PDA

View Full Version : Ritual casting feat vs one lv wizard dip

stoutstien
2018-09-06, 06:35 PM
So other than asi vs just a single lv dip and ruling out multi classing bans which is a cheaper investment?

ProsecutorGodot
2018-09-06, 06:53 PM
this depends entirely on:
-How much do you value the cantrips you get
-How much you value the hit dice
-If you want spells of 1st level that aren't rituals
-If dipping a level into wizard sets you behind on core class features like Extra Attack

I would say that in my experience a dip into Wizard has offered more utility than taking Ritual Caster.

stoutstien
2018-09-06, 07:56 PM
On a side note if you pick up the ritual Caster feat can you copy spells that you know into the book? Without having to make a scroll first or whatever

Sigreid
2018-09-06, 08:31 PM
A one level wizard dip will let you do level one rituals. Ritual caster will let you have a chance to eventually learn all the wizard rituals. If you're looking for ritual goodness and flexibility without a heavy investment, you want the feat.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-09-06, 08:37 PM
On a side note if you pick up the ritual Caster feat can you copy spells that you know into the book? Without having to make a scroll first or whatever

No, Only spells that are recorded in written form are allowed to be scribed into the book. This doesn't necessarily mean that they need to be from Spell Scrolls, a Pact of the Tome warlocks book of shadows(with the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation) and any old wizard spellbook would function as things you could copy out of.

For example, a Cleric who has access to a number of Ritual spells through preparation would not be able to scribe them all into the ritual book to circumvent their ability to only ritual cast spells they have prepared.

A one level wizard dip will let you do level one rituals. Ritual caster will let you have a chance to eventually learn all the wizard rituals. If you're looking for ritual goodness and flexibility without a heavy investment, you want the feat.

This is absolutely true, but I would talk with your DM about whether you can expect to find higher level spells in their written forms so you can scribe them. I would definitely recommend taking Ritual Caster over a Wizard dip if you can secure the fun rituals like Tiny Hut.

It is worth noting though that the Ritual Spells above first level have somewhat limited use and there aren't actually a lot of them available. There are 12 1st level rituals spells and 21 between 2nd and 6th, a lot of the most useful ones (in my opinion) are 1st level spells.

Tanarii
2018-09-06, 10:55 PM
This is absolutely true, but I would talk with your DM about whether you can expect to find higher level spells in their written forms so you can scribe them.Thats a very important conversation to have. If your primary source of additional rituals is going to be scroll, and she rolls treasure, it can be very hard to find additional rituals for your books. You may have to go out of your way to find or purchase more.

It is worth noting though that the Ritual Spells above first level have somewhat limited use and there aren't actually a lot of them available. There are 12 1st level rituals spells and 21 between 2nd and 6th, a lot of the most useful ones (in my opinion) are 1st level spells.Wizards only get 9 additional, but all the 3rd+ ones are incredibly useful, although you need a good Int save for Contact Other Plane. But it's true Wizards (and Bards) do get a great level 1 set of rituals.

Clerics best ones are 2 (Augury), 4 (Divination), and 5 (Commune). Druids have a great level 2+ Selection as well.