PDA

View Full Version : NPC "Level" Scaling?

the_brazenburn
2018-09-10, 09:34 AM
I recently played through Out of the Abyss (mostly as prep for when I DM it later) and I noticed that it places significantly more emphasis on NPC development than most other campaigns do. Since some of these NPCs (most notably Jimjar, Ront, and Eldeth) are likely to stay with the characters for most of the campaign, does it make sense to have them grow in strength with the PCs? I thought it did, so I developed a system for "leveling up" NPCs.

1. An NPC's stat block title is its class. A duergar increases in the duergar class, a veteran in the veteran class, etc.
2. An NPC's starting level is its challenge rating. A challenge rating of less than one is 0th level (i.e. unskilled).
3. When an NPC gains enough XP to level up (based on PC chart), the following rules apply:

If the NPC's class has a variation one level higher than its current level, its stats become that of that creature. (Quaggoth-thonot). If not, the NPC gains one extra hit die, an increase to proficiency bonus if at the appropriate PC level, and an ASI if at a level with a multiple of 3. (Orc-advanced orc).

4. Spellcasters gain an additional spell known at each odd-numbered level and learn a new level of spell at each appropriate PC level. (Mage-advanced mage).

Any input?

CTurbo
2018-09-10, 09:53 AM
I always level up my long term NPCs. I always have them level up whenever the PCs level up. There is nothing to it. They also upgrade weapons and armor as well. I also don't always follow regular character rules when leveling up NPCs. I had a NPC Bard with 22 Cha to start. I once gave a NPC Guard +2 Str all of a sudden just because I felt like he needed it.