PDA

View Full Version : Long Death + The Fiend

Vaklor4
2018-09-07, 08:21 AM
First off, these two abilities stack right? It says nothing about being a solo effect. Additonally would it even be worth the trouble? It essentially would give me my level + Cha + Wis in temporary health (somewhere in the ballpark of 10-11 at level 6). Im mildly new to 5th so im unsure of how good this is. My character currently has a +2 cha mod and +3 wis mod.

Unoriginal
2018-09-07, 08:26 AM
I'm pretty sure temporary HPs can't stack. I don't know this combo, though

Vogie
2018-09-07, 08:27 AM
First off, these two abilities stack right? It says nothing about being a solo effect. Additonally would it even be worth the trouble? It essentially would give me my level + Cha + Wis in temporary health (somewhere in the ballpark of 10-11 at level 6). Im mildly new to 5th so im unsure of how good this is. My character currently has a +2 cha mod and +3 wis mod.

They do not. All Temp HP from any source is a unique thing, so it will always override... you'd just have 1 set of THP, not double.

A Common issue from melee Fiendlocks is not wanting to use their first-level feature when they have armor of agathys ticking. And the power of armor of agathys is one of the reasons many warlocks won't use Fiendish Vigor.

The only time it wouldn't is the Arcane Ward from being a 2+ level Abjuration wizard - in that subclass, the Ward's points are NOT temp hit points, so you can have both actual THP as well as the Ward going simultaneously.

nickl_2000
2018-09-07, 08:30 AM
No, they wouldn't stack by RAW (rules as written) or by RAI (rules as intended). When you kill an enemy you get
Wisdom + Monk level Temp HP
AND
Charisma + Warlock level Temp HP

Temp HP never stacks, no matter where it can from. Newly gained Temp HP can replace existing temp HP, but that is it. So, in this case you would get whichever one is higher and that is all.

If you DM would allow you Wisdom + Charisma + monk level + warlock level it would be a house rule completely. I'm not sure how broken that would really be to do it, but it certainly isn't as intended.

Vaklor4
2018-09-07, 08:32 AM
Fair enough! Looks like im going for Undying/shadow monk after all :P

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-07, 11:22 AM
Fair enough! Looks like im going for Undying/shadow monk after all :P

I might also recommend Shadow Sorcerer as a replacement for one or the other.

Shadow Sorcerer+Shadow Monk means you have multiple resources for shadow teleports and Darkness.

Shadow Sorcerer + Undying Warlock means you have access to Devil's Sight and can constantly cast Darkness efficiently without needing to burn a hole through your Sorcery points, and this also gives you a solid pool of spell slots to refill your Sorcery points with. Plus, both classes are CHA based, so you won't have to spread out your main stats all too much.