PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Level 10 Flavor Archer

BigDirty
2018-09-09, 10:24 PM
Going to play in a 1 off adventure with new level 10 characters. I'm going to build an archer. The stats I rolled were high so multiclassing wont be a problem. I had 2 thoughts on what to run but neither seemed to be viable so I need some help, pls

1st thought: Halfling, or Gnome- 5 Assasin 3 Hunter 2 Fighter
Really wanted to use a Heavy crossbow and ride a mastiff and then I realized that small characters cant use Heavy Crossbows or even longbows. That and a rogue doesn't get 2 attacks so I was going to have to swap it with ranger 3/5.

2nd thought: Human- Ranger 5 Warlock 3 Fighter 2
I wanted the cool factor of the Lock splash with the Devil's Sight and Hexblade Curse. Hoping to summon my bow with the Moon Bow Invocation but not even sure if that works.

In this quick adventure (which will probably lead to more) we are an experienced band of Dragon Slayers who are down on our luck hired to kill an adult Green(maybe) Dragon. I fully expect our DM to be ruthless he is very experienced. We also get 1 rare or 2 uncommon magic items and 500g to start. I'll probably take Winged Boots and Cloak of Elvenkind. I just didnt want to run a Generic Elf archer and my stats are pretty high so multiclassing wont be an issue. Thx in advance

Mortis_Elrod
2018-09-09, 10:38 PM
Ok so a couple questions before anything else.

What are the stats you rolled?

What kind of Archer do you want to be? Xbow, Hand Xbow Skirmirsher, Far ranged sniping, Nova, Sustained, Mounted? etc...

What books are available to you? core? All official printed? Everything up to and including UA? which UAs?

Besides all that I'll say my favorite on magical archer is Kensei 8/Battlemaster 11. But I've been toying with the idea of an Eldritch Archer build: Hexblade 12/Revised Ranger Gloomstalker 5/Arcane Archer Fighter 3

Edit: Adjusted to level 10 this would look like Kensei 6/7 Battlemaster 4/3 and Hexblade 5/ Gloomstalker 3/Fighter 2

Vorpalchicken
2018-09-09, 10:43 PM
You could always do the classic valor bard archer, poaching Swift Quiver and Find Greater Steed as your magical secrets. Since you can't get Archery Fighting Style, I'd take a plain plus two bow as your rare item.

BigDirty
2018-09-09, 11:09 PM
Pretty much anything is a go book/UA wise

Stats Rolled: 17 16 16 15 13 11 (pretty stupid I know)

I really want to do the lock thing and really dont want to do the bard quiver build. I love the thought of a human archer with Devils Sight and able to summon his bow to him. Just sounds cool to me.

I think Halfling/Gnome/Goblin Xbow mounted archer is a pipe dream so I'm giving up on that for now.

I guess I just need help on the Lock thing. I dont really get how the Hexblade/Pact really work or if they work for a bow

Vorpalchicken
2018-09-09, 11:24 PM
Keep in mind the darkness trick won't work on dragons, but Ranger/Fighter/Warlock should be fine. If you took an extra Revised (since UA is AOK) Ranger level (delaying Warlock 3 maybe) you could have plus 4 damage on each shot versus dragons plus advantage against dragon breath and fear.
Oh also consider Close Quarters Shooter as well as Archery style to take advantage of disgusting UA goodness

CTurbo
2018-09-10, 12:01 AM
I'd go straight Gloom Stalker 5, Assassin 5

Sharpshooter and possibly Skulker

BigDirty
2018-09-10, 12:45 AM
What is so good about Gloom Stalker and Assassin? They seem to be the consensus picks. Is Assassin 5 better than 3 and 2 Fighter for Action Surge ?

Vorpalchicken
2018-09-10, 12:50 AM
Uncanny dodge and an extra sneak attack die I guess. I'd probably take the fighter levels.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-09-10, 01:05 AM
Pretty much what Vorpalchicken said

I would do 5 levels of Hexblade picking up Eldritch Smite, Improved Pact Weapon, and Thirsting Blade as your invocations, 4 Levels of Revised Gloomstalker Ranger picking up Archery fighting style, and Fighter 1 picking up Close Quarters Shooter Fighting style.

for race I would suggest Half-Elf and then pick up the Elven Accuracy Feat(boosting Cha)

Stats i would run it like this: Str 11/Dex 16/Con 15(+1 half elf)/Int 13(+1 Half elf)/Wis 16/ Cha 17(+3 half elf and feat) ending with this line up: 11/16/16/14/16/20

This will give you 20 Charisma, and 16 in con, wis, and dex . Start First level fighter so you have proficiency in str and con, bring your str save up and getting you best possible starting gear options.

For the other Feat i recommend Sharpshooter. You won't have Action surge but i think this is more worth it.
For your items Winged boots is fine, but also either pick up Bracers of Archery or Cloak of protection.

