PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Long Casting Time spells when reduced to a single action?

magicalmagicman
2018-09-08, 01:38 AM
The "start full-round action" standard action lets you start undertaking a full-round action, which you can complete in the following round by using another standard action. You can’t use this action to start or complete a full attack, charge, run, or withdraw.

So a full-round action can be split into two standard actions, one standard action in your current round and one standard action in your next round.

A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act normally after the spell is completed.

A spell that takes 1 minute to cast comes into effect just before your turn 1 minute later (and for each of those 10 rounds, you are casting a spell as a full-round action). These actions must be consecutive and uninterrupted, or the spell automatically fails.

A 1minute casting time spell is 10 consecutive full round actions.

Does this mean a zombie can cast a spell of casting time 1 minute by spending twice as much time? So instead of 10 consecutive full round actions, it's 20 consecutive standard actions of start/complete full-round actions.

Or is it impossible because 20 rounds of standard actions is 20 rounds of casting not 10 rounds of casting?

Silva Stormrage
2018-09-08, 05:14 AM
Hm, not sure actually. I would say it seems sound enough to let the zombie cast the spell with twice the cast time. Not sure on the RAW but I would allow it as a DM.

How are you giving a zombie the ability to cast spells in the first place though? Spell stitched pops to mind but those are all SLA's and thus have their cast time reduced to a standard action or less regardless.

magicalmagicman
2018-09-08, 05:25 AM
Zombie was just an example. This question also applies to slowed creatures, Rasts and Ravids that cannot fly, etc.

ericgrau
2018-09-09, 02:05 PM
Hmm I don't see a clear answer in the SRD. The first question is can such a creature cast a full round action casting time spell and the answer is yes. The rule you stated is given for that purpose and it's not on the list of excluded situations. Even though the action to cast a spell is in that same section. So I think RAI is that it is possible some way, it's just not 100% clear how. Taking 2 minutes instead of 1 minute to cast the spell seems like a reasonable solution and probably the original intent too. Just something they overlooked.