PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 5e What do you think on my House of The Shadow Elf Spy Lore Bard?

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-09-04, 01:53 AM
Hello guys :)

As I am new to 5e(a one shot game is all my XP is 5e, this will be my first long one) and don't know all the tricks I will like to get help with my PC build.

We will start at level one and we will get to high levels.

I am aiming for a scout/skill monky/buff/debuff.

House of The Shadow Elf Spy Lore Bard level 1:

My Abilities are:
8 str
16 dex
12 con
14 int
8 wis
16 cha

My catrips are:
Minor Illusion - race
Massage - Bard
Vicious Mockery - Bard

My level 1 spells are:
Disguise Self - Bard
Hideous Laughter - Bard
Faerie Fire - Bard
Dissonant Whispers - Bard

My skills are:
Deception
History
Perception
Performance
Persuasion
Sleight of Hand
Stealth

Tools:
Viol
Lute
Drum
Thieves' Tools
Dice Set

SirGraystone
2018-09-04, 02:08 PM
It look good, I would have put Con 14 and Int 12 myself but either is fine. For the cantrip: minor illusion can have a lot of use to distract or hide yourself, vicious mockery make sure to make a list of insult to use in game, massage can be fun but try to keep it PG-13 or did you mean message :-D
Faerie Fire is great against a group with high AC or any group you are fighting really, Hideous Laughter can stop a villain completly for a few round nothing more fun then a dragon rolling on the floor laughting instead of trying to kill you. Dissonant Whispers is a fine debuff too. And change self is great for spying or scouting mission.

Others spell you may have a look at are the cantrip friends (give advantage on a charisma check, that include deception and persuasion), and healing word in case someone important go down in battle, it's a bonus action and ranged.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-09-04, 04:15 PM
It look good, I would have put Con 14 and Int 12 myself but either is fine. For the cantrip: minor illusion can have a lot of use to distract or hide yourself, vicious mockery make sure to make a list of insult to use in game, massage can be fun but try to keep it PG-13 or did you mean message :-D
Faerie Fire is great against a group with high AC or any group you are fighting really, Hideous Laughter can stop a villain completly for a few round nothing more fun then a dragon rolling on the floor laughting instead of trying to kill you. Dissonant Whispers is a fine debuff too. And change self is great for spying or scouting mission.

Others spell you may have a look at are the cantrip friends (give advantage on a charisma check, that include deception and persuasion), and healing word in case someone important go down in battle, it's a bonus action and ranged.
Well, I did mean message but my group is usually 18+-I am the youngest and I am 21-(we are having stuff that can be a red flag most of the time. A lot of people are not fine with in game rape, zoophilia ext.)
So I don't need to stay PG-13 :)

I actually don't like the ability to heal because it is never good to try and outheal damage in a fight(we are an engineering student , 2-3 programmers and a jeweler(as a DM), we play with the META(not the Greek one the "Most Effective Tactic Available") or we Don't play at all.).
If we will need healing I will look for a x per day item or let the Droid use his spells for it(we are the only 2 casters and it fit his idea for his character).

I actually not sure if I want to take message or friends, both look really good and fitting the concept I have.

I do understand why having more Con is better but I did 14 Int because it fit the character more).

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-09-04, 09:11 PM
Well, I did mean message but my group is usually 18+-I am the youngest and I am 21-(we are having stuff that can be a red flag most of the time. A lot of people are not fine with in game rape, zoophilia ext.)
So I don't need to stay PG-13 :)

I actually don't like the ability to heal because it is never good to try and outheal damage in a fight(we are an engineering student , 2-3 programmers and a jeweler(as a DM), we play with the META(not the Greek one the "Most Effective Tactic Available") or we Don't play at all.).
If we will need healing I will look for a x per day item or let the Droid use his spells for it(we are the only 2 casters and it fit his idea for his character).

I actually not sure if I want to take message or friends, both look really good and fitting the concept I have.

I do understand why having more Con is better but I did 14 Int because it fit the character more).

I LOVE how you picked a stat that fits the character better.

I like your Bard also.

Your logic is on with healing vs damage but with the Bonus Action / Action / Reaction abilities tou can use each round....well, Bards kick butt at always having something to do, especially Lore Bards

FWIW, my Bard gets a lot of use out of Healing Word. Its a bonus action heal so you can cast it AND a Cantrip level Spell in the same round's action.

By level 3 or whatever in one round of combat you can:

Bonus Action: Cast Healing Word to stand up a fallen comrad from a distance

Action: Minor illusion, an attack or Vicious Mockery

Reaction (during the bad guy's attack) : cutting words

The Bard can always be busy!