PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can wild shape benefit from the Tough Feat?

2D6GREATAXE
2018-09-07, 05:11 AM
I am about to DM a one shot and am usually quick relaxed about the little things.

I have a player messaging me about creating druid character and wants to know if Wildshape would gain the HP from the tough feat when it transforms. My inner rules Nazi says no, my willingness to let players have fun says yes.

What does the playground recommend?

nickl_2000
2018-09-07, 06:36 AM
It's a one shot, let them go nuts. You can always toss a few extra monster into an encounter if it happens to be to easy.

I wouldn't do it for a longer campaign though. The Moon Druid gets enough HP without it.

NinaWu
2018-09-07, 08:16 AM
Just make sure that if you do allow it that the players understand that this is not going to be an ongoing rul for longer campaigns.

Personally, I'd say no. Let them have fun in other ways such as blowing away opponents.

ciarannihill
2018-09-07, 09:01 AM
I am about to DM a one shot and am usually quick relaxed about the little things.

I have a player messaging me about creating druid character and wants to know if Wildshape would gain the HP from the tough feat when it transforms. My inner rules Nazi says no, my willingness to let players have fun says yes.

What does the playground recommend?

My impression is that RAW because the beast's HP replaces your own, that Tough would not be applied. Having said that, it's up to our prerogative -- I think it can be argued either way depending on if you think the Feat is applied to base HP and therefore doesn't carry over after the stat replacement, or if it's an independent effect that is constantly applied and therefore would apply after the replacement regardless.

tl;dr: I don't think so RAW, but it's up to you.

2D6GREATAXE
2018-09-07, 10:27 AM
My impression

tl;dr: I don't think so RAW, but it's up to you.

Yeah this was my thought.

Its gonna be a level 8 adventure.
Hmmm, I think I will allow for a one shot

Corpsecandle717
2018-09-07, 11:35 AM
Sage advice says it's not the 'intent' for toughness to apply to wild shape: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/31/does-the-tough-feat-have-an-affect-on-shifting-druid/

Toughness is a weird feat since it only actually applies at the time you level up, or initially take the feat.

Dalebert
2018-09-09, 10:50 PM
Toughness is applied per level, right? So in a creature's case, that would be their hit dice. You're probably talking about a fairly trivial hp-boost, e.g. like 4 extra hp on a dire wolf. It's hard for me to care one way or the other. I'd be inclined to allow it as I tend to favor the characters when I don't feel it's unbalancing.