PDA

View Full Version : Fighting style ?

Whit
2018-09-10, 03:46 PM
“You can’t take a fighting style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.” PHB pg 72.
Questions
1. Champion gets to choose again at 10th lvl so does it contradict the above statement.
2. What if I multiclass fighter and then ranger.
Do I get both at the required level?

Draken
2018-09-10, 03:46 PM
“You can’t take a fighting style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.” PHB pg 72.
Questions
1. Champion gets to choose again at 10th lvl so does it contradict the above statement.

That just means you can't pick the same fighting style twice to stack the benefits.

GlenSmash!
2018-09-10, 03:50 PM
A Champion 10/Ranger 2/Paladin2 will have 4 fighting styles, but they all must be different fighting styles.

They couldn't take Defense 4 times for +4AC while wearing armor for example, or Archery 4 times for +8 to hit with Ranged Weapons.

But they could take Defense at Fighter 1, Dueling at Fighter(Champion) 10, Archery at Ranger 2, and Great Weapon Fighting at Paladin 2.

qube
2018-09-10, 03:54 PM
ninja'd :mitd:

That just means you can't pick the same fighting style twice to stack the benefits.Yup. No fighter1/ranger2/paladin2 for +3 AC (3x fighting defense)

However, you for example could take 2-weapon fighting, defense and archery and launch a hail of darts upon your enemy.

Arkhios
2018-09-13, 01:02 AM
Questions

I'd like you to take a good long look at the part I emphasized above.

It's a chance to recall basic grammar, too.

...point being, what others have said is correct; 'a fighting style option' refers to one (1) specific listed fighting style option. You can take each fighting style only once. But, you can have multiple different fighting styles in total.

Kadesh
2018-09-13, 02:38 AM
I'd like you to take a good long look at the part I emphasized above.

It's a chance to recall basic grammar, too.

...point being, what others have said is correct; 'a fighting style option' refers to one (1) specific listed fighting style option. You can take each fighting style only once. But, you can have multiple different fighting styles in total.

Interesting you use Grammar as the example to differentiate between option (as in the freedom to choose) and option (as in one of the choices between which you can choose).

Your condescension is both unnecessary and ironic.

Arkhios
2018-09-13, 11:40 AM
Interesting you use Grammar as the example to differentiate between option (as in the freedom to choose) and option (as in one of the choices between which you can choose).

Your condescension is both unnecessary and ironic.

I didn't say 'option' is the key here, 'a' is.

Stop putting words in my mouth.

Kadesh
2018-09-13, 11:44 AM
Should have been clearer with your grammar then.

Arkhios
2018-09-13, 11:48 AM
Should have been clearer with your grammar then.

Obvious flaming attempt is obvious. I (might) feel compelled to report that.

Kadesh
2018-09-13, 12:34 PM
Obvious flaming attempt is obvious. I (might) feel compelled to report that.

No flaming. Seriously. You should have been clearer with your grammar to emphasise the thing you were actually trying to emphasise.