PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Antagonist for my party: Help me create a Duelist

Lisselys
2018-09-07, 01:54 PM
Hello everyone!
I usually post builds I need to refine for my characters, but this time I need serious help for an antagonist! My party, still forming so I have little to no details about their characters, is going to start a new adventure and I'm gonna DM for them. As a nice antagonist I fiddled around the idea of a perfect duelist.
As of now my build is centered around parrying and riposting, not attacking even once but simply defending against incoming attacks and counterattacking, hoping to help my players get the idea of how to surpass an enemy without just rolling d20s.
The build is pretty easy as it stands, working since level 1. Here it is:
Elf with long limbed alternate racial trait; Fencer (+1 to attacks of opportunity with bladed weapons) and one of the +2 initiative traits
20 point buy: Strength 7; Dexterity 20; Constitution 10; Intelligence 16; Wisdom 10; Charisma 10
I already applied racial modifiers
Swashbuckler 1 (Inspired blade variant)/Brawler 1/Swashbuckler 2-5/Duelist 10/???
I use brawler for improved unarmed strike, can still swap it for something else if need arises
Feats:
1 Fencing grace (Lets me add Dex to damage as long as I don't wield anything in my offhand, and since I have the panache class feature I add +2 to disarm attempts as long as I have 1 panache point)
3 Dodge
5 Mobility
5 (Bonus) Crane Style (Lowers penalty for fighting defensively to -2, adds +1 dodge bonus to ac)
7 Crane Wing +4 dodge bonus to ac against melee attacks, if using total defense i can deflect an attack entirely
9 Crane Riposte Penalty for fighting defensively is lowered to -1, and whenever i deflect an attack with crane wing or lose the dodge bonus from it i can riposte with an attack of opportunity
10 Combat reflexes (This comes online VERY late, but the build was originally suited for an higher level fighter in my old party)

I need some criticism and a good share of help for how to counter magical attacks; magic items are ok, but feats/abilities/classlevels would be equally good.
The point of the character is to be able to dodge/deflect every attack, possibly even magic ones. By starting Swashbuckler he can do that from level 1 (Not actually required but useful if one of my players like the build and want to try it out sometime later)
Feel free to suggest Feats, build changes or races you think would fit in the description of this duelist. Magic is not ruled out, so if a magic user can do it better... Feel free to suggest it to me!
For any questions ask away, hope you can help!

Thealtruistorc
2018-09-07, 06:44 PM
Is he going to be fighting solo? What other resources does he have at his disposal as far as allies?

Also, are you allowing 3pp? Spheres of Might and Path of War both have numerous options for defensive characters which I think would prove more functional than a swashbuckler/duelist chassis.

Lotheb
2018-09-07, 07:33 PM
Cut from the air and smash from the air (feats) let you parry ranged attacks including ranged spell attacks and thrown boulders, though they require Str 13 and power attack, and either Martial Focus or enough levels in fighter to get Weapon Training.

Lisselys
2018-09-08, 04:23 AM
Is he going to be fighting solo? What other resources does he have at his disposal as far as allies?

Also, are you allowing 3pp? Spheres of Might and Path of War both have numerous options for defensive characters which I think would prove more functional than a swashbuckler/duelist chassis.

He is probably going to fight solo, in critical situations. That means he will fight whenever the party needs to grab something he snatched (Like a pendant) or just run past him. So, to answer, I'd love if he could fight solo, but if an ally can help him why not. He can get all the resources a typical PC could get, maybe something more if it's thematically fit for the character (Eg. A magic item that let's him deflect rays with his sword)
I'm not really familiar with both the systems but if it gives better options why not. I just don't know where to start looking.

Cut from the air and smash from the air (feats) let you parry ranged attacks including ranged spell attacks and thrown boulders, though they require Str 13 and power attack, and either Martial Focus or enough levels in fighter to get Weapon Training.
Those are really good feats. I can drop dex to 16 base to let him get the required Strenght and therefore swap piranha attack for power attack. Even tho I find strange that a usually dex concept (Swift and concentrated swordsman) goes on strenght.
As for magic items?

Also, how well do you think this character would fight in a typical pc vs enemy scenario? Is he just going to get stomped upon?

Thealtruistorc
2018-09-08, 07:04 AM
Also, how well do you think this character would fight in a typical pc vs enemy scenario? Is he just going to get stomped upon?

Not well. The players will likely gang up on him, and he will be powerless after his first parry.

I would go for a Zweihander Sentiel Warder or Vanguard Commander Warlord, as both are able to use extra immediate actions a certain number of times per day. Iron Tortoise, Shattered Mirror, Scarlet Throne, and Cursed Razor are your go-to disciplines, enabling you to fend off a variety of attacks while still striking back with counters. Consider the Landsknecht prestige class for more defensive options as well as the ability to hit people multiple times with attacks of opportunity if they strike at you. If you want to go all the way, go mythic and exploit spells like borrowed time and various champion abilities to break the action economy completely.

That said, you should still be using your standard action every round. Strikes are useful.