PDA

View Full Version : Finding Spell Components

TheCleverGuy
2018-09-10, 04:46 PM
I'm playing a Gloom Stalker Ranger and just hit level 4. I've so far avoided taking any spells with material components (not hard to do), since I didn't start with a component pouch or arcane focus. However, at next level, I'll get the spell Rope Trick as part of my Gloom Stalker magic, and that spell does require material components (powdered corn and twisted parchment, not to mention a length of rope).

I looked up component pouches in the PHB and they're listed at 25gp. If I was unable or unwilling to pay that much, how would I go about acquiring the necessary materials? Is there a standard for that kind of thing?

JackPhoenix
2018-09-10, 04:52 PM
Is there a standard for that kind of thing?

Yes. It's "Ask your GM".

TheCleverGuy
2018-09-10, 04:58 PM
Yes. It's "Ask your GM".

As a DM, how would you handle it?

Tiadoppler
2018-09-10, 05:03 PM

Try getting some advice on an online forum.

But seriously, folks:

Material components that do not have a cost associated with them are not meant to have a significant monetary cost. A short length of rope, some corn and parchment shouldn't cost more than a few copper pieces, and pretty much any village should be able to provide it.

The "standard solution" really is to buy a focus or component pouch and just handwave the problem away. Tracking materials is traditional, and it's important for more rare or expensive spells, but for lower power spells it's not meant to be a major concern, and it's certainly not supposed to be a time-consuming part of the game.

Frankly, as a DM, if a player told me that they were going to a nearby farm and spending 25 copper pieces on a baggy of corn, a couple pieces of parchment and a foot of rope so they could cast a spell, I'd give them a thumbs up and promptly forget about it, because tracking material components is no fun for the DM either.

TheCleverGuy
2018-09-10, 05:47 PM
Material components that do not have a cost associated with them are not meant to have a significant monetary cost. A short length of rope, some corn and parchment shouldn't cost more than a few copper pieces, and pretty much any village should be able to provide it.

The "standard solution" really is to buy a focus or component pouch and just handwave the problem away. Tracking materials is traditional, and it's important for more rare or expensive spells, but for lower power spells it's not meant to be a major concern, and it's certainly not supposed to be a time-consuming part of the game.

Frankly, as a DM, if a player told me that they were going to a nearby farm and spending 25 copper pieces on a baggy of corn, a couple pieces of parchment and a foot of rope so they could cast a spell, I'd give them a thumbs up and promptly forget about it, because tracking material components is no fun for the DM either.

Thanks, that's helpful. I doubt my DM would the type to care very much about that sort of minutia, but I wasn't sure if there was a rule or accepted practice among a majority of DMs. Sounds like I won't have to worry too much (but ill probably spring for the pouch anyway).

nickl_2000
2018-09-10, 05:51 PM
Thanks, that's helpful. I doubt my DM would the type to care very much about that sort of minutia, but I wasn't sure if there was a rule or accepted practice among a majority of DMs. Sounds like I won't have to worry too much (but ill probably spring for the pouch anyway).

Honestly, yes just buy the pouch. They aren't that expensive and once you buy it you no longer have that problem again. It's worth it not to have to think about it.

JackPhoenix
2018-09-10, 05:52 PM

Pretty much what Tiadoppler said. Few copper pieces for the material, or you may try searching for it, if you're in an area where such thing would be available. Component pouch solves the problem.

Note that Ranger can't use spellcasting focus, unlike paladin and full casters.

Laserlight
2018-09-10, 06:02 PM
As a DM, the only spell components I pay attention to are the expensive ones which get consumed. Usually for Revivify and such. Other than that, it's just fluff.

lperkins2
2018-09-10, 08:49 PM
I actually took the time to figure a bunch of this out when I was playing an 11 charisma Bard. Since he wasn't going to be casting flashy spells, I designed my whole spell list around 'what doesn't have a save, and has readily available material components'. Spent like 5 silvers on some small containers for holding it all. Had the advantage that he didn't look like a magic user, no instrument, no component pouch.

Unoriginal
2018-09-11, 02:13 AM
Note that the components are consumated only if the spell precise so.

So you really just need to go shopping in a grovery store once for your Rope Trick spell.

NinaWu
2018-09-11, 07:08 AM
easiest thing to do is grab the components pouch or a focus.
most material components for lesser spells are dirt cheap and quite common anyways, so perhaps just look around (or 'procure' yourself the components)

Blacky the Blackball
2018-09-11, 07:32 AM
As a DM, the only spell components I pay attention to are the expensive ones which get consumed. Usually for Revivify and such. Other than that, it's just fluff.

Same here. And even then I don't force the players to keep track of how much of which component they have*. I'm happy for them to just cross off the gold value of the components used at the time of casting, and assume that they replace them during downtime.

*Unless they're stranded on a desert island or similar and getting hold of equipment and components is being used as a plot device.