PDA

View Full Version : Animal (Nature) Based Spells

Malfarian
2018-09-06, 10:09 AM
Hello All,

I'm re-familiarizing myself with D&D 5th, been doing a lot of short sessions, starting to look at higher level spells and I wanted to expand some Nature themes, specifically Animal Based Spells, that is spells based off of taking Attributes from an Animal,

Spider Climb
Fish Breathing
Cheetah's Sprint
Kangaroo Hop

These could get silly quick, that last one makes me chuckle. I'd think that a spell like Spider's Climb would have been a Druid spell, but it's not.

If anyone would like to help me brainstorm, I'd love your help.

Mal

Blackbando
2018-09-06, 11:49 AM
Porcupine Quills could be fun. Maybe something like fire shield but without resistance to a type.

Armadillo/Turtle Shell could also be fun; something like mage armor but you can use your action to restrict your movement to up your AC (like Tortle's shell retreat trait).

Vogie
2018-09-06, 03:16 PM
Using the Animal Aspect spell from Pathfinder as a jumping off point, you could have:

You gain some of the beneficial qualities of an animal. Your base form is largely unchanged and your size is unaltered, but some of your body parts are altered. Armor or gear you are wearing adjusts to your new shape for the duration of the spell. When you cast animal aspect, choose one of the following animals to gain the associated benefits:

Frog Legs: Your legs become elongated and muscular. You gain a +5 to Dex (Acrobatics) checks, and your jump distance is doubled.

Gorilla's Reach: Your arms become long, flexible, and strong like those of a great ape. Your unarmed attacks have a 1d6 damage die, and you gain a +5 to strength checks while grappling or shoving a creature.

Monkey's Agility: Your hands and arms become dexterous like those of a simian. You gain a climb speed equal to your half your speed, and you can throw objects that are not weapons. These objects have a 20/60 range and a 1d4 damage die based on either strength or Dexterity

Aspect of the Otter: Your hands and feet gain webbing, and your lungs gain capacity, allowing you to move through the water with ease. You gain a Swim speed equal to half your speed, and you can hold your breath for an additional 2 minutes for each point of your Constitution modifier (minimum 1).

Raccoon Paws: Your hands become extremely dexterous, and your feet become padded. You gain a +5 bonus on Sleight of Hand, and Stealth checks.

Raptor Haunches: Your legs become built for running speed, like those of a deinonychus. Your base speed increases 20 feet.

Aspect of the Tree Lizard: Your hands and feet gain climbing claws and climbing pads. You gain a climb speed equal to your land speed, and you can take the Hide action even when only lightly obscured by trees.

Malfarian
2018-09-08, 01:48 PM
Fantastic thank you !