PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Time - Come along with me

One Step Two
2018-09-05, 11:04 PM
I did some poking around the active threads and could not find one relating to Adventure Time, my apologies if I missed it, so I created this thread for those who might want to discuss the finale.

So, let me begin by saying, after eight years and ten seasons, a show that I never expected to be entertained by when I first heard of it, but fell in love with very quickly, has ended. I cannot begin to sum up all the different emotions that cut through me watching the final episode but I can give it my best effort at a description.

Without getting int spoiler territory for those who have not seen it, the ending was as perfect as one could ask for in the context of the show as a whole. It felt satisfying in many ways, and like all good endings, it left me wanting more, but not in a way that anything is unresolved.

It's not a happy ending, it's just the end of this arc. That in the spirit of the show, that the Adventures have not actually ended, they will go on, but for now without us being the ones to view them.

It's been one hell of a ride, and I will remember it fondly, I hope for those who watched the final Episode found it as satisfying as I did.

Razade
2018-09-06, 01:57 AM
PB and Marc's kiss was a forced plot contrivance they slammed in at the end when they should have demanded it be more central to the characters despite Cartoon Network stonewalling them. After Korra's end kiss, it doesn't feel like they're trying to push boundaries. Rather they're trying to appease the tumblr fanbase. They don't win points because they put it in, they lose points for taking this long.

As for the rest...the show really lost its way eventually. The pilot was cute, the first season or two was great but as time went on and the stories tried to build to bigger and deeper storylines post-Lich...the show just stopped appealing to me. Glad to see it ended honestly, probably ended 6 seasons later than it ought.

super dark33
2018-09-06, 02:22 AM
PB and Marc's kiss was a forced plot contrivance they slammed in at the end when they should have demanded it be more central to the characters despite Cartoon Network stonewalling them.

Did you consider that maybe the kiss WAS central to their characters? And that the creators still had to fight tooth and nail to make it happen because despite how open things may seem, studios still really dont want to add that kind of stuff to shows despite the creators wishes (like in Voltron for example).

Devonix
2018-09-06, 03:13 AM
Did you consider that maybe the kiss WAS central to their characters? And that the creators still had to fight tooth and nail to make it happen because despite how open things may seem, studios still really dont want to add that kind of stuff to shows despite the creators wishes (like in Voltron for example).

Exactly. The kiss wasn't central to the plot, it was however very very central to the characters. The entire story arc for them as a pair has been them starting out as a broken up couple, eventually becoming friends again and then getting closer and lastly becoming a couple again. They've mentioned their past multiple times.

Hell there was even a 3 part story about how a T-shirt that Marcaline gave to them when they were a couple had enough power tied up into the emotions the two had for each other that Maja was able to summon an ancient sleeper with it to try and destroy the kingdom.

We had 10 seasons of them slowly getting back together so I don't see how this could be considered forced.

super dark33
2018-09-06, 04:13 AM
If stories only had things that are central to the plot they would be very very boring.

Lurkmoar
2018-09-06, 03:06 PM
Lot of call backs. The one that stood out was Prismo and the garbage can.

Also, I really didn't need to know how Turtle Princess ended up. Really didn't need to know.

Not quite a surprise how it ended, though I would have preferred the Gum War actually happened instead of Finn uses nightmare powder to force everyone into an understanding.

Stories never end, they are merely abandoned.

Devonix
2018-09-06, 03:40 PM
Lot of call backs. The one that stood out was Prismo and the garbage can.

Also, I really didn't need to know how Turtle Princess ended up. Really didn't need to know.

Not quite a surprise how it ended, though I would have preferred the Gum War actually happened instead of Finn uses nightmare powder to force everyone into an understanding.

Stories never end, they are merely abandoned.

War has always been seen as a horrible, horrible thing in Adventure time. It would have been strange for their last episode to switch that around trying to make armies fighting something cool and fun to watch.

Lurkmoar
2018-09-06, 03:43 PM
War has always been seen as a horrible, horrible thing in Adventure time. It would have been strange for their last episode to switch that around trying to make armies fighting something cool and fun to watch.

Suppose so. Still, a Saving Private Ryan told via candy people would have been something notable.

LaZodiac
2018-09-06, 04:02 PM
I decided to watch this with basically no prior engagement with the series for a multitude of reasons.

The emotions I felt and the way they were presented to me makes me kinda wish I hadn't and just waited to watch through the entire show with a friend, begrudgingly though I probably would of been. I cannot imagine what it's like to be an actual fan of the show, having followed it entirely, and seeing it end so beautifully.

Devonix
2018-09-06, 05:32 PM
I decided to watch this with basically no prior engagement with the series for a multitude of reasons.

The emotions I felt and the way they were presented to me makes me kinda wish I hadn't and just waited to watch through the entire show with a friend, begrudgingly though I probably would of been. I cannot imagine what it's like to be an actual fan of the show, having followed it entirely, and seeing it end so beautifully.

