. The good news is, you're only in Hell for half of eternity."

haplot
2018-09-04, 11:20 AM
I like, great stuff.

Might have to use the Oath God meself :smallsmile: