PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Occult Lore Bard

werescythe
2018-09-05, 12:27 AM
So I am playing a fun campaign with some of my friends (hopefully some new ones as well) where I am playing a Changeling (new Eberron UA) Bard who works as a mask maker for his society (in this world sometimes Changelings will forget their past selves or their deceased loved ones, so they have a designated mask maker).

Due to a past that he is forgotten, he is unaware of the spells he once possessed (which he will relearn as he levels up).

My thoughts is that he may have been a part of a cult or secret society in his past. Thus I wanted to see if any of you might have some suggestions for what sort of spells/feats he should take to reflect this. Just remember to try to avoid using to many concentration spells (the one thing that in my opinion is the bane of all bards, is having too many concentration spells and not enough spells that you can use while concentrating on other things).

Unoriginal
2018-09-05, 03:15 AM
Maybe just re-fluff a spell to have an unique appearance. As in, magic missile turns into Rovak's Amber Tentacles.

werescythe
2018-09-07, 12:53 PM
Maybe just re-fluff a spell to have an unique appearance. As in, magic missile turns into Rovak's Amber Tentacles.

That wasn't really what I was looking for. I'm looking for suggestions on spells (both bard and non bard (magical secrets ability)) that could fit this role.

Finger6842
2018-09-07, 03:35 PM
Fabricate, Creation or Stone Shape may help make masks.
Programmed Illusion may give the mask the Illusion of life.
True Polymorph may help you give them life.
Symbol, Glyph of Warding, Delayed Blast Fireball and Archanists Magic Aura may help you protect the mask(s) from theft.
Flesh to Stone may make masks direct from the dead changling though probably only if your evil or a great tap dancer.
Animate Object may help you use the masks for a performance OR a "Ceremony" (yes, as in the spell, just convince the DM that remembrance ceremonies would be useful ...)
Depending on your DM it's possible Awaken may be useful (if your mask is dumb enough after the true polymorph maybe they can make a council of advisors)
Skill Empowerment would likely boost your skills for a difficult shaping.
Divination would be thematic as well and MIGHT give you advantage against a success.
Guidance cantrip may help you with any required skill checks.
Mending may help you make repairs to any screw ups.
Prestidigitation and Thaumaturgy may also be useful but check with the DM on all of it first.

Lots of tools may be useful, I think it's knowledge cleric that might most help there. The following may all be relevant.
Carpenter’s
Glassblower’s
Jeweler’s tools
Leatherworker’s
Mason’s
Painter’s supplies
Potter’s
Smith’s
Tinker’s
Weaver’s
Woodcarver’s

Edit
Forgot the "Skilled" Feat may be useful, though as a Bard you probably don't need it.