PDA

View Full Version : Schism + Astral Seed ?

The Mole
2018-09-06, 07:42 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. My name is Frank!
I have a question about psionic powers (3.5). If i use Schism than Astral Seed and than I kill the character?
Astral Seed states that "You possess all the abilities you possessed when astral seed was manifested, at one level lower"
Do I have permanent Schism?
Thank you!

Sheogoroth
2018-09-06, 09:25 AM
mmmm, depends how the DM rules it.

It says "You possess all the abilities" not necessarily all the effects, otherwise haste, clear mind, etc. effects would be permanent.

I would probably detect the cheekiness and either remove telepathy and permanently split half of the mind to use as a villain or just make half of it fade into the aether.

Anymage
2018-09-06, 09:36 AM
If your DM lets you get away with that, he's probably embracing an "anything goes" attitude and everybody will be ridiculously powerful.

If I had to rule it RAW, I'd either say that temporary effects are not actual abilities you have, or else I'd say that "abilities" that come from spell effects intrinsically share the duration countdown, and will wear off at the same rate as the original.

blackwindbears
2018-09-06, 09:48 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. My name is Frank!
I have a question about psionic powers (3.5). If i use Schism than Astral Seed and than I kill the character?
Astral Seed states that "You possess all the abilities you possessed when astral seed was manifested, at one level lower"
Do I have permanent Schism?
Thank you!

If you have protection from evil, cast clone, and then die, do you have permanent protection from evil?

Of course not. Schism is a buff, not an ability. If you did get a lenient DM that let you take schism with you, it's still have whatever remaining duration it had when you manifested schism.

If you want permanent schism try to work with your DM to determine how to use permanency on it. Or try to build a similar psionic item.

The Mole
2018-09-06, 10:24 AM
Ok ... I know you're thinking I was trying to powerplay,... but it's not.
Anyway I like the psionic items idea.
Thank you for answering!