PDA

View Full Version : Monk/Lock question

Vaklor4
2018-09-05, 11:01 AM
Im making a new character at level 6 and im wondering what to go with. Im going Shadow Monk and Old One warlock, but im curious how I should split my multiclass.

Should I go 6 monk for the shadow step out the gate, 1 level of Lock for the spells and old one telepathy, or 2 lock for evocations, but lose out initially on d6 unarmed and extra attack?

The ultimate goal is to get 8 monk, 4 lock and go from there, but im curious what you guys think I should start with. 3/3 is out of the question since I wanna start with the Mobile feature.

Vogie
2018-09-05, 11:13 AM
Im making a new character at level 6 and im wondering what to go with. Im going Shadow Monk and Old One warlock, but im curious how I should split my multiclass.

Should I go 6 monk for the shadow step out the gate, 1 level of Lock for the spells and old one telepathy, or 2 lock for evocations, but lose out initially on d6 unarmed and extra attack?

The ultimate goal is to get 8 monk, 4 lock and go from there, but im curious what you guys think I should start with. 3/3 is out of the question since I wanna start with the Mobile feature.

You probably want at least 5 levels of monk for the extra attack & upgraded Martial Arts die out of the gate, and 1 level of Warlock so you start session 1 with some spells and telepathy, but you're still largely a monk.

Depending on your concept, you may want more spells & invocations (and possibly even a pact boon) before shadow step & evasion, but they're all very strong.

nickl_2000
2018-09-05, 11:37 AM
If it were me, I would go all 6 starting out as monk. That nets you shadow step, something that can get you out of a lot of bind in combat and can have some sweet out of combat utility too. You will still have some casting with the Ki abilities.

Then, depending on the need of the group and the play style you can decide where to go from there (if you need ranged attacks, go 2 warlock). Personally I would go level 7 Monk, then 2 Warlock, then 8 monk for the ASI, then continue Warlock.