PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Let's Make A Chronomancer

Vaern
2018-09-04, 09:14 PM
I had a chronomancer class written up at one point several years ago, but lost it after formatting my PC without backing up my shenanigans folder. Here's a brief description of how I went about it. I saw a thread about creating a 5e chronomancer a while back, and it reminded me of my own chronomancer class and I thought I might try to recreate it.

One of my friends was telling me about some crazy stuff that could be done with the White Wolf Mage system, and gave me a brief description of the Paradox and how Bad Stuff™ would happen to a mage who altered reality to too great of a degree. So the 3.5 chronomancer class I wrote up was largely based around a similar paradox theme.
The class used an Unearthed Arcana spell point system. Certain spells which twisted the timeline or allowed the character to reach into the past or future to obtain a physical object would apply paradox points, which acted kind of like non-lethal damage against the caster's spell point pool. If the character's current spell point total fell below their current paradox, they became unable to cast spells. The only way to remove paradox was to somehow correct the anomaly they created. Generally, the spells I had written using this mechanic has effects comparable to existing sorc/wiz spells, but available a spell level lower.
For example, they might have some sort of "future shape" spell that could transmute a lump of wood or metal into the shape of a sword or a bow for a brief time, but in order to remove the paradox created by the spell they would have to carry that material with them after the effect ends until they are able to ultimately have it crafted into the key that they needed back then. This effect might generate a couple of points of paradox, while higher level effects that have much more noticeable impact on the world might generate several dozen points of paradox with its damage to both the chronomancer and the world around him being exceptionally difficult to repair.
Then, finally, if the chronomancer should ever accumulate so much paradox as to exceed his total maximum spell points, he effectively dies. He is shunted to an alternate timeline where the most severe changes he made to his home timeline would have occurred naturally, thus removing him from the game. The only way he can be retrieved is for his party to intervene and undo the damages he caused in his home timeline, and then use a limited wish or miracle spell to pull him back.

The class may not be intended for players, so much as to add a bit of flavor to the world. The world I had in mind at the time had outlawed chronomancy due to how dangerous manipulation of time can be not only to the chronomancers themselves, but to the world around them, with a notable point in history being the banding together of chronomancers to try undoing a major catastrophe and almost destroying the universe in the process. Nevertheless, a few chronomancers still existed, and I wanted the class to be detailed enough that the players could choose to dabble in the craft even after watching a friendly NPC chronomancer slowly destroying himself. And hopefully by the time the chronomancer vanished, the party would be attached enough to him to attempt to save him.
Anyway, the major thing I'm missing in the development is personalized chronomancer class spells. I had a good number before, but they've all been lost. Other than the unique spell list that interacts with the paradox mechanic in a meaningful way, it should just be a fairly simple 1d4 HD, 1/2 BAB, high will save arcane caster.

Measure Time
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Duration: Instantaneous
This spell has two functions: Timekeeping and time lapse.
If you choose the timekeeping function, you discern the date and time to the minute in relation to any calendar of your choosing.
If you choose the time lapse function, you choose a specific time and immediately discern the span of time between then and now. This may tell you how much time has passed since a certain event, or how much time has yet to pass before the chosen time occurs.

Mismeasure Time
Components: V, S
Range: Short
Target: One crature
Duration: 1 hour
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
You distort the target's perception of time, causing him to believe that the current time is up to 10 minutes per caster level earlier or later than it actually is. If the subject is informed that he is running early or late, he gains an additional saving throw against the spell. If the subject refers to a definitive way of keeping time such as a timepiece or a spell such as measure time, the effect ends.

Accelerate
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The flow of time around the touched creature is altered, allowing it to move faster. Its movement speed is increased by 10 feet.
This spell does not stack with other effects that increase movement speed. Accelerate counters and dispels decelerate.

Decelerate
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
The flow of time around the touched creature is altered, forcing it to move more slowly. Its movement speed is reduced by 10 feet.
Multiple applications of decelerate don't stack. Decelerate counters and dispels accelerate.

