PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Amulet of Health + Manual of Gainful Exercise

InterstellarPro
2018-09-07, 06:16 PM
An amulet of health sets your Constitution to 19. A Manual of Gainful Exercise gives you a +2 to Constitution. If you attune to the amulet and read the book, do you have a 21 Con?

PhantomSoul
2018-09-07, 06:26 PM
Only if you had a 19 without the Amulet of Health (in which case it had no effect); it isn't that your Ability Score increases to 19 by wearing the Amulet, it's that your Ability Score is set to 19 while you wear the Amulet (so long as your Constitution isn't already 19 or higher).

leogobsin
2018-09-07, 06:28 PM
I believe the intent is that while attuned to items that set an attribute to a certain value, effects that change that attribute affect your score without the item. So if you had say, 12 Con without the Amulet using the Manual of Gainful Exercise would make your Con 14 without the Amulet, still only 19 with.

Unoriginal
Only if you had a 19 without the Amulet of Health (in which case it had no effect); it isn't that your Ability Score increases to 19 by wearing the Amulet, it's that your Ability Score is set to 19 while you wear the Amulet (so long as your Constitution isn't already 19 or higher).

This is correct.

ProsecutorGodot
just noting that you've mixed up the Manual of Gainful Excerise (which gives you strength) with the Manual of Bodily Health.

Also no, your con score is 19 while you wear the amulet period. Raising it above 19 gives it no effect and the book adjusts your base score, not any adjusted score.

InterstellarPro
2018-09-07, 06:47 PM

Excellent. My player will not be pleased, but that sounds more balancing.

just noting that you've mixed up the Manual of Gainful Excerise (which gives you strength) with the Manual of Bodily Health.

Also no, your con score is 19 while you wear the amulet period. Raising it above 19 gives it no effect and the book adjusts your base score, not any adjusted score.

Oops! Yes, that's what I mean.

Sigreid
2018-09-07, 06:52 PM
Excellent. My player will not be pleased, but that sounds more balancing.

All is not lost for him. He can re-use it once per century. Why in a few thousand years he can have a con of 30!