PDA

View Full Version : My Axes of GMing.

SangoProduction
2018-09-07, 11:25 PM
There are some Axes and Scales of gameplay and GMing style that I've identified (with the help of some nice people (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?563010-The-axises-of-GMing)), and present my own place on said axes as a means of quickly referencing my own style for future use. The specifics will vary from game to game, but these are my general positions.

On the the Lighthearted/Gloom axis, I lean toward Lightheartedness, and will frequently apply rule of cool when the PCs come up with a good/funny/interesting idea....or ideas that will horribly murder them. Those are fun.

On the Rails/Open-World axis, I actually lean on the Rails side up until the players actually interact with the world and make choices of their own. If no one's going to take initiative, the game still has to go on after all, or else everyone gets bored, and a strong through-line provides an anchor on which everyone can play.

With the Improv/Prep axis, I am heavily on the side of Improv. I am at home when I'm working with and around my players. Things tend to end fairly quickly when I have to keep dragging the players around the place and to the next plot point. I prepare general outlines of the adventures, as well as enemy encounters, leaving plenty of room for player involvement and self-direction.

On the lethality scale, I tend to basically be at about 10/100. You probably won't die unless you basically intend to die, or you were given pretty good warning of the lethality of the fight. (Even then, you will probably be captured instead.) Or you roll five 1s in a row. Then god has spoken and said he hates your guts.

For Realism/Gameplay, I say "**** Realism". I don't care if it's not 'realistic' that a giant lizard (that's a couple ten thousand kilos) can fly on tiny wings. If you can adequately justify what you are doing, go right on ahead. And, I swear to god, Bob, if you mention fluid dynamics one more time....!

As for Magic Rarity: It's not uncommon, but it's not something everyone and their mother's dog-bats can do without effort. Villagers do tend to have access to some of the more generally useful low-level "utility" spells like Continual Flame and Unseen Servant. (If not personally, then by knowing someone who can.) Magic Items, especially the less spectacular ones, you probably won't have a hard time finding. This is unlikely to change much unless I make it explicit.

Literal vs Freeform rules: I tend toward freeform, in case you can't tell. There will be a strong backbone of the RAW, but I reserve every right to say that the Monks probably should have proficiency with unarmed strikes, and the like. Afterall, it is rules as written that the GM can make the rules. If you're here to rules lawyer (which is different from simply being helpful and knowing the rules), you're in the wrong game.

Quertus
2018-09-08, 07:36 PM
There are some Axes and Scales of gameplay and GMing style that I've identified (with the help of some nice people (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?563010-The-axises-of-GMing)), and present my own place on said axes as a means of quickly referencing my own style for future use. The specifics will vary from game to game, but these are my general positions.

On the the Lighthearted/Gloom axis, I lean toward Lightheartedness, and will frequently apply rule of cool when the PCs come up with a good/funny/interesting idea....or ideas that will horribly murder them. Those are fun.

On the Rails/Open-World axis, I actually lean on the Rails side up until the players actually interact with the world and make choices of their own. If no one's going to take initiative, the game still has to go on after all, or else everyone gets bored, and a strong through-line provides an anchor on which everyone can play.

With the Improv/Prep axis, I am heavily on the side of Improv. I am at home when I'm working with and around my players. Things tend to end fairly quickly when I have to keep dragging the players around the place and to the next plot point. I prepare general outlines of the adventures, as well as enemy encounters, leaving plenty of room for player involvement and self-direction.

On the lethality scale, I tend to basically be at about 10/100. You probably won't die unless you basically intend to die, or you were given pretty good warning of the lethality of the fight. (Even then, you will probably be captured instead.) Or you roll five 1s in a row. Then god has spoken and said he hates your guts.

For Realism/Gameplay, I say "**** Realism". I don't care if it's not 'realistic' that a giant lizard (that's a couple ten thousand kilos) can fly on tiny wings. If you can adequately justify what you are doing, go right on ahead. And, I swear to god, Bob, if you mention fluid dynamics one more time....!

