PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Sigil Acolyte [3.5 Base Class]

gooddragon1
2018-09-05, 09:44 PM
Deleted content

Alabenson
2018-09-06, 01:42 PM
My first impression after reading the class over is that it would be near Tier-1 levels of powerful until about level 8, after which the class's potency drops rather precipitously. The main issue is that the class essentially has full access to the Cleric spell list up to 4th level spells with the same rate of progression until they just stop receiving new spell levels after level 7.
Now, the class trades medium/heavy armor proficiency, a strong Will save, one Domain, some spells per day and (most importantly) Turn Undead for 2 more skill points, full BaB and a handful of underwhelming class features, so I would say that the Cleric is still the stronger class during most of levels 1-8, but it's not by a particularly huge margin. After that, though, the class rapidly becomes less impressive as it falls farther behind the Cleric until it ends up roughly on par with the Paladin.

Overall, I'd put the class on the low end of Tier 4 overall, mostly on the strength of having even partial access to one of the Big 3 spell lists.

aimlessPolymath
2018-09-06, 02:37 PM
I would say not quite.

The Sigil idea as a modified marshall aura is pretty good, but I think it's not that interesting to use until level 4, when you have a choice to make- at low levels, you're just standing there inspirationally. The sigil of defense is also the most generally helpful out of all of them- the rest are more specialized. I'd give another sigil to start with.

Bestow Sigil is pretty neat, with moderately impactful effects, but it's still held back by the essentially poor scaling of the class. It also slightly bothers me that the sigils here aren't named similarly to those in Emanate Sigil, and that they don't seem to be connected- are they different kinds of sigils?
It's reminiscent of a cleric's ability to spontaneously cast Cure X Wounds.

One idea I just had would be to have Bestow Sigil give one of the sigils available through Emanate Sigil. The affected ally benefits from the bestowed sigil instead of the currently emanated sigil, and the effects are increased by the spell level of the spell expended.

Alabenson
2018-09-06, 04:48 PM
Definitely too strong early on then, but is the concept fun to play?

I think the concept has potential, but the main problem with the class is scaling, particularly because most of its interesting abilities really stop getting stronger after level 7. There are a few steps I think you could take to fix this, the main one being adjusting the class's spell progression. What I think would work much better for what you seem to be going for (a divine gish with a focus on buffing his allies) would be to use the spell progression for the duskblade, ideally with a more customized spell list. This would give the class a more steady progression of abilities, while a pared down spell list would give the class more focus.

Related to this, what I might also suggest would be to decouple the class's bestow sigil ability from it's spell casting. Give it a use per day limitation equal to 3 + ability mod (I'd lean towards Wis to cut down on MAD) and give both it and Emanate Sigil a steady increase in power over the course of levels 1-20. That will keep the benefits relevant at all levels while allowing the class's spellcasting at higher levels to have more uses than fueling Bestow Sigil.