PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph a polymorphed creature

NaughtyTiger
2018-09-09, 09:30 AM
I am sure it is been discussed, but my google fu is weak today.

I polymorph my ally Fred into a Giant Ape.
Bad guy polymorphs the Giant Ape into a fish.

Bad Orc kills fish.

"If it reverts as a result of Dropping to 0 Hit Points, any excess damage carries over to its normal form."

so does its normal form mean: actual normal form (Fred), or the previous form (aka Giant Ape)

JackPhoenix
2018-09-09, 09:46 AM
Same spell effects don't stack. The first Polymorph would end when the target gets affected by the second.

NaughtyTiger
2018-09-09, 10:02 AM
Same spell effects don't stack. The first Polymorph would end when the target gets affected by the second.

duh! thanks. i resisted targeting players cuz i didn't want to wrap my head around that....

Camman1984
2018-09-09, 10:08 AM
just polymorph his ally into a banana and watch the ape skin him and eat him alive :)

Tanarii
2018-09-09, 10:19 AM
duh! thanks. i resisted targeting players cuz i didn't want to wrap my head around that....
Targeting players with an offensive buff spell isn't the best use of it anyway.

Edit: with a 1/2 second further thought, using it as a pseudo-dispel magic of their offensive buff could well be worth it.

Lunali
2018-09-09, 12:21 PM
Targeting players with an offensive buff spell isn't the best use of it anyway.

Edit: with a 1/2 second further thought, using it as a pseudo-dispel magic of their offensive buff could well be worth it.

Used on a hostile target, polymorph is usually crowd control. Fish is a poor choice for this though as poly will usually break on its own, personally a fan of things like snails that are pretty helpless and unable to commit suicide. (depending on how the DM treats mental functions of polymorphed creatures)

ATHATH
2018-09-09, 08:25 PM
Used on a hostile target, polymorph is usually crowd control. Fish is a poor choice for this though as poly will usually break on its own, personally a fan of things like snails that are pretty helpless and unable to commit suicide. (depending on how the DM treats mental functions of polymorphed creatures)
I prefer tortoises.

holywhippet
2018-09-10, 03:35 AM

I'm not sure if that applies to polymorph. The example in the PHB is for bless stating that multiple bless spells on a character don't let a character roll multiple bless dice and that for the same spell cast multiple times you take the highest bonus.

Anyway, what about wildshape and then polymorph? Would you switch back to your wildshaped form when polymorph expires?

Oramac
2018-09-10, 07:27 AM
just polymorph his ally into a banana and watch the ape skin him and eat him alive :)

I laughed far too hard at this!

Feuerphoenix
2018-09-11, 03:13 AM
Well how about polymorph and true polymorph? They are different spells, so they should stack, right?