PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Single class favorite choose one and tell me why

ZorroGames
2018-09-10, 09:12 AM
New season and tomorrow is my first game in Waterdeep.

Ran all the multi classes I am interested through my head but basically thought just going single class which is what I did from 0D&D through AD&D/1st - my play in AD&D/2nd was too short to evaluate.

So, choose from the list below, and only the list below, and tell me why you think I should seriously favor that one over the others, please.

Mountain Dwarf Champion with Mercenary Veteran Background

Mountain Dwarf Battlemaster with Guild Merchant (Variant Guild Artisan) background

Forest Gnome Wizard Illusionist with Entrtainer Background

Human Variant Wizard with Urchin Background

Rock Gnome Wizard with Criminal Background

Standard Human Knowledge Cleric from Mulhorand with Far Traveler Background.

Please do not suggest changes from the above choices because these are what I am considering as options, nothing else.. Thank you in advance for your helpful insights on these limited choices.

KorvinStarmast
2018-09-10, 11:34 AM
Human Variant Wizard with Urchin Background

Standard Human Knowledge Cleric from Mulhorand with Far Traveler Background.
I like the wiz/urchin for stealth, sleight of Hand, thieve's tools, disguise kit: this is a bank job, as I understand it, so nice fit for the scenario. Suggestion: pick the Alert feat.

I like the Knowledge Cleric for languages, Skills, and Expertise. And I like clerics, raw bias, since I like to play support characters. far traveler is not a background that I ever cared for, but I like the RP richness that you can bring with a foreign cleric in Waterdeep.

Kadesh
2018-09-10, 12:05 PM
Rock Gnome Wizard. You can actually contribite, and you're not a vHuman, and you're actually going to be able to be interesting and relevant. Far traveller is well and 'good', but there is little that is gained about 'not being from a place' - running Out of the Abyss trying to shoehorn a character without ties into the area either makes the background irrelevant, or makes them obnoxious as they force the RP of 'back in Mulhorand'.

ZorroGames
2018-09-10, 12:28 PM
Rock Gnome Wizard. You can actually contribite, and you're not a vHuman, and you're actually going to be able to be interesting and relevant. Far traveller is well and 'good', but there is little that is gained about 'not being from a place' - running Out of the Abyss trying to shoehorn a character without ties into the area either makes the background irrelevant, or makes them obnoxious as they force the RP of 'back in Mulhorand'.

Okay but why is a VHuman a bad thing. Or did I infer too much?

Whit
2018-09-10, 12:29 PM
Im all for non standard characters that stand out. Yet what AL lacks and most DMs is adding depth to yiur character with background story growth. Nothing better than a memorable character that people talk about many years later and that can be used as retired npc interactions.
1. MD Fighter mercenary . Very basic unless you have never played a MD.
2. MD BMaster. Guild merchant. I like guild merchant, but if yiur dm doesn’t do the adding depth like you eventually get a store or something regarding your business. Hey your own ale company. Fir class it’s tiny bit better than champion but look at manouvers and what would be used.
3. Forest gnome ILL entertainer. Not made often has great role play in towns but I would ask how the dm handles ILL spells. It could be strong or very weak. But I like this one
4. HV wiz urchin. Could work. I like urchin as it’s different from majority of standard. Also as varient since it’s wizard instead of the same old HV sharpshooter GWM. I like this one as well
5. RG wizard criminal another interesting choice and tinker toys.
6. St cleric know. Bland. And I’d rather have u pick V H so yiu could get a feat and be extra different.

ZorroGames
2018-09-10, 12:30 PM
I like the wiz/urchin for stealth, sleight of Hand, thieve's tools, disguise kit: this is a bank job, as I understand it, so nice fit for the scenario. Suggestion: pick the Alert feat.

I like the Knowledge Cleric for languages, Skills, and Expertise. And I like clerics, raw bias, since I like to play support characters. far traveler is not a background that I ever cared for, but I like the RP richness that you can bring with a foreign cleric in Waterdeep.

Okay, thanks. I have until tomorrow at 1830 hours to choose. Sounds like a good combo.

BaconAwesome
2018-09-10, 12:31 PM
Rock gnome wizard. Gnomes are super fun, wizards are very useful and have lots to do, and criminal has a lot of utility to an urban campaign.

ZorroGames
2018-09-10, 12:36 PM
Im all for non standard characters that stand out. Yet what AL lacks and most DMs is adding depth to yiur character with background story growth. Nothing better than a memorable character that people talk about many years later and that can be used as retired npc interactions.
1. MD Fighter mercenary . Very basic unless you have never played a MD.
2. MD BMaster. Guild merchant. I like guild merchant, but if yiur dm doesn’t do the adding depth like you eventually get a store or something regarding your business. Hey your own ale company. Fir class it’s tiny bit better than champion but look at manouvers and what would be used.
3. Forest gnome ILL entertainer. Not made often has great role play in towns but I would ask how the dm handles ILL spells. It could be strong or very weak. But I like this one
4. HV wiz urchin. Could work. I like urchin as it’s different from majority of standard. Also as varient since it’s wizard instead of the same old HV sharpshooter GWM. I like this one as well
5. RG wizard criminal another interesting choice and tinker toys.
6. St cleric know. Bland. And I’d rather have u pick V H so yiu could get a feat and be extra different.

3-6 possible AL DMs and each treats ILL spells different. Good point, I do not get to pick DM so definitely a factor to consider.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-09-10, 12:40 PM
I 100% agree with Rock Gnome Wizard Criminal. I'd either go Illusionist or potentially even better for a criminal, Enchanter! Hypnotic Gaze is so potent in a heist/criminal setting. Gnomes are fun/small/sneaky/charismatic. Wizards always have a lot to contribute. It's a weird build for a thief, which I almost played once. I love it!