PDA

View Full Version : Can a Simulacrum be turned undead?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-09-08, 12:38 AM
My theory is no but I'm curious thanks to that line that the Simulacrum can take actions and otherwise be affected as a normal creature....but then again its an illusion...

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Simulacrum#content

leogobsin
2018-09-08, 12:43 AM
I'm fairly certain just about every method of turning a creature into an undead requires it to drop to 0 HP, and a Simulacrum reverts to snow and melts when it hits 0 HP, so the answer is going to generally be no.

Arathryth
2018-09-08, 12:53 AM
My theory is no but I'm curious thanks to that line that the Simulacrum can take actions and otherwise be affected as a normal creature....but then again its an illusion...

The spell is from the Illusion school, yes. But the creature created by it is more of an animated construct, really.

Kadesh
2018-09-08, 02:59 AM
If it is a Simulacrum of an Undead creature, yes. If it is not, no.

JackPhoenix
2018-09-08, 05:45 AM
If it is a Simulacrum of an Undead creature, yes. If it is not, no.

There's no such thing. Only valid targets for Simulacrum are humanoids and beasts.

Kadesh
2018-09-08, 05:50 AM
There's no such thing. Only valid targets for Simulacrum are humanoids and beasts.

Precisely.

No brains
2018-09-08, 06:22 AM
One could make a simulacrum of a UA revenant. It could be a decent choice because the spell doesn't end when the simulacrum is reduced to 0 hp and it can form a new body.

Ganymede
2018-09-08, 07:31 PM
One could make a simulacrum of a UA revenant. It could be a decent choice because the spell doesn't end when the simulacrum is reduced to 0 hp and it can form a new body.

And that's the kind of quality playtesting we get from UA material.

No brains
2018-09-08, 08:00 PM
And that's the kind of quality playtesting we get from UA material.

Theoretically this is a (/one of many, many) issue(s) with simulacrum rather than the UA revenant. This type of thing could theoretically apply to a lich as well; preparing a lich transformation and then having the simulacrum go through with it. It gets a little hazy whether the sim can change types or if the transformation only really happens after death. Then again, if a DM wants pull this kind of BS they can make a BBEG as annoyingly unkillable as Naraku. :smallyuk: