PDA

View Full Version : Fire Giant creating medium weapons

Rhunder
2018-09-07, 12:24 PM
Alright, so I have a fire Giant creating weapons for medium sized creatures for no reason apparently. Help me fix that. Right now the only reason I could think of is to test making weapons in his new forge, powered by a captured red dragon and he has limited resources.

Exposition: Fire Giant was banned for reasons(I'm good on this) from his group. And his now gathering his own Hill Giant clan. But he misses his forge above all else and captured a young red dragon to create a new forge. The medium weapons will have magical effects and some will be cursed for reasons(haven't decided why yet). This is to create a new power in the region of the players to have as a potential Ally or enemy.

GlenSmash!
2018-09-07, 12:27 PM
Perhaps he is intending to make Giant sized weapons, but when he quenches them they all come out medium sized.

What is going on with his quenching barrel?

Could a plucky band of adventurers solve the mystery?

Stay tuned to find out.

Millstone85
2018-09-07, 12:29 PM
Maybe he is just making daggers, which medium creatures are using as longswords.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-09-07, 12:30 PM
Clearly this fire giant is a youtuber who makes dollhouse-sized gear as a hobby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii0C3j1ZZvk

Derpaligtr
2018-09-07, 12:40 PM
Clearly this fire giant is a youtuber who makes dollhouse-sized gear as a hobby!

I see a Rogue sneaking into a doll house and has to be careful as the giant sometimes peaks into the toy house. The giant is actually tired from workimg all day and the rogue has no place to hide so he just stands there with a couple other dolls as the giant walks by... The giant stops comes back to take a double take but the rogue is hidden somewhere else.

Some real.bugs bunny stuff.

Nifft
2018-09-07, 12:42 PM
Alright, so I have a fire Giant creating weapons for medium sized creatures for no reason apparently. Help me fix that.

"But boss, you said you wanted everything medium rare. So I made a bunch of medium magic swords, which are Rare items."

Thrudd
2018-09-07, 12:44 PM
Maybe he's making weapons for medium sized followers or allies, like a tribe of orcs or hobgoblins or whatever. Or he's going to distribute cursed weapons to some elves or humans.
He would have to be making them for medium sized people, so just figure out who they are and why.

ciarannihill
2018-09-07, 12:52 PM
Alright, so I have a fire Giant creating weapons for medium sized creatures for no reason apparently. Help me fix that. Right now the only reason I could think of is to test making weapons in his new forge, powered by a captured red dragon and he has limited resources.

Exposition: Fire Giant was banned for reasons(I'm good on this) from his group. And his now gathering his own Hill Giant clan. But he misses his forge above all else and captured a young red dragon to create a new forge. The medium weapons will have magical effects and some will be cursed for reasons(haven't decided why yet). This is to create a new power in the region of the players to have as a potential Ally or enemy.

Makes me think of the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo.

I think the idea from above about there being something magical happening during the quench or some other part of the hardening/tempering process that results in them changing is interesting. Could also be a reason for the giant to be "discarding" these failed items, creating a large-ish hoard of weaker magic items to tempt players with or maybe he has another purpose he uses them for.

I like the idea of it being unintentional, I suppose, and he could potentially become an ally to the party if they can figure out why and fix it.

Kadesh
2018-09-07, 12:56 PM
He makes magic items that change size to match their user. A Titan picks one up, excellent. It is now a house sized warhammer. A medium creature, it's the size of a croquet mallet. A tiny creature? The size of a teaspoon.

His family was around during the War with Dragonkind, and saw the possibility of using smaller races as allies against the Dragons and their own insidious cults. They are well known for creating a larger number of Fire Giant Soul Sorcerers and cultivated special relationships with other races, bestowing them gifts to help fight the war.

A local dragon has learned of/caused his banishment and now seeks to prey on the Giant, attempting to keep his own 'cultists' and agents happy, by being able to gift them weaponry.

Unoriginal
2018-09-07, 01:05 PM
He needed help from a medium-sized mercenary to track down the dragon, and the weapons are the mercenary's salary.

Ganymede
2018-09-07, 01:07 PM
The fire giant is a hobbyist and loves working with scale miniatures. That's why he makes human sized equipment.

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-07, 01:55 PM
Cursed by a wizard, who the Giant insulted for be a "weak, pathetic small-thing with a stupid hat!"

The Wizard was prideful while having the power to back it up. He wasn't going to end the giant's life, only ruin it!

Now every weapon the Giant makes is forged into a weapon for smaller, "lesser" beings.

The Giant thinks that if he just crafts more weapons, eventually the curse will weaken, but it has not yet. That was many years ago. His other giants have cast him out for "helping" the small-things, but he is determined to break this curse and so continues to make more.

Rhunder
2018-09-07, 02:17 PM
I originally intended this guy to be a terrifying Fire giant(with the stern military background) leading an army of morons(hill Giants). They exhauste his patience and make him a hot head. But I really like the doll thing for no other reason than to watch my players run through dollhouse terrified.