Chronal Blast, Lesser
Range: Short (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Saving Throw: None
You make a ranged touch attack against your target, attempting to blast them with a spasm of space-time flux. An affected creature takes 1d4 points of damage, plus 1d4 per two caster levels above first (to a maximum of 5d4 at 9th level)

Aging Ray*
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Ray
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
You fire a ray that forces the subject to age. Most creatures struck by this ray suffers penalties to his strength, dexterity, and constitution ability scores as though he had advanced one age category, to a maximum of venerable. These penalties may not reduce any ability score below 3. A creature which advances by age category, such as a dragon, adjusts its ability scores accordingly, but gains no other bonuses such as increased size, additional hit dice, attack bonus, or base saving throw bonuses.
Aging ray reverses the effects of de-aging ray, and vice versa.

De-Aging Ray*
Components: V, S, F
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Ray
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
You fire a ray that forces to subject to revert to an earlier form of itself. An affected creature's ability scores are adjusted to reflect a creature one category younger, to a minimum of adult. If a creature is already an adult, it suffers a -2 penalty to each of its strength, dexterity, and constitution ability scores, to a minimum of 3. A creature which advances by age category, such as a dragon, adjusts its ability scores accordingly, but suffers no additional penalties such as reduced size or loss of hit dice, attack bonus, or base saving throw bonuses.
De-aging ray reverses the effects of aging ray, and vice versa.
Focus: An hourglass that has been enchanted so that its sand flows backwards, worth at least 100 gp.

Augury
As the spell

Slow Death
Target: One dying creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
This spell only benefits a creature who is between -9 and 0 hit points. The subject become suspended in time, preventing him from bleeding out for the duration of the spell. He may still be damaged or healed, which ends the spell, but does not roll to stabilize while the spell persists.

Gentle Repose
As the spell

Last Words
Casting Time: 1 minute
Target: Corpse touched
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
As you touch the corpse you have a vision from the past and witness the creature's last moments of life. This vision is brief and reveals how the subject died, though details may not always be clear. For example, you might know that the subject died in bed from illness, though you may not be able to discern whether the cause was a natural disease or poison.
If the subject died a violent death, the caster may see his killer and any bystanders. After the caster witnesses the subject's death, there is a 2% chance per caster level each round that the vision extends beyond the subject's death, to a maximum of one minute. This may reveal important information such as which direction the killer went, or whether a valuable item was stolen from the scene of a murder.
If this spell is cast on a destroyed undead, instead of a vision of the creature's death, the caster witnesses the moment that the undead creature was created.

aimlessPolymath
2018-09-04, 09:28 PM
I built a prototype prestige class based around these sorts of abilities.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?541373-Maybe-functional-time-travel-The-Time-Walker-(Class-Prototype-Design)

Feel free to plunder it for ideas.

Edit: Also see this:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?308317-The-Temporal-Wanderer-3-5-base-class

nonsi
2018-09-05, 08:30 AM
The time paradox concept (and paradox points) is exactly why chronomancy never stuck as a viable game mechanic.
It requires a lot of bookkeeping and it's next to impossible to find a GM that would dip his toes into the swamp of the time stream mending itself.
Chronomancy can be all about precognition and acceleration/deceleration, with the ability to go backwards in time becoming available no sooner than epic levels (and something that exacts a terrible price of character resources).

Vaern
2018-09-05, 01:21 PM
I built a prototype prestige class based around these sorts of abilities.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?541373-Maybe-functional-time-travel-The-Time-Walker-(Class-Prototype-Design)

Feel free to plunder it for ideas.

Edit: Also see this:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?308317-The-Temporal-Wanderer-3-5-base-class
Interesting. Looks like including general laws of time travel with the class description isn't uncommon, but I was just detailing what can and can't be done with each spell individually. Your second law implying that the past can be changed so long as memories of the events remain consistent reminds me of the final bit of Steins;Gate :p

The time paradox concept (and paradox points) is exactly why chronomancy never stuck as a viable game mechanic.
It requires a lot of bookkeeping and it's next to impossible to find a GM that would dip his toes into the swamp of the time stream mending itself.
Chronomancy can be all about precognition and acceleration/deceleration, with the ability to go backwards in time becoming available no sooner than epic levels (and something that exacts a terrible price of character resources).
Yeah, it seems like a common concept between my own chronomancer and both of the one that aimlessPolymath linked. I don't think the second class he linked had a way of quantifying paradox, though it does have a similar penalty of the the chronomancer being ripped from the timeline if he grossly modifies it. The whole idea is a real pain in the backside, but being able to interact with the past and future seems almost essential to the concept of the class. Otherwise, there's not a lot that they'll be able to do that a common wizard doesn't already have access to.

