PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Eberron Mark of Making - What Character would you build?

Wasp
2018-09-08, 03:16 AM
Hi everyone!

I was looking at the Dragonmarked Houses in the Eberron Playtest material and I got quite interested in House Cannith's Mark of Making. It feels like the ability to create a magic item each long rest that lets you cast a wizard cantrip of your choosing could be quite useful for certain characters.

My thought was this could work very well for an Arcane Trickster type Rogue (especially with the +1/+2 or +2/+1 for DEX/INT) - but what would you do with the Mark of Making?

Cheers

Wasp

Rixitichil
2018-09-08, 01:27 PM
I quite like Knowledge Cleric.
Use your channel divinity to temporarily know how to use whatever set of tools you need at any moment. Dragonmark kicks in to make it even better.
Cantrips you have a degree of flexibility, but I'd be looking at the utility ones, or the melee weapon cantrips from SCAG.

Ganymede
2018-09-08, 02:15 PM
It sounds perfect for my wizard school drop-out barbarian. It'd give her just an extra touch of spellcasting.

Asmotherion
2018-09-08, 02:18 PM
A Conjuration Wizard, giving them more versality to the things they make appear out of thin Air.

A Sorcerer of any origin; Goes well with their Trope, justifying things they make appear as part of their:

Divine Magic ("I make a lesser miracle manifest with my power")
Shadow Magic (Conjuring Shadows to manifest as things, or "stich" things together)
Dragonic Magic ("My will alone changes the cosmos around me, because I'm part dragon, and I'm magical like that")
OR Chaos Magic ("I believed this had a high probability of happening, so it happened against all odds").

Goes less well with Storm Magic thematically, but hey, you're still a Sorcerer, and you can work a theme for it.

Wasp
2018-09-09, 04:47 AM
Intersting ideas. I hope the Artificer will also open up some fun interactions.

Thunderbird
2018-09-09, 05:46 AM
I would probably make a Forge Domain cleric, even if the stats don't line up that good. It feels fitting, and I can get my hands on Booming Blade/Green-flame Blade without a feat or multiclassing.

Wasp
2018-09-10, 05:59 PM
Thematically the Forge Cleric is great but I don't know if the abilities align very well. Feels a bit like an Aasimar Paladin / Favored Soul, thematically great, mechanics wise not optimal... :smallsmile:

Ogun
2018-09-10, 11:31 PM
I'll take a plus to my sheild and another to my armor, thank you very much.
How much Int is actually needed to use Mark of Making?
Most of the Cantrips I would take don't have saves, targeting or even attack rolls.
I would clear brush with Sword Burst, dig a hole with Move Earth,and make charcoal in it with Control Flame.
Now, add Ritual Caster: Wizard for Find Familiar and Invisible Servant and you have minions.
Animate Dead will help later on, skeletons in hard hats anyone?
Now if only I could get ahold of 3.5 style Runes...

Wasp
2018-09-13, 12:06 PM
You are right, you are right. The more I think of it the better it sounds as a concept. Very MacGuyvery. The Wandslinger concept could fit that as well.