Breaking it down you'll have a Proff+ImpPctWpn+Archery+CQS+CHA -SS= +8 to hit and depending on the situation you could have advantage. a normal SS hit will do about 20.5 average damage but this isn't including Favored enemy, Hexblade Curse, and Hex/Hunter Mark.

First turn of Combat you will probably go first (+6 intitative with advantage on initiative) and have advantage on everyone you hit, and get a bonus attack that does 1d6 extra damage. So assuming its one of your favored enemies, and you use your bonus action for Hexblade's curse (more damage on average possible crit)

Total damage first turn with +8 to hit with advantage(double advantage from elven accuracy): which is about 89 average damage if you take the bracers of archery and hit every shot. with a decent chance of critting at least once since you have 19-20 crit range and super adv. If you E-Smite on crits only you'll pump out loads of damage.
Use Hex/Hunter's mark with a ranger spell slot after the first turn and you'll be fine. This is both high consistent damage and possibly high nova damage (4d8 force damage 2 times per short rest, save for crits/boss making it 8d8)

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-09-10, 01:15 AM
I guess I just need help on the Lock thing. I dont really get how the Hexblade/Pact really work or if they work for a bow

Be a Hexblade Warlock level 3+ and grab the following.

Hex Warrior: Use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for attack and damage rolls with one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. (current ranged options are Sling, Dart, Blowgun, Hand Crossbow, and the net)
Pact of the blade: this doesn't open any more ranged options but is required for the next bullet point.
Take the Improved Pact Weapon invocation: the weapon you conjure can be a shortbow, longbow, light crossbow, or heavy crossbow.

Congratulations you can now use charisma to attack with a longbow.

Optional features include:

1 level fighter dip for archery fighting style
Thirsting blade: 2 attacks instead of one
Eldritch Smite: expend one of your short rest spell slots to deal 6d8* extra damage and knock the target prone (more useful if used on your last attack or a crit.)
Sharpshooter feat for ignoring cover and range.

*If you are a 9th level warlock.

BigDirty
2018-09-10, 02:35 AM
Wow now you guys got me thinking! Problem with going 5 in Hex 4 Gloom is no extra attack right? Does it even matter at this point if I'm going eldritch blast? Man now I'm really twisted! So much cool factor on these. Gonna have to sleep on it! Blast or Bow which will it be? Thanks again the more input the better

Vogie
2018-09-10, 07:44 AM
Wow now you guys got me thinking! Problem with going 5 in Hex 4 Gloom is no extra attack right? Does it even matter at this point if I'm going eldritch blast? Man now I'm really twisted!

Blade pact 5 can get thirsting blade, giving you an extra attack.

I'd also suggest Arcane Archer Fighter 7/Warlock 3 (any Pact, any patron)

You'll be able to do the Darkness/Darkvision combo with both the actual Darkness spell (for large groups) as well as Shadow Arrow (for single targets). Both AA shots and Warlock spell slots refresh on short rests.

To round out the build, you'd go fighter up to getting the third attack, then either grab more warlock levels for Eldritch Smite (ranged knockdown to shoot things out of the sky!) or just going rogue to increase raw damage.

CTurbo
2018-09-10, 09:40 AM
What is so good about Gloom Stalker and Assassin? They seem to be the consensus picks. Is Assassin 5 better than 3 and 2 Fighter for Action Surge ?

The first turn synergies is what makes Gloom Stalker + Assassin such a great pairing. They work REALLY well together ESPECIALLY for archers.

As far as Rogue 5 vs Rogue 3, Fighter 2......

Rogue 5 gets 3d6 sneak damage, Uncanny Dodge, and a ASI/feat
Rogue 3, Fighter 2 gets 2d6 Sneak damage, Fighting Style, Second Wind, and Action Surge

Mortis_Elrod
2018-09-10, 10:34 AM
Wow now you guys got me thinking! Problem with going 5 in Hex 4 Gloom is no extra attack right? Does it even matter at this point if I'm going eldritch blast? Man now I'm really twisted! So much cool factor on these. Gonna have to sleep on it! Blast or Bow which will it be? Thanks again the more input the better

Thirsting blade my friend. Extra attack with your pact weapon.

BigDirty
2018-09-11, 01:08 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the input I felt my character definitely had a cool factor to it. I did go Hexblade 5 Gloom 4 Fighter 1.

The adventure was a blast we had to destroy a goblin town at the mouth of the entrance to gain access and the winged boots with Sharpshooter was just golden.

Our Pally/Fighter tank did the most damage while the dragon ko'd or Wizard and Warlock. Me and the Cleric were at single digit life when I blasted him out of the air and we swarmed him!

Thanks again everyone for all the input you all rock!!!:smallsmile: