PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Kineticist blast

Scottlang
2018-09-09, 07:00 AM
Looking at the Kineticists blast;
one is a physical blast one is an energy blast.
The hydrokineticist's hydroblast is bludgeoning damage so woudl not pass certain DR but how would the energy blast be viewed??

Would it it be conidered more force damage?? So if I came across a incorporial creature would I be able to do normal damage? and woudl it also bypass some normal damage redictions; ie zmbie for instance; my normal hydroblast would not do full damage could I then switch over to my energy wich does less damage but works similar to scorching ray?

Cyrocloud
2018-09-09, 08:38 AM
I am not 100% on what it is that your are asking. A kineticist at level one picks its element and one of the simple blasts offered. When they get the option to pick another elements they either pick the same element and receive the other offered simple blast or one of the one's offered by a different element.

Energy blasts have to go through any appropriate energy resistance, and physical blasts are affected by damage resistance, though it is considered magic so it goes through dr/magic. Both are considered magic so they do half damage to incorporeal creatures. If Aether is picked twice you can do a composite blast that does force damage, but it does the same damage as a simple blast, so roughly half the damage of other composite blasts.

Scottlang
2018-09-09, 08:42 AM
Thank you; you answered exactly what I was asking.

KillianHawkeye
2018-09-09, 09:38 PM
I just want to add something that I'm not sure you're understanding based on your original question.

A Kineticist doesn't have a physical blast and an energy blast. They choose a simple kinetic blast associated with their element, and that's either a physical one or an energy one depending on what the individual blast states. So for a hydrokineticist, you can choose Water Blast which is physical or Cold Blast which is energy. And you only have one or the other unless you double down on water with Expanded Element to get the one you missed originally.

You can't use Water Blast as an energy blast, or Cold Blast as a physical blast. Water Blast always deals physical bludgeoning damage, and Cold Blast always deals cold energy damage. Neither one does force damage.

Whichever blast you choose at level 1 is the one you're stuck with until you get Expanded Element, at which point you get to choose a simple blast from your new element or get the other simple blast from your original element, as well as whatever composite blasts you qualify for (based on the combination of your simple blasts). So for a hydrokineticist whose Expanded Element is also water, you automatically get Ice Blast as a composite blast, which counts as a physical blast but deals damage that's half physical (piercing) and half energy (cold).

Some elements don't even have both options, like if your element is fire then all your blast options are energy-based unless you combine it with a different element that adds a physical option.