nonsi
2018-09-05, 02:37 PM
Yeah, it seems like a common concept between my own chronomancer and both of the one that aimlessPolymath linked. I don't think the second class he linked had a way of quantifying paradox, though it does have a similar penalty of the the chronomancer being ripped from the timeline if he grossly modifies it. The whole idea is a real pain in the backside, but being able to interact with the past and future seems almost essential to the concept of the class. Otherwise, there's not a lot that they'll be able to do that a common wizard doesn't already have access to.

IDK, I think my Time Bender manages to overcome that problem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18777492&postcount=25).

Vaern
2018-09-05, 07:27 PM
I skimmed that while I was at home and figured I could take a closer look at it later, but now my phone is being dumb and not loading your link. I'll have to wait until I'm home again to read through it properly D:
I am seeing a trend, though, of everyone else's time-themed classes being d8 martial classes with supernatural abilities rather than being actual spellcasters. I suppose it is easier to fill up 10 or 20 levels with appropriately themed class features than to populate a unique class spell list.

nonsi
2018-09-06, 02:09 AM
I skimmed that while I was at home and figured I could take a closer look at it later, but now my phone is being dumb and not loading your link. I'll have to wait until I'm home again to read through it properly D:
I am seeing a trend, though, of everyone else's time-themed classes being d8 martial classes with supernatural abilities rather than being actual spellcasters. I suppose it is easier to fill up 10 or 20 levels with appropriately themed class features than to populate a unique class spell list.

There's more to it than just being easier.
A convincing chronomancer should be someone that senses time and interacts with time on an instinctive level. That's just not the case with spellcasting.

Eldan
2018-09-06, 04:29 AM
You could probably do a bit more than the Timebender, but you'd have to be very careful about it. Bodily travelling through time is just too much of a hassle and I don't think it can work well in RPGs. But you could do other things. More... trickery. Like, sending information through time. A Chronomancer could have a journal, through which they themselves could send information from the future. Limit it to a certain number of words, like a sending spell. Then, with DM approval, you could answer a number of questions per day, that you would have a chance to find the answer to in the next week. Like, maybe a password to the secret cult base. Or which book in the library contains the diagram for the spell you need.
Or you could go a bit further, and use it almost like divination, where you are "prepared". There's that divination feature where you leave a spell slot open and then later on declare that you just magically have the right spell prepared in that slot. You could build a class around that. You keep an amount of money back, then later on declare that you bought just teh tool you need, as long as it's something you could buy in the near future and have the money for.

Edit: which seems to be more or less Polymath's concept, too.

nonsi
2018-09-06, 11:12 AM
You could probably do a bit more than the Timebender, but you'd have to be very careful about it. Bodily travelling through time is just too much of a hassle and I don't think it can work well in RPGs. But you could do other things. More... trickery. Like, sending information through time. A Chronomancer could have a journal, through which they themselves could send information from the future. Limit it to a certain number of words, like a sending spell. Then, with DM approval, you could answer a number of questions per day, that you would have a chance to find the answer to in the next week. Like, maybe a password to the secret cult base. Or which book in the library contains the diagram for the spell you need.

Sounds like Divination spell on steroids, which I like a lot, but I'll need specifics, to make sure it doesn't take away the element of players having to use their heads from the game (riddles, codes, puzzles, combinations, etc.)
Anyhow, my Time Bender offers a new talent called "Precognition", which duplicates the effect of Divination spell.

Or you could go a bit further, and use it almost like divination, where you are "prepared". There's that divination feature where you leave a spell slot open and then later on declare that you just magically have the right spell prepared in that slot. You could build a class around that. You keep an amount of money back, then later on declare that you bought just teh tool you need, as long as it's something you could buy in the near future and have the money for.

Seems somewhat similar to my proposed Alternate Self feat.
My problem with your suggestion is the butterfly effect, when rewriting past actions should somehow trickle to the present in an unpredictable way, whereas in the case of Alternate Self, I could explain it as the time bender's temporal intuition, which does not involve actual changes in the past, so there's nothing to adjust or compensate for in the present.

