PDA

View Full Version : How would you support this team?

Spiritchaser
2018-09-05, 02:38 PM
My friends are both playing fighters, one a stealthy Dex TWF build, the other a rapier and board Dex tank, likely also with stealth, but not sure. Starting at level 2.

So far our Ranged Dpr will be fair from longbows, no or minimal utility casting, no healing, no AoE, fair social skills At best, no expertise in stealth, and critically: minimal controls.

So, stealth and Dex at a minimum to slink with the party, but there’s an opportunity for pass without trace or expertise in stealth to help a lot

Healing word would be great, but either healing spirit or aura of vitality for ooc top ups would be worth more.

Real ranged DPR would be important, barring that the capacity to make them better would be as good.

AoE of some description would be helpful...

Needless to say this is a very tall order, but How would you support these guys?

All published material, MC is fine

nickl_2000
2018-09-05, 02:42 PM
My humble opinion. Land Druid. You can get healing, battlefield control, ranged damage with call lightning, summons when you need it. Additionally you can cast pass without a trace and turn into a cat or bird to be super sneaky yourself.

Good choices would be Mountain for the Lightning Bolt nuke or Grassland because Haste is amazing.

Unoriginal
2018-09-05, 02:57 PM
I would go Hill Giant Soul Sorcerer.

Felvion
2018-09-05, 08:39 PM
Isn't bard an obvious option? I'm not saying it's the best one but it definetely is a very good one.
First and foremost, you gain access to lots of control and utility spells. Charisma and social skills plus potential expertise on them are just the extra sauce.
Stealth? Check.
Healing word access? Check.
Not that great ranged damage potential but still you can hold a shortbow or light crossbow with dex possibly your second best attribute. So it's not great but still not bad for sure. Of course, you can make them better through bardic inspiration.
Note here that, in my opinion, for a 3 players party, you would deal pretty good average ranged damage. All three of you would have dex as your best or second best stat and all of you can hold a decent weapon so for the low levels, at least, you are better than just ok. After low levels it's up to your paths to make a difference.
AOE potential? Check. Surely not the best in the game but you have a spell or two to cast even if you don't "waste" magical secrets for this.
Haven't been around for some time, can't recall much of the published material beyond PHB but i'm sure the Lore and Valor paths offer you everything you need.
Additionally you get jack of all trades to cover any skill that you may face.

Also, since when bard isn't synonymous to the word support in dnd?

Keravath
2018-09-05, 09:59 PM
Variant human lore bard with a two level hexblade warlock multiclass. Take resilient (con) at first level.

The bard provides healing word as well as control spells. The two level warlock multiclass gives decent ranged dpr with eldritch blast. Take agonizing blast and devil's sight for invocations. Hexblade gives medium armor, shields, charisma for attack and damage, hex and shield spell ... 18AC from level 1 more or less. Take a background giving thieves tools proficiency.

This should give you a party face and decent all round support character with good ranged dpr options and lots of utility. Lags a bit on spell progression vs pure bard.

sophontteks
2018-09-05, 10:49 PM
I agree with the druid idea. Druids cover so many bases. Land druid or shepherd druid. I'm partial to the shepherd just because they have so much cool flavor stuff.

CTurbo
2018-09-05, 11:21 PM
I think the obvious choice is to be a high Str GWM Champion Fighter in full klanky plate! :biggrin:

Nah if you want a serious answer I say go Light Cleric for master blasting but also being tough when needed too.

Bards are always good of course if you want to be the party face.

ATHATH
2018-09-06, 02:41 PM
Thirding Druid; you can get healing, stealth, battlefield control, and some utility spells from a single class. Your ranged DPR usually isn't going to be so great, but Call Lightning, Conjure Woodland Beings, and/or Polymorph (Giant Apes get a good ranged attack) can help in that department- IF you're willing to spend your concentration slot on that/them instead of battlefield control (or stealth, although needing to choose between ranged DPR and stealth shouldn't come up much).