PDA

View Full Version : Any good YouTube channels on running games?

LilacAggression
2018-09-09, 04:18 AM
Per the title. I'm interested in vids that will help me run games better, as I'm just starting out running for my daughter. I've been watching Matt Colville, and he's good. The only catch is that it can't be something relying on being able to watch or differentiate voices (I listen while I do other things), so things like Critical Role, while probably good, aren't what I need.

Anonymouswizard
2018-09-09, 05:34 AM
Yes and no.

There's quite a lot of videos or there in being able to run games, with the catch being that they're all promoting a certain style. Videos by, f.ex., Matt Mercer will differ significantly in advice compared to those by Noah Antwiler, and both are completely valid.

There's also different areas to focus on. Plot development, encounter design, homebrew design, how you present to players, keeping the game moving, and more. So it would be somewhat helpful if you could give more specific information.

LilacAggression
2018-09-09, 06:27 AM
Sure. So her favourite show at the moment is Legend of Korra, so she's really enjoying the interesting characters, and the feeling that there's a lot going on in the world, and a rich history. This also happens to be the kind of game I enjoy most.

So I'm interested in getting the hang of running a game where it feels like there's things going on behind the scenes, there's bits of history to pick up, interesting characters to meet, and opportunities to get involved in politics and other things (if she shows interest). Very much a "several irons in the fire" kind of game.

I do also need pointers on building encounters to a degree. Both mechanically (I've played quite a bit, but only run a few sessions of 5e), and actually making them interesting. World building, as we're using FR right now, but I'd like to do home brew next campaign. At least some DM basics might be good.

Tanarii
2018-09-09, 10:02 AM
Kinda. They're pretty much all like Colville and Mercer. Pay close attention to what they say and do, and then don't do that at all. Also make sure to look up the actual rules, instead of the ones they made up.

If you do that, you'll run an engrossing game that your players will love.

For kids, just buy Hero Kids.

Koo Rehtorb
2018-09-09, 12:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpHN-sm__o0&list=PLAmPx8nWedFVGdrP2JmcYzdvZC8sWV5b4

comk59
2018-09-09, 04:49 PM
Per the title. I'm interested in vids that will help me run games better, as I'm just starting out running for my daughter. I've been watching Matt Colville, and he's good. The only catch is that it can't be something relying on being able to watch or differentiate voices (I listen while I do other things), so things like Critical Role, while probably good, aren't what I need.

Well, I'm a huge fan of Puffin Forest. But that being said, I'm not sure he's the best guy to get GM advice from. His RPG stories are still a pretty good way of driving home the point that Players will "ruin" any plan that they come into contact with though. But you know, in a fun way.

DMThac0
2018-09-11, 09:20 AM
I have looked through, skimmed over, and watched numerous different youtube videos on D&D how to's. I'm planning on putting together my own series in the near future so I wanted to see the different formats and information out there that people were presenting. In no particular order these are the channels I've visited and found interesting in their own respects:

Nerdarchy, Matthew Coleville, How to be a Great Game Master, Taking20, and D&DJared

I enjoyed watching gameplay videos from Aquisitions Inc and Critical Role

SirBellias
2018-09-11, 01:30 PM
This is the only one I've watched in part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw17SbxcXrE&list=PLuGFF6RJgaMrlxVxEB7XsBerrIFgnqZIa

What I like is that there's only 2 people going back and forth discussing their roles, and they've run some of the better games I've seen on YouTube with normal people. Adam's solo channel was already linked up-thread, but Steven has some good points to be made as well.

terodil
2018-09-11, 02:59 PM
Nerdarchy, Matthew Coleville, How to be a Great Game Master, Taking20, and D&DJared

How to be a Great Game Master

I'd like to second this. I've just been on a youtube-how-to-GM-binge and really liked this aptly named series. If you're looking for some kind of podcast-type stuff, this is it. He can be a bit wordy at times but... his accent... that accent... where were we? Oh and he is quite funny too. He has several series, one for GMs, one for RPers and one for general ruminations.

Anonymouswizard
2018-09-11, 03:28 PM
I'm going to recommend digging out Noah Antwiler's DMing focused Counter Monkey videos as well, just because he tends to have a different style than the 'popular' GMs. Be warned that he's very much somebody who grew up with 2nd edition and doesn't like these newfangled 'Death Saving Throws' or 'point buys'. The only ones I can remember off the top of my head are Dungeon Mastering a Great Game, Circle Strafe (a great video about 'have intelligent creatures use tactics related to their abilities, focusing on dragons but pointing out it also applies to other creatures, like hobgoblins), and The Dungeon Master's Secret Weapon (a.k.a. how to get players to go where you want).

GunDragon
2018-09-16, 05:19 PM
I have been watching YouTube videos about D&D for years, and have had a lot of fun.
These are the D&D YouTube Channels that I recommend:
Esper the Bard: He has interesting and funny reviews of the various D&D editions, and seems to focus a lot on storytelling. His Top 10 Monster Lists are also quite legendary.
XP to Level 3: A newer channel that is completely focused on 5th edition D&D. Some funny jokes in there.
Web DM: Two guys that talk about a variety of topics concerning D&D, such as alignment. But everyone talks about alignment at some point, right?
Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies: Two guys who make a series of very short videos about D&D.
Puffin Forest: The most hilarious channel ever. Includes a lot of stories about D&D as well as other types of tabletop games. And his videos are animated.
ProJared: This guy seems to have a lot of experience with D&D and devotes the entire month of December to D&D. It is called "D&December"
D6Damage: He talks a lot about the classes of Pathfinder.
Mann Shorts: They have a series of funny videos about playing D&D.
Nerdarchy: They have longer videos that are very informative about D&D
The Arcane Forge: His videos are great to have going on in the background. He also does drawings of D&D monsters while talking about them. It's very interesting.
Seth Sarkowski: A great channel for teaching new Dungeonmasters the ropes.
Jorphdan: He talks mainly about campaign settings in great detail, such as Forgotten Realms and Eberron.
TtheWriter: He has some pretty great stories about D&D that I find very inspiring.

I do not recommend DawnForgedCast

LilacAggression
2018-09-20, 08:53 PM
Excellent, thanks everyone. This lot is going to keep me busy for quite a while.

SunderedWorldDM
2018-09-25, 07:38 AM
No one's mentioned one of my favorites!:smallfrown:

Runehammer, previously Drunkens and Dragons, is getting a bit ecclectic in current content, but go back a year or two and you'll get the good stuff. He focuses on how to streamline the game and make it feel epic without having too much crunch. It's not for everybody, certainly not for me, but the way he approaches gaming is interesting, and at least worth a look.