Edit: which seems to be more or less Polymath's concept, too.

I guess one could get that impression, but that wasn't my intent or vision.

khadgar567
2018-09-06, 12:37 PM
If you ask me about mage using chronemany the main power i give is 10 turns to 1 turn ability of planer shepherd druid as its iconic enough power that most characters with miligram time mastery gone use in some way or form then just update the succer to time alter from fate series

Eldan
2018-09-06, 12:47 PM
Sounds like Divination spell on steroids, which I like a lot, but I'll need specifics, to make sure it doesn't take away the element of players having to use their heads from the game (riddles, codes, puzzles, combinations, etc.)
Anyhow, my Time Bender offers a new talent called "Precognition", which duplicates the effect of Divination spell.

It's not even somethingyou couldn't do with some divination spells, just faster. I mean,once you can just ask the gods questions, you can find almost any information.

khadgar567
2018-09-06, 01:19 PM
It's not even somethingyou couldn't do with some divination spells, just faster. I mean,once you can just ask the gods questions, you can find almost any information.
or eat a intensified lightning in middle of dungeon.

Vaern
2018-09-06, 09:59 PM
I found a very old notebook with some possible spells in it. Added a few to my opening post as a spoiler. There's nothing in here about actual time travel, but there's quite a bit of aging, reverse aging, slowing, accelerating, extending and contracting spell effects, a handful of divinations, and a chronal blast spell that's clearly ripped off of the ability of the same name possessed by the Phane (an epic-level abomination of time).

Morphic tide
2018-09-08, 08:36 PM

Well, the use of Paradox Points as an "overlay" on an actual defined resource that then goes away when you can accomplish the task by other means streamlines a lot of the issues, as you then build around having it be stuff you can do otherwise, but in impractically-time-consuming ways. A version of Fabricate that's literally frontloading the crafting could afford to be two levels lower, as you need to craft it eventually or else you're mana-screwed. A gradual decay of it over time for tasks you can't do then makes it a variation of overchannel without forcing all that extra bookkeeping. The bookkeeping can be a simple mechanical requirement to remove each lot of Paradox.

Honestly, I'd shuffle the Paradox stuff into class features that draw on spell points in the described fashion, similarly to the PF Unchained Monk Ki Powers. They're not actually spells, which solves a number of mechanical issues regarding any off-list access mechanics, and offers actual spell space entirely to ordinary spellcasting. Each feature could then have a Paradox cost and a specified early removal of that cost, such as a Fabricate ability having the Paradox cost go away as you perform the craft checks. A more complicated setup is Creation effects. One of the ways to go about it, for temporary ones, is that you directly cause the same material to duplicate by messing with time, making it "loop around" such that it can "decay" instead of abruptly vanishing. Because the paradoxical circumstances inherently resolve themselves, this can have an extremely low Paradox cost because you're only making a temporal impossibility momentarily.

Of course, individual picks can have multiple usage options inherently. For example, the "Decay" category could have gradually reducing effects over time, as the paradox is gradually reversed. This has lower up-front costs and recovers a lot faster, though rendering the effect permanent by carrying out the appropriate actions to make it happen normally in that time can be done. Not all categories would be present for all effects, and some wording could be used to allow you to, for example, time-clone directly to a finished product from materials if you have both the "Creation" and "Fabricate" copying abilities, then work the original into that form over time. The copy can then stay as a time-clone while the finished product part becomes Paradox-free, frontloading the crafting and giving you a weapon to use as you craft, and an extra when you're done.

Clauses should, generally, be structured around what you can do yourself anyways. For example, skipped crafting takes any relevant materials and turns them into anything you can craft in a given timeframe (which may scale by level). Up to and including instantaneous magic item creation, right off the bat. However, the Paradox cost of this scales with the difference in value between materials and finished product, so instantly making a 20k GP weapon isn't going to be doable until fairly high level. Before that point, the Paradox cost flat-out shuts off your spellcasting for days to months.

Similarly, teleportation would directly query your readily-available ability to travel by other means in a period of time. As you travel back towards your point of departure, the Paradox gets lower, making it great for leaving a central "hub" quickly, then returning the long way. However, it again decays over time, so it can just be used to skip large distances, provided you have a rest period when you get there to get the Paradox down.

