PDA

View Full Version : Give me your ideas for illusion-based traps!

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-06, 01:37 PM
To utilize a wide variety of skills to solve problems, I am looking to design a number of illusion-based traps, and I'm hoping for any ideas you folks may have!

The criteria is that the majority of the trap has to be hindering due to the fact that the players don't see through the illusion. Other aspects (spikes, fire, etc) may be lethal but avoidable if players can determine what aspect of the illusion is false.

A few examples:

An Indiana Jones-esc boulder that chases the team down a hallway. Down the hallway is a spike pit, illusioned to appear like normal floor. The boulder is also an illusion. The idea is that two illusions is a lot easier and more sustainable to use than one giant boulder that's going to destroy your temple every time a large rat sets off your trap. The boulder makes sound, but it doesn't damage the walls or shake the floor, so it is seen through an investigation check, or if someone is stupid enough to try and stop it.
A tunnel, with dozens of gargoyle statues on either side, has a floor clearly designed as step-switches. Upon stepping on a switch, fire erupts from several statues nearby that engulf the surrounding square. However, due to budget cuts, not every statue shoots real fire. In addition, all of the stones were designed in a way that the craftsmen could leave via designs on the plates (with symbols and such), but are illusioned to appear flat and static. The true way can be revealed via True Sight or feeling the plates for what symbol is which, which will tell which plates are actually in harms way or which ones only look threatening.
The exit to a dungeon is through a pit inhabited by a Black Ooze that's been living here for years. The easy exit is actually through the iron maiden on the wall, illusioned to only appear like it's full of spikes, but actually is a tunnel that conveniently goes around the Ooze.

Maelynn
2018-09-06, 02:20 PM
One of the trap ideas I have for my kobold gauntlet is one with a clear odourless gas that causes illusions. So one might see their arm suddenly covered in spiders, another might see a barghest up ahead ready to attack, and yet another sees a lot of blood staining their trousers from the inside. I hope to create some serious confusion with this.

DM: Fighter, you see a Barghest approach from the corridor ahead.
Fighter: I want to roll for initiative!
DM: fine, go ahead. Hey, wait, why are you guys rolling?
Player: you said 'roll for initiative'. I roll highest, I approach the Barghest!
DM: what Barghest? You see no Barghest.
Player: Euh...
DM: if I were you, I'd be more worried about the spiders crawling up your right arm.
Player: *looks down horrified*