This is what happened to me with Regular Show. I watched it when it started then fell off only catching glimpses for a few years until the final season. I had some connection but not nearly as much as someone who'd stuck with the show, and even then it was a wonderful ending.

Grim Portent
2018-09-06, 05:39 PM
It was alright, I felt a few plot threads that had been building up got wrapped up a bit too fast but in general I'm happy with how things ended.

druid91
2018-09-06, 06:08 PM
I haven't seen it. I used to watch Adventure time religiously, but kind of dropped off around the time Flame Princess became a thing and it felt more and more like the show was devolving into incessant shipping.

One Step Two
2018-09-06, 08:04 PM
My two cents about PB and Marci: It was handled much better than Legend of Korra, from the actual build up of their relationship (or as pointed out the re-connection between them), to an on-screen kiss as opposed to heavy implication and a quick post show mention from the creators. There's a lot more to it than that of course, but I am ultimately satisfied with it as an arc.

As for the other plot threads, those resolved and left floating in the wind, it might be because one of my favorite book series was the Wheel of time, which had a very similar ending, that I enjoyed that idea of it. That the story we've been given the chance to see has ended, but the world still lives on, stories and more Adventures await. While this isn't Finn settling down, getting the girl and watching the sunset, we've gotten the chance to see him grow not just as an adventurer, but as a good person.
That person is still out there having adventures, and it might not be perfectly happy, but it is good.

ben-zayb
2018-09-07, 03:28 AM
Adventure Time (along with Regular Show) had something that really tickled my fancy for some reason and quickly reeled me back in after I stopped watching animated TV series around the end of Batman Beyond and JLU. I'm guessing it's because I love D&D and this series felt to me like it really captures to me what a perfectly immersive RPG experience would be--the fun, the wonder, the character development, the conflicts, the good and bad times, the feel of the world around you and beyond, all of those and more.

I stopped watching around the time Finn got his grass hand/sword, but I occasionally try to catch up on the story by watching a few episodes here and there, mostly from the Islands and Elements miniseries but also the bit with Orgalorg, Jake's alien background, and Gumbald & Co. That said, this finale never made me feel out of the loop. The ending and the epilogue both paid respect to the show's roots and charm and by themselves pretty interesting; the former as a satisfactory closure while the latter as something that stayed true to the show's base concept without compromising the closure.

The fun will never end. Adventure Time!

What was GOLB's intention for Ooo? Its entire destruction? Sheer chaos? We know GOLB went to Mars, and the planet still survived.
If the Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant had arrived earlier, how much difference would it have made against GOLB's forces?
Did GOLB have something to do with Pep-But once again being on the path towards the dark arts after losing its memories?
Since the concept of "keeping Simon safe" apparently meant GOLB staying away from him, would that mean Simon's ultimate ending was the impossible quest of finding Betty?

Since apparently this finale has been finished a really long time ago, that somewhat similar ending with Fern / Spider-Man is kinda awesome for me.

Lurkmoar
2018-09-07, 10:22 AM
What was GOLB's intention for Ooo? Its entire destruction? Sheer chaos? We know GOLB went to Mars, and the planet still survived.
If the Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant had arrived earlier, how much difference would it have made against GOLB's forces?
Did GOLB have something to do with Pep-But once again being on the path towards the dark arts after losing its memories?
Since the concept of "keeping Simon safe" apparently meant GOLB staying away from him, would that mean Simon's ultimate ending was the impossible quest of finding Betty?

Golb seemed to be a creature of chaos, but not necessarily evil. He could be similar to Azatoth in that he's an almighty idiot. According TV Tropes, his breath gave birth to the catalyst comets, the Lich one and the Finn one.

Kinda doubt APTWE would have made too much of a difference. Unless its shotgun tusks are powerful enough to blast off giant limbs.

I don't think so. According to the nightmare that PB and Uncle Gum shared, there was a trace of the old self within, similar to Ice King and Simon.

Seeing as how Prismo was referenced again with a garbage can, it seems that anything to do with GOLB is higher end stuff on the cosmic scale. So yeah, an even more impossible task then Betty trying to cure Ice King.

Mabn
2018-09-11, 03:41 AM
Golb seemed to be a creature of chaos, but not necessarily evil. He could be similar to Azatoth in that he's an almighty idiot. According TV Tropes, his breath gave birth to the catalyst comets, the Lich one and the Finn one.

Kinda doubt APTWE would have made too much of a difference. Unless its shotgun tusks are powerful enough to blast off giant limbs.

I don't think so. According to the nightmare that PB and Uncle Gum shared, there was a trace of the old self within, similar to Ice King and Simon.

Seeing as how Prismo was referenced again with a garbage can, it seems that anything to do with GOLB is higher end stuff on the cosmic scale. So yeah, an even more impossible task then Betty trying to cure Ice King.
the couple that fought to find each other through 2 Armageddons just can't get a break. Seriously, the rest of the world really needs to get their act together so next time around life on earth can be saved without one of them sacrificing themselves and being reborn as an all powerful being of madness and sorrow for an age of the world...