The overall result would be having a better time-and-wealth-to-power ratio than nearly any other class has innately (Artificers being an arguable exception), but actually making use of it has medium-term costs that make it unlikely to be doable mid-campaign. A lot of doubling-up on effectiveness, frontloading conversions, early access to fairly powerful effects with added, mitigatable, downsides and generally working better in immediate here-and-now and long-term situations than most conventional spellcasters, but suffering in medium-term situations where the costs of using the advantages become serious downsides. Ideally timed to the week-or-so typical campaign schedule, making the class usually less powerful, but in the situations where casters already tend to shine brightest, they become rather nonsensical... At rapidly doing what they can do anyways, which isn't all of what the other casters can do. More of what's already there, nothing actually new, is the end product I'd aim for with the feature-based Paradox-causing time manipulation.

FlameUser64
2018-09-09, 02:11 AM
Potential fun chronomancer idea: The ability to summon your future self for a couple rounds. Essentially, a duplicate of you in your current state (with regards to resources, items, hit points, etc.) appears, and all resources are shared between you and your duplicate (for example, if one of you expends a consumable item, the other then cannot access it; to prevent stupidity, both the "present" you and the "future" you cannot have the same consumable item drawn at the same time). A few rounds later, the "present" self vanishes, leaving only the future self.

Basically your personal timeline overlaps itself briefly, like so:

>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>

While the fact that the future self doesn't start in the state you'll be in in 3 rounds' time (or whatever the duration is set to) is technically paradox-y, this seems like a functional simplification to me. Might be better to set the duration shorter than 3 rounds. Maybe 2 rounds, or you could make it only 1 round but have it be activated as a free or swift action.

Vaern
2018-09-10, 01:47 AM
There's actually an epic-level spell that pulls a time clone back from the future for one round. The mechanics are a bit more confusing. Rather than simply overlapping, there is a period of time where there are zero versions of you to balance out the period where there are two of you.
First, you pull a time duplicate back in time from one round in the future as a free action (the spell is inherently quickened), so for that one round there's two of you.
Then at the beginning of the second round, the time duplicate's duration expires causing the "future" you to be pushed forward one round back to his appropriate place in the time stream while the "present" you is pulled back in time to become the previously "future" you, meaning there are zero yous on round two.
Then on round three, "future" you rejoins the time stream after being shunted forward at the beginning of round two. There is now only one of you. It ends up looking like this.

>>>>
> >>>
Unfortunately, there's a clause in the spell description stating that it's impossible to make a version of the spell with a longer duration or to summon multiple time clones, and it is from the epic level handbook which is an official source. Which is a bit odd, because the spell is far from game-breaking even compared to non-epic-level spells. You essentially act twice on one round and then lose a round, so summoning the time clone doesn't really grant you any benefit as far as action economy goes. Best case scenario: Either you have a cooperative casting feat, which would allow you to help yourself cast a stronger spell; or you have another epic spell available that requires a second caster, which you could assist yourself in casting.

nonsi
2018-09-11, 08:18 AM
[*snip*]

Since I found a way to make chronomancy work w/o dealing with paradox points, I currently see no advantage in incorporating them into my proposed class.
That said, I definitely appreciate the idea of rapid crafting and I absolutely intend to make it work somehow (though I guess that multiclassing would be required to make the most out of it, since crafting is not exactly that class' shtick).

Morphic tide
2018-09-11, 03:34 PM
Since I found a way to make chronomancy work w/o dealing with paradox points, I currently see no advantage in incorporating them into my proposed class.
That said, I definitely appreciate the idea of rapid crafting and I absolutely intend to make it work somehow (though I guess that multiclassing would be required to make the most out of it, since crafting is not exactly that class' shtick).

The advantage is that it gives a straightforwards mechanic for outright time travel, though admittedly only sorts that have very direct mechanical weight. Manipulating the flow rate is only a small part of time alteration, as is pre/post-cognition, and the usage of Paradox Points that are removed by accomplishing straightforwards tasks that are doable by other means then lets you dig into much heavier time manipulation... That mostly amounts to frontloading effects from much more time consuming causes.

