PDA

View Full Version : Water Mage?

EndgamerAzari
2007-09-15, 01:13 AM
Hey guys, I need your combined insight once again. I'm playing in a Savage Tides campaign, and one of the regulars hasn't been showing. His character was the only really blast-y mage in the party, so one of the divine casters is thinking of re-speccing to fill that role in case he drops completely. Thing is, he's a merfolk--a variant that can walk on land, but merfolk nonetheless-- and would like to use as many water-based spells, abilities, etc as possible. So, I beseech you--what would you suggest to someone in this situation?

JaxGaret
2007-09-15, 01:33 AM
A Druid focused on Water spells could work.

There is a PrC in Stormwrack called the Wavekeeper that would work really well with a Water Druid.

Yeah, I'm gonna say a Druid/Wavekeeper is your best bet.

Quellian-dyrae
2007-09-15, 01:38 AM
I concur with druid, especially if you have the Spell Compendium, they have some good water/ocean/aquatic/etc spells. Or you could just take Energy Substitution (Acid), fluff it water, and call it a day ::shrugs::.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-15, 02:44 AM
Worshipper of Obad-Hai sorcerer with the Arcane Disciple? Water Shugenja with slight fluffy edges in his aquatically fantastic goodness? Wu Jen, with slightly fluffier edges?

Kurald Galain
2007-09-15, 04:23 AM
Sorcerer, taking only water- and weather-related spells? (Abi Dalzim's would be nasty). Wizard wouldn't work because you couldn't keep your spellbook dry :smallbiggrin:

bosssmiley
2007-09-15, 04:37 AM
Water-focused Wu-jen (Comp Arc) or Shugenja (Comp Div) perhaps? Or am I just being obvious.

Feralgeist
2007-09-15, 10:27 AM
you could always take some spells from frostburn. Ice is water.

And a wizard WOULD work, if you took eidetic spellbook. Trades your familiar and spell book for the ability to retain all your spells in your head. No paying for more pages!

its in a dragon magazine....cant remember which. fairly recent, ill try and find the number

Leon
2007-09-15, 11:05 AM
Dragon Issue 357

Quietus
2007-09-15, 04:23 PM
Guys, unless I'm mistaken, he's looking to re-spec a Merfolk Cleric into a water-based cleric/blaster of some sort. I, unfortunately, am coming up dry on ideas, but I just wanted to throw that possibility out there.

EndgamerAzari
2007-09-15, 06:19 PM
Well, he's allowed to change the class. But the thing is, the DM's a little restrictive on classes, races, and such here.... maybe I should rephrase my question: What SPELLS would you suggest he pick up? (Any kind, just throw 'em out there. And we've already got a druid.)

Drider
2007-09-15, 07:13 PM
cone of cold is core, but what other books are you allowed to pull from?

EndgamerAzari
2007-09-15, 07:21 PM
Anything, more or less.