PDA

View Full Version : 5e magic item book?

Camman1984
2018-09-06, 05:40 PM
Is there a book with additional magic items over the DMG book?

PhoenixPhyre
2018-09-06, 05:46 PM
Is there a book with additional magic items over the DMG book?
There are a few in Xanathars, and then the adventures have more.

holywhippet
2018-09-06, 06:06 PM
The items in Xanathar's are common level though - so they aren't hard to find but don't really do all that much.

You can find a list of magic items (including homebrew) on https://www.dndbeyond.com. This will list items that are in supplements but not give their details unless you pay for them.

KorvinStarmast
2018-09-06, 06:16 PM
Is there a book with additional magic items over the DMG book? There are a few additional items in the Hoard of the Dragon Queen supplement (http://dnd.wizards.com/trpghoard-dragon-queen-supplement). Free download from WoTC.

NVM, those are also in the DMG.

Each of the published adventures has some adventure-unique items.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-09-06, 06:40 PM
One thing to note is that the ones in the DMG are explicitly only examples. They're not supposed to be an exhaustive list, merely suggestive.

furby076
2018-09-06, 10:59 PM
Where does it say the dmg equipment is not exhaustive and is only suggestive? I believe you and thats how we play our game, but many people, including AL play by strict rules

Millstone85
2018-09-07, 04:34 AM
Where does it say the dmg equipment is not exhaustive and is only suggestive? I believe you and thats how we play our game, but many people, including AL play by strict rulesHere you go.
The magic items in chapter 7, "Treasure," are but a few of the magic treasures that characters can discover during their adventures. If your players are seasoned veterans and you want to surprise them, you can either modify an existing item or come up with something new.

Now, I don't know if AL allows it. They have their own rules there.

Maelynn
2018-09-07, 04:43 AM
One thing to note is that the ones in the DMG are explicitly only examples. They're not supposed to be an exhaustive list, merely suggestive.

Where does it say the dmg equipment is not exhaustive and is only suggestive? I believe you and thats how we play our game, but many people, including AL play by strict rules

On page 284 and onwards there's a whole section about "you can either modify an existing item or come up with something new". It specifically states that the ones listed are "but a few of the magic treasures". Now, I don't know how AL treats such suggestions, they might say that just because the book says you can doesn't mean you should. Because of balancing issues. Can a DM in AL create their own monsters? Their own spells? If so, then magic items should be allowed as well.

As for creating your own items, I took a snippet from the DMG saying "some scrolls, like the scroll of protection, bear an incantation that isn't a spell" (p 139). This implies that there are more scrolls that can be used by anyone who can read. I used this line to create my own version, the Scroll of Benediction. It casts Remove Curse on an object or creature touched by the person reading the scroll.

The reason I created this is because I will have the party face a lycanthrope at some point, but none of them are a class that can learn Remove Curse. By giving out this scroll as a reward a few sessions earlier, I wanted to give them the tools for a peaceful solution without it being too close together to make it obvious. Right now it's just a nice 'maybe this'll come in handy some day' reward. *smirks*