You can squeeze out a fuller package of "spellcasting" with it, duplicating Conjuration and Transmutation effects, in addition to... Well, other Transmutation effects and Divination.

nonsi
2018-09-12, 06:55 AM
The advantage is that it gives a straightforwards mechanic for outright time travel, though admittedly only sorts that have very direct mechanical weight. Manipulating the flow rate is only a small part of time alteration, as is pre/post-cognition, and the usage of Paradox Points that are removed by accomplishing straightforwards tasks that are doable by other means then lets you dig into much heavier time manipulation... That mostly amounts to frontloading effects from much more time consuming causes.

You can squeeze out a fuller package of "spellcasting" with it, duplicating Conjuration and Transmutation effects, in addition to... Well, other Transmutation effects and Divination.

Could you specify the paradox accumulation and expenditure mechanics as you visualize it?
AFAICT, the Time Bender (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18777492&postcount=25)'s Motes and Aevum resources are all the currency that it needs for whatever temporal power I'd come up with. I just can't imagine the added value of another/alternative resource to draw from. It just seems to me like the class already has everything it needs.
I also took a peek at the Time Warden's list of spells (which has spellcasting on top of Motes and Aevum - and w/o paradox tracking) and a lot of them don't seem to have any relation to temporal effects.
As for regular spellcasting - for that you don't need a custom class. You can just multiclass Sorc + FS and go MT. This can eventually grant you access to any spell even remotely associated with time.

Morphic tide
2018-09-13, 02:57 PM
Could you specify the paradox accumulation and expenditure mechanics as you visualize it?
AFAICT, the Time Bender (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18777492&postcount=25)'s Motes and Aevum resources are all the currency that it needs for whatever temporal power I'd come up with. I just can't imagine the added value of another/alternative resource to draw from. It just seems to me like the class already has everything it needs.
I also took a peek at the Time Warden's list of spells (which has spellcasting on top of Motes and Aevum - and w/o paradox tracking) and a lot of them don't seem to have any relation to temporal effects.
As for regular spellcasting - for that you don't need a custom class. You can just multiclass Sorc + FS and go MT. This can eventually grant you access to any spell even remotely associated with time.

The mechanic listed by the OP, where it's essentially temporary expenditure of spell points (relabeling can be used) that go away when you accomplish the Paradox-based task being used for more powerful than normally permitted effects. My own adjustment is to A.) confine the abilities powered by it to stuff doable by the class by other means and B.) have then decay over time so that you don't need to actually do the thing to recover.

It's a way to represent time-travel based shenanigans without making the bookeeping utterly mindbending to work with, while offering a mechanical framework that permits more powerful effects without crippling your character's lower-power options (or bypassing power constraints otherwise present, like letting you bypass the ML constraints on a Psionic class built around it). It's still a two-resource system, but built on overlapping resources instead of separate ones, with a single scaling number, but two mechanics of how it's adjusted.

...Come to think of it, a time-manipulating Psionic base class would be an interesting setup, as Psionics is actually interrupted by Quintessence, which is condensed time. A surprising number of Psionic powers interfere with time, such as Recall Agony actually working by folding time such that wounds from the past or future take effect in the present. By appearances, Psionics seems to be either only partially attached to standard causality or extremely firmly attached to standard causality. In both cases, the "weight" of psionic energy could be used to explain retaining attachment to the prime timeline, even after extremely extensive alterations to it.

You actually have a decent set of abilities with just the time-manipulating powers (counting pre/postcognition as time-manipulation) from a pretty low level, and permitting larger chunks of the related power-space of Psychoportation and Clairsentience can get you quite the good starting point on Power usage. Generally, a Psychoportation/Clairsentience mixed-specialist, focused on the shared field of time manipulation and getting off-discipline powers in that theme (including the Quintessence-making Metacreativity power), could make for a good Psionic fixed-list class, like the Beguiler. Does few things, but they're good things to do (action manipulation, teleportation and divination) and it does them well. Paradox could then add off-theme powers that are easily justified as time travel (relabeling them to Psychoportation or Clairsentience as fits time-travel-based versions) while also being a bolstering mechanic to get some better tradeoffs over the Psion's potential totipotence, in a combination of endurance and power peaks that give some real play advantages. Inferior in theorycrafting, yes, but better in much of actual gameplay.