As for Magic Rarity: It's not uncommon, but it's not something everyone and their mother's dog-bats can do without effort. Villagers do tend to have access to some of the more generally useful low-level "utility" spells like Continual Flame and Unseen Servant. (If not personally, then by knowing someone who can.) Magic Items, especially the less spectacular ones, you probably won't have a hard time finding. This is unlikely to change much unless I make it explicit.

Literal vs Freeform rules: I tend toward freeform, in case you can't tell. There will be a strong backbone of the RAW, but I reserve every right to say that the Monks probably should have proficiency with unarmed strikes, and the like. After all, it is rules as written that the GM can make the rules. If you're here to rules lawyer (which is different from simply being helpful and knowing the rules), you're in the wrong game.

It's funny how this says so much, yet tells me very little of what I'd want to know.

How internally consistent are your games (admittedly, given your preference for gameplay over realism, improv over planning, and "rule of cool", one could probably infer "not very")? What range of scale are you comfortable operating at (dungeon crawl, kingdom management, world domination, etc)? What range of power levels are you comfortable with (zero to hero to demigod to swatting gods before breakfast)? What size of power disparity within the party are you comfortable with? How well do you distinguish between "optimization", "power" and "contribution", and which one(s) do you care about? What is your response to inter-party or inter-player conflict? Are you CaW or CaS? Do you deal with imbalance with a Nerf bat, boosts, or a shrug? Do you foster a focus on the adventure? The PCs? NPC interactions? What responsibilities do you share the players (Defining rules lawyering as different from being helpful and knowing the rules tells be a good bit, I think. :smallwink:)?

Admittedly, I usually ask these (and other similar) questions indirectly, by describing a character I'm thinking about playing, and having a discussion that starts with their (mostly the GM's, but also the other players') response to that character proposal. But these are more the types of questions I prefer to have answered.

-----

For myself, I shrug at Lighthearted/Gloom, lean too heavily into the sandbox (although the world is doing plenty of stuff, so you're welcome to imagine some rails, if you'd like), prefer Prep but can improv as needed, am 99% as lethal as whatever the players choose to get into*, am dumb enough to favor realism over gameplay, thinks "magic rarity" equates to muggle hatred, and favor Rules as Intended and gameplay over the otherwise Trump of RAW.

* I strongly favor, when a player declares that their PC does something dumb, the assumption that i failed to explain the situation correctly, or failed to understand them correctly, and give them the opportunity to understand the scenario, change or explain their action, etc. Also, unlike certain Elder Scrolls mods, I try to make sure that the PCs at least start the game in a survivable location. But if they choose to pursue a TPK, that's on them. And my random encounter tables are the same if you're level 1 or level 20.

-----

So, are either of those responses consistent with what you wanted out of this thread?

SangoProduction
2018-09-09, 10:55 AM
I made the thread mostly so I could link to it in my game listings so that potential players would know my style.

EldritchWeaver
2018-09-09, 02:27 PM
Any reason why you post in this forum? It doesn't seem the correct one for this purpose.

SangoProduction
2018-09-09, 03:52 PM
Any reason why you post in this forum? It doesn't seem the correct one for this purpose.

Nope. Just kinda hoping this sinks to the bottom, and everyone forgets that it's been posted.

ezekielraiden
2018-09-09, 06:41 PM
I hope I'm not the only person who saw this thread and thought about physical axes, as in the plural of axe.

Peat
2018-09-09, 07:19 PM
I hope I'm not the only person who saw this thread and thought about physical axes, as in the plural of axe.

Nope. I for one vote for the GM that brings axes to the table. Will definitely cut down on the amount of time spent on OOC nonsense.

Saintheart
2018-09-09, 09:56 PM

Speak for yourself, I came in here expecting to see electric guitars and Joe Satriani.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-09-09, 10:09 PM
Nope. I for one vote for the GM that brings axes to the table. Will definitely cut down on the amount of time spent on OOC nonsense.
https://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20080219.gif (https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2008-02-19)

Deophaun
2018-09-09, 11:21 PM
Without a suppressor I don't think it's going to be very quiet.