PDA

View Full Version : Bag of Holding shenanigans

Chuupag
2018-09-04, 04:47 PM
So I'm DMing a low level party. I want to offer them some magic items with more RP and flavor than outright power. I'm thinking of setting up something where they are offered like 4 bags, but can only pick 1. Maybe set up a DC 15 for 2, 18 for 3, 21 for all 4 sort of thing for persuasion or something.

Some of the things I'm coming up with are like rings of spell storing, decanter of endless water, longsword of alertness, goggles of night, grey bag of tricks, and some mithral chain mail.

Also thinking about having one of them full of 6 zombies if they end up getting 2 or more, just to kind of get them thinking about possibilities as they are all new players.

Any other good ideas of low power interesting items or tricks I can throw in them? I want to be giving them a trickle of items over the next 2 or 3 levels before giving them some actual + stat stuff.

Maelynn
2018-09-04, 04:54 PM
Check Xanathar's, that's where I got items from that I gave them for similar reasons. It has a nice list of items that are more fluff than usefulness.

Clothes of Mending, for the girl with the noble background - she may have turned to adventuring, but she's still too good for menial tasks like sewing.

Pipe of Smoke Monsters, for the guy who likes to get high on whatever nature has to offer and also has a way with kids.

Heward's Handy Spice Pouch, for the guy who picked cooking utensils as his free tool proficiency and would like to add some RP fluff in sessions.

Lunali
2018-09-04, 05:13 PM
One trick that's always fun, turn bag of holding inside out, put hand inside, grab something through bag, pull bag right side out with object still inside. End result, bag of holding with something in the non-extradimensional part of the bag, only accessible by entering an antimagic field or dumping everything out of the bag.

Laserlight
2018-09-04, 07:47 PM
Clothes of Mending, for the girl with the noble background - she may have turned to adventuring, but she's still too good for menial tasks like sewing.

I don't need that any more, I just bought hired a servant.

Dalebert
2018-09-04, 09:00 PM
Also thinking about having one of them full of 6 zombies...

Hate to be a party-pooper but they don't really hold as much as most people seem to think. It's 64 cubic feet and 500 lbs. Figure a an average zombie weighs what an average human does. Let's say 175 lbs. So three max by weight alone. And the space inside, while not a rigid shape, can be imagined as a 4x4x4 ft cube. If you picture people standing up inside it so it's about 6 ft tall, then it's about 2ft by 5ft in the other dimensions. Three ppl would prolly fit but they be getting pretty intimate.

Just sayin'.

Chuupag
2018-09-05, 07:51 AM
Hate to be a party-pooper but they don't really hold as much as most people seem to think. It's 64 cubic feet and 500 lbs. Figure a an average zombie weighs what an average human does. Let's say 175 lbs. So three max by weight alone. And the space inside, while not a rigid shape, can be imagined as a 4x4x4 ft cube. If you picture people standing up inside it so it's about 6 ft tall, then it's about 2ft by 5ft in the other dimensions. Three ppl would prolly fit but they be getting pretty intimate.

Just sayin'.

I'd already thought that through...and I'm going to disagree about the weight of zombies. I'm figuring they are dried out, possibly missing organs or who knows what else. I was ball parking 80 pounds for a zombie, which would fit the weight requirement.

I also feel the dimensions are not really an issue. Zombies don't care about being too intimate. 1 zombie can easily fit into a shape 6x2x1, or 12 cubic feet. I could fit 5 with that number, and I figure stacking them in there like sardines would get me the extra room for the 6th. Who is to say the wizard, young dragon, whatever didn't just dig up some old bodies, cram them in there, then cast animate dead and close the bag.

Dalebert
2018-09-05, 08:31 AM
I'd already thought that through...and I'm going to disagree about the weight of zombies. I'm figuring they are dried out, possibly missing organs or who knows what else. I was ball parking 80 pounds for a zombie, which would fit the weight requirement.

I suppose it depends how fresh they are.

kamap
2018-09-05, 08:32 AM
Who says they need to be full grown human zombies?
D&D has gnomes, halflings, goblins and a bunch of other small races and why not throw in a zombie rabbit or any other animal or creature for the heck of it?