PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying I made a Mammoth Friend - Now What

nickl_2000
2018-09-04, 07:23 AM
So last night my moon Druid snuck into a Mammoth Stable and made friends with 3 trained Mammoth mounts (trained by giants). Due to an upcasting of Animal Friendship and some poor rolling on the Mammoth's they are now my friends. So far they have assisted use in wiping out several encounters with Giants and acted as a mount for our Bladelock, but I would like the keep one for the longer term (hey, it reminds me of home).

So, what does a Mammoth eat? How would I make friends with one long term? Can you buy barding for a Mammoth? What else would you do with a Mammoth friend?

hymer
2018-09-04, 07:32 AM
Sounds like you're having fun! :smallsmile:

So, what does a Mammoth eat?
Goodberries. Other than that, plant matter in vast quantities. The various mammoths were adapted to their particular environments, and so ate what plants were there.

How would I make friends with one long term?
If Awaken is out of the question, Speak with Animals should allow the animal to express itself, and give you some ideas of what you can do for it. Mammoths are likely gregarious, though, making it both easier to make friends with one, and yet harder to make friends with just one. Separating it from its herd is unlikely to make it happy.

Can you buy barding for a Mammoth?
If you can't, you can at least commission it. Maybe some of those giants' less hostile cousins can help. Otherwise someone who uses war elephants might be a place to look for some pointers.

What else would you do with a Mammoth friend?
Like with an 800-pound gorilla, anything you want. Where I'm from, the one riding a mammoth always has the right of way. :smallwink:

nickl_2000
2018-09-04, 09:03 AM
Goodberries. Other than that, plant matter in vast quantities. The various mammoths were adapted to their particular environments, and so ate what plants were there.

DMs choice was it would cost 9 goodberries to feed it every day (may be worth it for fun).

If Awaken is out of the question, Speak with Animals should allow the animal to express itself, and give you some ideas of what you can do for it. Mammoths are likely gregarious, though, making it both easier to make friends with one, and yet harder to make friends with just one. Separating it from its herd is unlikely to make it happy.

Awaken is not out of the question, it's just really, really expensive and while other people talk about having all the money in the world by level 10. I don't. Still, we may do this for the fun of it!

Moredhel24
2018-09-04, 03:54 PM
So, what does a Mammoth eat? Can you buy barding for a Mammoth?

Depends on the species but in general, they ate grasses. So same diet as a horse just in muchlarger quantity. I'd say yes since they're related to and generally the same size as elephants which are listed mounts and can buy barding for.