PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Rpg Gamer groups

Chaosticket
2018-09-09, 11:27 AM
I moved to a new city a few years ago. I found steady work and transitioned into finding tabletop roleplaying groups in the area. The most steady group was a Pathfinder Society campaign group. I lost contact when I started working on their scheduled meetup day. Ive been ignored whenever ive tried to setup sessions off schedule. So no games for me.

Recently I managed to find 3 groups. One is for a game called Shattered. The Second is for Pathfinder using Roll20. The third is Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition. I havent clicked with any of them.

I made 3 different types of characters using the 3 different systems. I submitted them and the none of the Game Masters informed me on any mistakes with the abilities, story, or group. So I try out my characters and find they dont fit with the style of what that particular GM is running. I got a Face Character fighting a Zombie Horde for one.

I dont know if I should restart my characters or leave the groups. Ive only put in about a month each.

What I hope to find in a group are actual friends interested in talking and cooperating.

Aneurin
2018-09-09, 01:43 PM
Aside from the character issues, are you enjoying the games? If you are, then consider making a new character that's more appropriate (and talk to the GM and other players about how to do that). If you aren't, then consider leaving - if you're not having fun, why bother investing the time and effort?

For picking a group? Well. Be choosy is the best advice I can really give. Think carefully about the pitch you are presented with; does it give you an idea of the game's content? Does it tell you something about the theme and tone? Make sure you ask a few questions to check that what you have in mind is actually going to be of use - if you're trying to make a social character, ask if there'll be a reasonable amount of social scenes to take part in.

If all a game pitch consists of is "we're playing system X", there's not really enough information to judge it by. And you should be judging it by the very simple criteria of "do I want to play this?"

I know that this advice isn't going to help you find games to play in, and I'm sorry about that, but hopefully it'll help you find a game you actually enjoy. The only other thing I can really suggest here is that you keep trying - sooner or later you'll find a group you mesh with.

Chaosticket
2018-09-09, 07:27 PM
Thats supportive, but I meant to ask where can I find game players who use all the splatbooks? If being friendly and roleplaying is rejected then what about the other direction? Im looking for Gamers that play RPGs.

Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 and Pathfinder have a lot of material to work with. So im looking for them. I think Im looking for Munchkins.

KillianHawkeye
2018-09-11, 06:08 PM
Unfortunately, there's not much better way to find out if a group is a good fit for you than actually going and playing with them a few times.

It seems like you now have some specific things that you'd like to know about a group before you join them, so be sure to have that list handy so you can ask those questions.

YohaiHorosha
2018-09-19, 07:16 AM
Step 1) know what you want, and be explicit about it: I want to play a crunchy game with people who like the crunch. I want a kill them all, take their stuff. Etc etc.
Step 2) actively tell people that's what you're looking for
Step 3) when you create a character, run the concept by the GM and the other players. Be honest about what you're trying to do with the character. If it's not going to fit, build another character. (Mope about it privately. I always do.)
Repeat step 3 until either you have a character that fits or you don't and realize you'd rather not play. If you walk away, buy everyone donuts (or something) as a "hey, i appreciate your time" gesture.

Other thing to think about.
You like playing crunchy games with lots of combat simulation. If you're struggling to find that, instead of finding a facsimile...do something completely different. Play a PBTA game. Fate. Fiasco. Like, anything that dictates completely different roleplay style, and different purpose. Something where min/max doesn't even make sense. Games that may not even have combat

Why? Because it'll be easier for you to integrate into a group where you have no preconceived notions of gameplay. You don't have unlimited familairity. There aren't 900 special rules for a thing.

Several things will happen:
1) you'll meet new people and have fewer expectations of gameplay
2) you'll learn new games
3) you'll adapt to different styles and types of roleplay
4) and/or you'll realize how curated you want your gameplay experience to be and will find new and specific ways to describe what you want and how you want your roleplay experience to be.

The thing about (4): the style of gameplay you're looking for isn't necessarily as popular as it once was. For example, 5e did away with the prevalence of splat books as required gameplay. In fact, their ruling of "one splat book allowed" in league play emphasizes this point. Not sure what pathfinder 2.0 will bring and how it'll either double-down on special rules ... or continue the general trend that the industry seems to be going in. If that's the case, I hope you find what you love about your style of gameplay that doesn't require all the things you think you need, because that may disappear in a few years.

Best of luck!