PDA

View Full Version : DM Help DMs: What would you do with this adventure seed/starting point?

Jon_Dahl
2018-09-06, 06:53 AM
There's a powerful adventurers' guild in my campaign world. The lower level NPC members encounter a lost intelligent handy haversack one day, which has been laying around in the middle of nowhere for decades. They bring it to the guild house, but the problem is that the alignment of the haversack is chaotic neutral and no one in the guild leadership is able to carry it without losing a level. They make a deal with the haversack: Either it gets thrown away or the guild can choose who gets talk with it and make deals with it. It chooses the latter option.

The PCs pay a lot of money so that they can speak with the haversack. Its statistics are the following.
Handy haversack, chaotic neutral, can use cure moderate wounds (2d8+3) on wielder 3/day, has 10 ranks in Knowledge (Planes), purpose: Defeat/slay all (other than the item and the wielder), Dedicated Power: Wielder gets +2 luck bonus on attacks, saves, and checks. Value: Over 100,000 gp.

The item will want to test the PCs a lot before it agrees to commit itself to one of the PCs. The thing is the PCs' levels are 10, 10, 11 and 12, so they should work a lot before they can obtain the haversack so that their WBL don't get distorted.

Any ideas what the haversack will ask? I will use some or maybe all your ideas in conjunction with mine, since they should do a LOT of stuff. I need a lot of ideas, please.

Goaty14
2018-09-06, 07:00 AM
Wielder must brutally execute (Coup de Grace) __ enemies. It'll take them a while...

Bronk
2018-09-06, 07:22 AM
I'm thinking... It'll allow someone of any alignment to use it, as long as they never take prisoners. It'll still try to take over, or at least pipe up with some good commentary, if there's anyone particularly vulnerable around though ("Look at them, it would be so easy" that kind of thing.

Or, maybe it's bloodthirsty, but after bonding with someone, would go the 'defeat' route with those matching the user's moral alignment, and the slay option for the rest. A good user would still end up being urged to get into bar brawls with paladins, for example, but could be talked down to just sparring.

Efrate
2018-09-06, 11:27 PM
if it's defeat or slay all, questing to take out various clerics, healers, favored souls or (good) outsiders, since a lot of them have healing capabilities which conflict with it's kill em all bent. that could lead to interesting rp depending on the party.