PDA

View Full Version : A (Different) Magic Stone Question

Medler360
2018-09-06, 08:20 PM
I was reading Magic Stone, and it said 'Make a ranged spell attack with one of up to three pebbles you touch by throwing it or using a sling'. So that got me to the question, Can I cast magic stone on ball bearings? I know technicality they are not pebbles, but it should still be along the same lines right?

the_brazenburn
2018-09-06, 08:26 PM
If you want to and your DM gives the okay, then sure!

This rule also holds for anything else in D&D.

Vogie
2018-09-07, 10:22 AM
I was reading Magic Stone, and it said 'Make a ranged spell attack with one of up to three pebbles you touch by throwing it or using a sling'. So that got me to the question, Can I cast magic stone on ball bearings? I know technicality they are not pebbles, but it should still be along the same lines right?

By RAW, likely no, as ball bearings are significantly smaller than pebbles or rocks that are used for slings (which are usually smaller than a fist, but not much).

But I know I have no problem with it, and have ruled that this spell doesn't even need to be limited to pebbles - If someone wanted to be a Card Caster a la Gambit, then I'd point them to Magic Stone as a way to get that ability from level 1.

EDIT: I've also repurposed the spell in my Quantum Trickster Roguish Archetype, available below.

Mellack
2018-09-07, 10:58 AM
If it is just a fluff change as it seems to be, I would say go for it. Of course you have to clear it with your DM.
As an aside, ball bearings come in a wide range of sizes, from tiny up to several inches across, so you would have to choose an appropriate size one, equivalent to the stone the spell speaks of.