PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable stats for a Cheval de Frise ( and maybe other battlefield works)

Slayn82
2018-09-09, 05:47 PM
Since I'm planning to DM a military campaign, I've been looking for some time for some creative obstacles to challenge them on the battlefield. Thus, the Cheval de Frise.

In essence, its a large object, consisting on a log and several spears. It was used as anti - cavalry, in a role similar to what barbed wire plays in modern battlefields. It's built on sections of 10 ft, that can be chained to each other, and anchored into the ground. It weight's about 400 lbs. It acts as a battlefield trap.

The first parameter should be that when it's affixated, the terrain under it is considered occupied by it, and no one is considered it's ally. It doesn't offer cover against ranged attacks, and due to it's size, it prevents most melee fighting across it. In order to pass through it, without taking damage, while it's still intact, you need to suceed in an appropriate check: athletics, acrobatics or ride (if you are on a mount). Failure deals damage, and makes the party who made the attempt restrained until they use an standard action to pull themselves out.

Since it's mostly made from wood, and it's a large object, the Cheval de Frise gets AC 15 and 27 pvs. Vulnerability to fire and resistance to piercing damage I think are apropriate. Once broken down, the movement through the terrain it occupies becomes difficult.

The difficulty of the jump and damage it deals - since it's intended as an anti cavalry tool, it should pose a threat to a warhorse's 19 hp. I'd say 4d10 on failure sounds about right, and that makes it a Deadly trap for characthers 1-4. That would make the DC for the check to jump over is (16 - 20).

On the other hand, the stakes from an spiked pit trap deal only 2d10 damage. So, it could be argued that against medium creatures trying to jump over it, it deal's only 2d10 damage and the DC is (12-15).

Feedback is apreciated. Anyone willing to discuss?

Unoriginal
2018-09-09, 07:02 PM
Have you considered using the rules about traps in the Xanathar's or DMG? Might make it easier.

Laserlight
2018-09-09, 10:16 PM
The difficulty of the jump and damage it deals - since it's intended as an anti cavalry tool, it should pose a threat to a warhorse's 19 hp. I'd say 4d10

Sounds fairly high. You wouldn't expect a horse to kill himself on it; you'd expect him to say "Neigh, I am not going there." Perhaps 2d10 and the rider gets disadvantage on the check to go past /over it. Possibly the horse goes prone and the rider has to avoid falling off.

Slayn82
2018-09-10, 09:11 AM
Have you considered using the rules about traps in the Xanathar's or DMG? Might make it easier.
I used the trap and objects rules from DMG as my guidelines.

Sounds fairly high. You wouldn't expect a horse to kill himself on it; you'd expect him to say "Neigh, I am not going there." Perhaps 2d10 and the rider gets disadvantage on the check to go past /over it. Possibly the horse goes prone and the rider has to avoid falling off.

They were pretty letal for the first bunch of horses failing to cross. It was their screams that made the other horses hesitate. But at 19 HP, for game reasons, 2D10 still looks like an appropriate amount of damage. So, we can set the DC to 15.

Now, for something different - how about it being a DC 12 obstacle for Huge or greater creatures, with the added rules for Caltrops?

- Any creature Huge or greater that enters the area instead, must succeed on a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw or stop moving and take 2d10 piercing damage. Until the creature regains at least 1 hit point, its walking speed is reduced by 10 feet. A creature moving through the area at half speed doesn't need to make the saving throw.