PDA

View Full Version : It's that time of the year again

Bhu
2018-09-09, 10:40 PM
http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1193.0

Once again I shall be taking submissions for updating Uncle Kitties Guide to Halloween movies. I'm mostly looking for lesser known stuff that deserves more exposure.

The Fury
2018-09-10, 08:28 PM
Taking a quick glance at the list on the other forums, it looks like my top pick was already suggested-- Phantasm. It's an odd little classic that's well-remembered by horror fans and pretty much forgotten by everyone else.

As for others I could suggest that look like they haven't been mentioned yet, would Eraserhead be too well known? It's not quite horror, but your other thread had a category for movies that aren't strictly horror yet are disturbing to watch. Eraserhead would qualify for that, I'm sure. I've only seen it once and didn't sleep that night.

On the more horror/comedy end of things, I recently watched Frankenhooker, (for some reason, I forget why,) and I liked it a lot better than I probably should. Thanks largely to the absurd premise and the lead actress's goofy facial expressions.

Magic_Hat
2018-09-10, 08:46 PM
Fear(s) of the Dark (or Peur(s) du Noir): it's French and animated so I'm not sure how many people here in the states (and elsewhere) know about it.

Also Trick 'r Treat: not sure how obscure it is, but still worth a watch and worthy of such a list.

Algeh
2018-09-10, 10:30 PM
Despite almost certainly not being what you're looking for, I recommend Garfield's Halloween Adventure, purely because it is far better than you would expect something called "Garfield's Halloween Adventure" to be (which is, admittedly, an extremely low bar, particularly if you're only familiar with recent decades of the newspaper comic and not the oddly decent quality of several of the 80s tv specials).

I have no helpful suggestions.

Rynjin
2018-09-10, 10:34 PM
There's a Wolfcop 2 coming out soon.

The Fury
2018-09-11, 10:09 AM
Fear(s) of the Dark (or Peur(s) du Noir): it's French and animated so I'm not sure how many people here in the states (and elsewhere) know about it.

Looking it up, it looks like one of the folks that contributed to Peur(s) du Noir is Charles Burns. I'm interested based on that alone! Also, it's not a movie but Charles Burns's graphic novel Black Hole... pretty great piece of horror.

Gnoman
2018-09-11, 03:44 PM
A few years ago, I watched a movie called The Awakening on Netflix. It doesn't seem to have reviewed well, but I thought it was pretty good.

Bhu
2018-09-12, 01:30 AM

Also Trick 'r Treat: not sure how obscure it is, but still worth a watch and worthy of such a list.

I've got both of those. <am 2017 and 2018 must not have been great for horror I haven't got many answers elsewhere :(

comicshorse
2018-09-12, 11:17 AM
Lets try 'Aaaaaaaah !'

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4501706/?ref_=nv_sr_4

And 'Prevenge'

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5154288/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Bhu
2018-09-13, 12:27 AM
I loved alice lowe in Sightseers, but for some reason Prevenge is stubbornly unavailable in the US.

Bohandas
2018-09-13, 11:56 AM
Lesser known horror comedies:

*Dracula: Dead and Loving It- A spof of Dracula with Leslie Nielson and Mel Brooks. This is the best movie out of the ones I'm about to list.

*Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday The Thirteenth- Came out around the same time as Scary Movie and parodies most of the same things (Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, etc.)

*Paranormal Movie- Came out around the same time as A Haunted House and parodies most of the same things (Paranormal Activity, etc) but has far fewer pacing issues than A Haunted House did

EDIT:
And I now notice that the Scary Movie series and A Haunted House series themselves don't seem to be on your list, even though there's a section for horror comedy

Peelee
2018-09-13, 12:08 PM
Over the Garden Wall. It's a miniseries, and it's not horror. It is, however, fantastic. It's ten episodes, each around ten minutes, so if you binge it it's kind of like a movie. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Should be on Hulu, IIRC.

Bhu
2018-09-16, 09:31 PM
has anyone seen any of these:

The Book of Secrets (2017)
The Scarapist
Demon (2012 and 2015)
Grace's Room
The Shades
The Arc
Twelvepole
Purgatory (2016)
Hatchet County
Luz (2018)
The Ghost Bride
November (2017)
Good Manners (2017)
Dances With Werewolves
Living Arrangements
The Black Fables
Game of Werewolves
House of the Wolf Man
Another Wolfcop
Wrewolf: The Beast Among Us
La Poil De La Bete
Boar
Queen Crab
It Came from the Desert
House Shark
Sicilian Vampire
The Carmilla Movie (2017)
Shadowglade
Pentagramm
Therapy for a Vampire
The Countess (2009)
Kolysanka
Nucigen House
The Transfiguration
Trouble Every Day
Styria
Vidar the Vampire
Midnight Son
White Skin
Tokyo Vampire Hotel
The Death of Alice Blue
Bloodsucking Bastards
Livid
Hi-eo-ro
The Devil's Gravestone
Truckstop Bloodsuckers
Summer of Blood
Higanjima
The Night Watchmen
Chimeres

Bhu
2018-09-30, 11:31 PM
Also has anyone seen these:

The Healing (2012)
The Babysitter
Amer
Vacancy
What the Waters Left Behind
Cry Wolf
Summer of 84
The Love Witch
Styria
Prevenge
Bunnyman Massacre
Perimetro Cero
An Accidental Zombie (Named Ted)
Dead Sunrise
Lowriders vs Zombies from Space
Bong of the Living Dead
Still
Plague (2014)
Heaven Is Hell (2014)
Anna and the Apocalypse (2017)
I Am a Hero (2015)
Go Goa Gone (2013)
Daddy (2003)
Dead Banging (2013)
The Night Eats the World (2018)
Ravenous (2017)
Nina Forever (2015)
Boy Eats Girl

Wanjigi
2018-10-11, 02:14 AM
When you just have to take a serious vacation to Dubai as this hustle of working 24/7 without a rest aint worth it

Bhu
2018-10-14, 07:28 PM
Round 3 of 'has anyone seen these';

Coco (2017)
Birdboy:The Forgotten Children
The Return of the Forest Monster
Monstrum
Nighbeasts (2010)
The Nightmare (2015)
Utburd
Lifechanger
Dave Made a Maze
Unholy Women
Hostile (2017)
Monsterland
Cold Skin
Monsters (2015)
The Ritual
Ghostroads: A Japanese Rock N Roll Ghost Story (2017)
Dorm (2006)
Shadows (2007)
Ghost Stories (I) (2017)

Peelee
2018-10-15, 09:34 AM
Ghostroads: A Japanese Rock N Roll Ghost Story (2017)

OK, hold up, how many movies with that title were there?

comicshorse
2018-10-15, 01:38 PM
For a second I thought I'd actually seen one, then I noticed the year for 'Monsters' meant it wasn't the one I was thinking of :smallfrown:

Legato Endless
2018-10-15, 09:57 PM
I've seen The Babysitter. Or at least the 2017 film. It's a netflix horror-comedy about a kid and...his babysitter. It's a bit of light amusement, nothing incredible, but entertaining enough once the plot gets going. There's a surprisingly charismatic performance from the jock teenager and some decent home invasion hijinks.

Wookieetank
2018-10-22, 01:53 PM
Also has anyone seen these:
Cry Wolf

A decent slasher film with enough twists to keep it interesting.

Round 3 of 'has anyone seen these';
Coco (2017)
The Ritual

Can almost quote Coco in its entirety thanks to having a 5y/o, but its a solid Pixar film and has some great music.

The Ritual is an interesting take with critter in the woods type setup. Has some neat tie ins to Norse mythology as well.

JoshL
2018-10-22, 02:16 PM
I have seen Trouble Every Day. Low key French film from Claire Denis, with some intense horrific moments. Probably more so because of how quiet and introspective the rest of the film is. Soundtrack by the band tindersticks. They did a few of Denis' films, and as a fan, that was how I discovered Denis back in the 90s. This one was my favorite. Here's the vocal theme, but the rest of the instrumental score is in this style https://youtu.be/7q9MY-tQbpw

Oh, and I've heard good things about Dave Made A Maze, but haven't seen it yet.

Telonius
2018-10-22, 03:03 PM
9-year-old me thought that "Spaced Invaders" was about the funniest thing ever. It's technically a Halloween movie, riffing off the "War of the Worlds" broadcast. (I haven't seen it in about 20 years and I'm sure it hasn't aged well).

Bhu
2018-10-22, 10:36 PM
A decent slasher film with enough twists to keep it interesting.

Can almost quote Coco in its entirety thanks to having a 5y/o, but its a solid Pixar film and has some great music.

The Ritual is an interesting take with critter in the woods type setup. Has some neat tie ins to Norse mythology as well.

Not that Coco, this one; https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7002100/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_4

Wookieetank
2018-10-26, 08:44 AM
Not that Coco, this one; https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7002100/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_4

Huh, didn't realize there was more than the 1.

Bhu
2018-10-27, 11:21 PM
Alas the pixar one almost obliterates the ability to find stuff on the similarly named horror movie.