PDA

View Full Version : Character ideas for Waterdeep; Dragon Heist

Theodoxus
2018-09-05, 02:13 PM
What are y'alls plans for characters? All I've been reading about it, is it's less combat intensive and more intrigue driven. As such, prototypical things like strength based raging bear totem barbarians need not apply... (though I've been toying around with a dex based ancestral guardian barbi...)

But I'm figuring the party I usually kick it with (in AL, because yeah) - is going to go primarily rogue and caster.

I'm heavily leaning toward Ranger with favored enemies being humanoids (depending on what the boss is) and aberrations (because why not).

Might dip rogue (swashbuckler) might not...

Other idea was a Knowledge Cleric / Lore Bard hybrid who knows all the things... but that feels particularly min-max-y...

So was just curious what others had planned out.

n00b
2018-09-05, 03:25 PM
I'm curious to hear what other's ideas are as well. We're starting this as soon as it comes out and then going straight into Mad Mage. With that I don't think you can optimize for an urban campaign specifically. Going to have to come up with something well rounded. Right now I'm struggling to come up with something.

the_brazenburn
2018-09-05, 03:38 PM
I'd go with a rogue. Rogues can work far any campaign, but they are especially good for intrigue and dungeon crawls.

Knowledge Cleric would be fun too.

GlenSmash!
2018-09-05, 04:16 PM
I'd probably go Inquisitive or Mastermind Rogue, but I love the Ranger idea.

clem
2018-09-05, 04:43 PM
I'm thinking a githzerai knowledge cleric, a cloistered scholar. No nonsense type who is devoted to the Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon but also a business-like relationship with Oghma.

Grear Bylls
2018-09-05, 07:44 PM
What are y'alls plans for characters? All I've been reading about it, is it's less combat intensive and more intrigue driven. As such, prototypical things like strength based raging bear totem barbarians need not apply... (though I've been toying around with a dex based ancestral guardian barbi...)

But I'm figuring the party I usually kick it with (in AL, because yeah) - is going to go primarily rogue and caster.

I'm heavily leaning toward Ranger with favored enemies being humanoids (depending on what the boss is) and aberrations (because why not).

Might dip rogue (swashbuckler) might not...

Other idea was a Knowledge Cleric / Lore Bard hybrid who knows all the things... but that feels particularly min-max-y...

So was just curious what others had planned out.

I was looking at a Warlock swashbuckler personally, with disguise self at will. Very cool for intrigue.

A ranger was another one I was looking into, but with a first level in rogue. Wood elf archer probably. Seems very fun to play

Daithi
2018-09-05, 08:01 PM
Warlocks with Mask of Many Faces also might be useful in an environment that requires a lot of intrigue type roll playing, and Eldritch Blast just scales really well regardless. Being able to see in the dark for the 2nd book will also be really helpful.

Edit: I just read the post above mine. lol

Foxhound438
2018-09-05, 08:47 PM
if I get to play in this (fat chance Q_Q), I would immediately break AL rules and do an eladrin swords bard. I haven't had an opportunity to play a bard yet at all, but swords just looks so fun.

Luckily we don't do AL rules usually, so it should be fine IF someone else is willing to run it.

Naanomi
2018-09-05, 08:51 PM
It would be a good opportunity for a ‘master of disguise’... Bard or Assassin perhaps.

Also, with subtly at a premium... a Gith Arcane Trickster with the perma-subtle Mage Hand could do some fun tricks. Loses some oomph in a AL rules setting though

n00b
2018-09-05, 11:24 PM
After talking things over with my DM I decided on a Duergar Warlock/Bard. At this point I've not decided on any sort of progression or archetypes. Probably more of a gish type so either Hexblade or College of Swords for one of them. The other for utility, control, and damage spells when needed.

Wolfem
2018-09-06, 09:06 AM
I currently have 3 character designs ready to go for Season 8 AL.

1.) Kenku Assassin Rogue (12)/Way of Shadow Monk (8)

2.) Half-Orc Bear Totem Barbarian (5)/Samurai Fighter (15)

3.) Variant Human Paladin (2)/Shadow Magic Sorcerer (9)/Hexblade Warlock (9)

Probably will decide on which to actually play during out first session once I see what everyone else in my group it playing.

ciarannihill
2018-09-06, 09:09 AM

See if I was playing it, instead of running it, this would make me want to play a Totem or Zealot Barbarian or something even more, just to be a disruptive element within the setting of the game. I guarantee at least one funny story would result from it assuming your character survives until the end.

Theodoxus
2018-09-06, 11:27 AM
True, and if the DM who's running this hadn't stated that anyone making a purely combat oriented character will be bored to tears, I'd do that. On top of probably not surviving, since the guards (all the way up to Blackstaff) will be on anyone who murderhobos even once.

I'd rather play within the spirit of the module the first time through. There will be plenty of options in the future to thumb my nose at the concept just to see how long I can live.

ciarannihill
2018-09-06, 12:39 PM
True, and if the DM who's running this hadn't stated that anyone making a purely combat oriented character will be bored to tears, I'd do that. On top of probably not surviving, since the guards (all the way up to Blackstaff) will be on anyone who murderhobos even once.

I'd rather play within the spirit of the module the first time through. There will be plenty of options in the future to thumb my nose at the concept just to see how long I can live.

I mean I'd just do a fish out of water type of thing. Be fascinated by this city and all of it's amenities and odd structure. "Why would you waste time paving roads?" "Why do you need coin?" "Why do you make homes of stone? Doesn't that make them hard to pack up if you need to move?" that type of thing. Really ham it up.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-09-06, 01:25 PM
I'm thinking rogue. Probably inquisitive with a dip into either cleric or sorcerer. (one of my favorite combos is assassin/trickster cleric)

Theodoxus
2018-09-06, 04:39 PM
I've decided upon a Rogue 1/Kensai x build. Figuring I can get away with a dagger (for sneak attack) and unarmored martial arts in the city. Taking Investigator background, the idea is he's a cop looking to bust some skulls, but quickly ends up way over his head and seeks out 'adventurer' types to help with the investigation.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-09-06, 06:26 PM
I've already got a Character template written out for Brakhan Enterin, the Warforged Inquisitive Rogue.

sithlordnergal
2018-09-06, 07:12 PM
I am going with a Goblin Rogue/Fighter who has the Noble background, and is from House Anteos. I may not be 100% caught up on my Faerun history, but at least according to the Wiki House Anteos is a Waterdeep Noble house. I am sure people are wondering how a Goblin is a Noble of Waterdeep...well that background involves said Goblin being kidnapped as a kid after his tribe was wiped out by "Heroic Adventurers", then raised as a prop for House Anteos to parade around as a Civilized Goblin.

As of right now, little Vieel is just a level 1 Rogue, but I fully plan for him to become a Battlemaster Fighter so that he can stand in the front lines. Due to his "training", and the fact that he was used to entertain people I gave him a 14 Charisma and expertise in Persuasion, while his Expertise in Stealth comes from his years trying to hide from any beatings he was given over the course of his "training". I maaay give him one level of Bard as well due to his experiences with entertaining guests.

Ogun
2018-09-06, 10:00 PM
With all the lying and sneaking going on, what build would be the best at seeing past the lies, knowing all the angles,and anticipating the knife to the back?
Rogue for Expertise, but what then?
Warlock seems to have the most features related to communications and
discernment.
Backgrounds will count, the one that makes perfect forgeries certainly,but the researcher one maybe more.

Maybe a body guard?
Vuman, Sheild Mastery, Fighter for Protection and Rogue for Expertise: Athletics +Perception.
Old hat, but a nice partner to have around.

rooneg
2018-09-07, 03:10 PM
Having skimmed the adventure in anticipation of running it some day (it's very cool), I'll just say that the single most important thing to keep in mind is that this is a city based intrigue oriented adventure. Do not build a combat-only PC that just sits there during exploration/investigation/role playing, because you'll be bored. You want to be able to do stuff outside of combat, you want to have characters with good social skills, you want characters who aren't going to be completely nerfed if they are walking around Waterdeep without weapons and armor (as written, it's SUPER rare to see people with weapons/armor in Waterdeep other than the watch or soldiers in the employ of a noble house, if you're walking around in Plate Armor carrying a Greatsword you will stand out in ways that are not helpful).

If I was going to play in it my martial of choice would be a Rogue, heck, if you've been dying for a chance to play an Inquisitive or Mastermind Rogue this might be their time to shine. For casters I'd way CHA based, so Warlock or Sorcerer, just so I can pick up social skills. For classes that are more traditionally combat focused I'd make sure they have some skills that can be used outside of combat.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-09-07, 05:14 PM
I'll probably end up DMing this one but ideally I'd love to play an Kenku Bard.

Rashagar
2018-09-08, 12:45 AM
Of my character concepts I'm not sure which I'll be running with yet. I'm also not sure if I should change them based on the game being more social/intrigue based than usual or not.

Current characters that may get ported over are a kenku rogue/cleric of nature, and a goliath fighter/barbarian noble. Other characters I've wanted to make are a dwarven cleric/divine soul sorcerer, and a human swashbuckling drunken master pirate with a monkey familiar (oh... I just checked the find familiar spell and it doesn't say monkey is an option... =/ ).