PDA

View Full Version : Slime Fight!

Klaus Teufel
2018-09-04, 12:21 AM
I'm DMing for a party of six. We're sort of sandboxing around the Underdark, using Out of the Abyss as a source.
The party has just reached 6th level, and are about to take on a bunch of oozes in their home turf.

The big fight will be in a spheroid cavern, with the party entering half way up the wall. (Slime don't need floors!) From the ceiling there hang a number of stalactites, some of which might be ropers. The walls will have various ochres and black puddings, plus a few undead oozes of my own creation - (basically black puddings that do necrotic, with a chance to paralyse) to drain turn attempts from the priest and paladin. Also a few "crimson slimes" that are basically ochres with a ranged attack.

A huge central stalactite contains a hollow with the BBEG. He's an Alip contained by a gelatinous cube. When the cube is taken down to zero hp, the Alip will appear.

Any ideas to improve this scenario?

Ninja_Prawn
2018-09-04, 04:19 AM

Play the background music (https://youtu.be/_G7AS50NAwM) from the jelly pipe level of Yoshi's Story on loop throughout? :smalltongue:

Klaus Teufel
2018-09-04, 07:08 AM
Heh! Sadly, none of us would get the reference. :smallfrown:

bc56
2018-09-04, 07:53 AM
Be careful
The number of monsters you just described can easily wipe a level 6 party.

NaughtyTiger
2018-09-04, 03:36 PM
make a wand of lightning available to the party...

Klaus Teufel
2018-09-04, 09:14 PM
Be careful
The number of monsters you just described can easily wipe a level 6 party.I've inherited an unusually powerful party. As well as allowing an Oathbreaker and a homespun Gnoll, the party has a mental link which allows members to take actions through other members, including spells.

But most of the oozes don't have range, and are slow enough that the party can pick them off. We also tend to have a single-encounter adventuring day, due to the fact that our rl time is restrained, and we don't want to get two rooms further towards some objective each week. We want something more story-like.

This is a boss-fight, and players have also expressed enjoyment of previous encounters that felt really dangerous.

But your concern is appreciated, and I'm certainly not seeking to kill off the party, or even lose individuals. :)

make a wand of lightning available to the party... That's just mean. :smallbiggrin: Pitty the party are already aware of that danger. One did forget last session, and nearly dropped due to suddenly facing two black puddings...

Ooh - just had an idea! I've already introduced undead oozes. But since they turned the first one they met, they don't know it's other qualities. What if they split when struck with radiant damage? :smallbiggrin:

MaxWilson
2018-09-04, 09:33 PM
I'm DMing for a party of six. We're sort of sandboxing around the Underdark, using Out of the Abyss as a source.
The party has just reached 6th level, and are about to take on a bunch of oozes in their home turf.

The big fight will be in a spheroid cavern, with the party entering half way up the wall. (Slime don't need floors!) From the ceiling there hang a number of stalactites, some of which might be ropers. The walls will have various ochres and black puddings, plus a few undead oozes of my own creation - (basically black puddings that do necrotic, with a chance to paralyse) to drain turn attempts from the priest and paladin. Also a few "crimson slimes" that are basically ochres with a ranged attack.

A huge central stalactite contains a hollow with the BBEG. He's an Alip contained by a gelatinous cube. When the cube is taken down to zero hp, the Alip will appear.

More verticality. Instead of a spherical cave, make it a vertical tunnel they are ascending. Movement is a great weakness of oozes, but if they're allowed to just drop right onto the PCs' faces from above, that weakness goes away... until the PCs manage to outclimb them or kill them.

Add in some flying enemies like a swarm of bats or a couple of stirges, for variety, so that not everything is an ooze. Try to keep them alive as long as possible even if that means hiding instead of attacking every round. As long as they remain a force in being, they add a different dimension of challenge than the oozes do.

Add a skeletal corpse with a golden sword at the bottom of the cavern. If a player goes down instead of up, he may have to deal with oozes that everyone else has already bypassed... But he can also loot the body.

That's all the ideas I have. Let us know how it goes.

Ventruenox
2018-09-04, 10:18 PM
Have the Allip been conducting research into slimes in life. His aide in collecting samples was a clay golem. The Golem is still there, and still obtaining samples. The PCs ought not get in its way. It's mere presence should confuse your players, and would turn the encounter deadly if they choose to take it on.

Falcon X
2018-09-04, 10:36 PM
We had a very fun custom encounter to end our ooze adventure.
While a great battle is going on in another part of the city, the party hears screaming from a residential district.
They enter a large (200ish diameter) room with houses here and there and a few exits.
In the center, and a bit towards the players, is a cylinder-shaped beast pumping out acid which is polling on the floor at about a 100’ radius and spreading 5’ each round. Houses are already melting away.
On the “shore” that the players are on are two humanoid ooze guardians who protect the cylinder creature.
On the far other side is an Aspect of Juiblex that is tearing down houses and grabbing people out of their homes.
Lastly, there is a “safe house”. One paranoid person has a circle of protection around his house that he renews daily that keeps the acid out. A friend of the the party has ti d planks to her feet and is trying to carry a child to this refuge.

Luckily, the party had some flight, and a suit of armor that resists acid (I said the boots would completely protect the feet, so that person could walk in the acid).

Louro
2018-09-05, 05:04 AM
make a wand of lightning available to the party...
Oooh, that's evil!